Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Who wants to join in a court case against SAS?

Old May 26, 2014, 3:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver

As SAS structurally refuses to put priority luggage on the belt first and as SAS refuses to compensate (even if you paid for it via an expensive SAS Plus or Business ticket), it's time to take their behavior to court (and hopefully also get compensation there).

As we have a better case when we join forces, I'm wondering if there's anyone who'd want to join here?
Old May 26, 2014, 3:59 am

Programs: SK Diamond
I am always among the first to recieve my luggage with SAS due to the pritag, so no thank you.
Old May 26, 2014, 4:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlightCancelled
I am always among the first to recieve my luggage with SAS due to the pritag, so no thank you.
I'm always among the last. Always. Especially in OSL and AMS they refuse to respect the tags. Staff is usually quite rude and refuses to take a complaint or to do something with the situation. Most excuses are just pathetic. Last one was that staff in IAD was to blame for faulty loading of the aircraft (despite staff in CPH loaded the flight to OSL).

Which airport are you talking about? CPH? I have quite good experiences myself there. In case of OSL: which magic do you apply?
Old May 26, 2014, 4:09 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by FlightCancelled
Also at SAS hubs or just at airports that honour this properly? It works fine for me at NRT and US airports but fails 95% of the time in ARN and CPH.

While it's a big step to take it to court, this should be common courtesy and SAS shouldn't be providing perks half-assed. It doesn't take a whole lot of instruction to tell the luggage handlers to put the bags with the orange tag on the belt first and once they are all on there you proceed with the rest. It's completely unacceptable that SAS can't manage such a simple principe.
Old May 26, 2014, 4:13 am

Years back I had huge issues on this - and complained to SAS about it several times - usually with good response (but no immediate improvement). I must say however, that the past few years it had worked quite nice (CPH, EWR, SFO, ORD). Every now and then there is a miss, but I am OK with that, as long as it is usually working. And it is. So I am not in.
Old May 26, 2014, 4:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
While it's a big step to take it to court, this should be common courtesy and SAS shouldn't be providing perks half-assed.
The main points here are that I am sort of forced to fly with *A because of my employer, that SK handles all relevant *A luggage in OSL and that SAS refuses to take a complaint, to even take me seriously, let alone compensate me for my loss of time (I land into OSL and AMS over 50 times per year. That's on average 50 times 20 minutes, or 1000 minutes, also known as 17 hours lost per year in my life). It may be a nice wake up call for SAS as well.

As the SK response in most cases (if any at all) varies from indifferent to rude and usually contains a lot of lies, I see no other option than to take it to court. And in that case, as I know that there's a lot of others with big issues on this, I figured we may be stronger if we act together.

And please don't forget that it's not courtesy, it's actually something you pay hard cash for in Plus and Business. You pay for a product you don't get. It's like ordering an iPhone and only receive the charger. In case of Gold or Diamond status, you also have a contract with SAS which states that it's your right. It's part of the conditions of the bonus program to which you agreed.

Last edited by UltraRant; May 26, 2014 at 4:49 am
Old May 26, 2014, 7:08 am

Programs: SK Diamond
Originally Posted by UltraRant
I'm always among the last. Always. Especially in OSL and AMS they refuse to respect the tags. Staff is usually quite rude and refuses to take a complaint or to do something with the situation. Most excuses are just pathetic. Last one was that staff in IAD was to blame for faulty loading of the aircraft (despite staff in CPH loaded the flight to OSL).

Which airport are you talking about? CPH? I have quite good experiences myself there. In case of OSL: which magic do you apply?
In my OSL works fine for pritag, though I don't have much experience with international arrivals as I try to avoid OSL and rather use CPH as BGO is my main airport.

IAD is the only airport where I don't think my luggage came first (or any pritags came first) but that is indeed the exception and not the rule, and almost all other Scandinavian and European airport I visit with SAS manage to get luggage with pritags first on the belt.
Old May 26, 2014, 7:41 am

For me in CPH it is hit or miss, mostly it was a miss.

In general I think the baggage handling in CPH is pretty bad - they have a lot of belts but only run 3 or so at the sime time. Last time I arrived from SFO they unloaded 4 wide/bodies which arrived at around the same time on to one belt - had to wait nearly an hour to get my luggage - crammed in between hordes of people.

SK and CPH baggage handlers made me really minimize my baggage - if it is possible I never check baggage anymore and only travel with cabin baggage.

So I only check bags like once or twice a year and can wait. It is annoying but I'm not sure taking it to court would make it any better - btw. I'm not even sure a complaint like this would be admitted for hearing in court in the first place.
Old May 26, 2014, 9:15 am

Programs: SK*Gold
It's work well for me at OSL.
Old May 26, 2014, 9:48 am

You will be laughed at. Prioritized luggage handling doesn't mean that it will arrive within x minutes. It means that they will prioritize it to the best of their abilities.

It's hardly the promise you make it out to be and you would have to show that they consistently fail to give you the luggage earlier than if it wasn't prioritized (which is impossible).
Old May 26, 2014, 10:01 pm

Programs: Eurobonus
What kind of proof will you present in court ? @:-)
Old May 26, 2014, 11:59 pm

Programs: SK Eurobonus Diamond (Lifetime Star Gold), Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum)
I agree with you that SAS luggage handling in CPH is really bad and that priority handling does not work. Yes, once in a while your luggage with priority tags comes out first on the belt, but most of the time the priority luggage is either mixed with all the rest or it comes out last. Really annoying as SK own the operation and should be able to control it

However, I do not believe that a court case regarding this will have any chance at all.

Svantevit
Old May 27, 2014, 12:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by theddo
You will be laughed at. Prioritized luggage handling doesn't mean that it will arrive within x minutes. It means that they will prioritize it to the best of their abilities.
You have no idea what priority luggage is about, do you? It's not about being on belt within x minutes, it's about putting it on the belt first, ahead of all other luggage instead of as the last bags, which SAS does by default. As SAS always leaves long breaks in between the luggage delivery (4 bags, 2 minutes break, 5 bags again, 3 minutes break, etc), the time difference can be up to 50 minutes (the absolute record so far) between the first and the last bag.

No, I won't be laughed at. Only by people like you, maybe. And yes, court will take it seriously. It will even take it more seriously if more people join. As long as no one stands up against SAS, they will get away with their behavior. One of my friends is actually a lawyer and she pointed out that I can always bring it to the 'tinghuset'. I hadn't thought about it myself, to be honest, I was just completely fed up with SAS, their rude arrogance and their infinite lazy stupidity. I would have been kicked out of my job several times already if I made only half the mistakes SAS makes.

As said, what most of you completely miss or fail to understand is that it's actually part of a product you buy with cash and agreed in a contract when traveling in business or plus: it's not a free service you actually can leave up to the discretion of the airline (like free upgrades based on status). Would you be equally fine if you were refused entry to the lounge every time you bought a Plus ticket? And refused fast lane security as well? You paid for it. SAS advertises with it as part of the product. So if they don't deliver, they should compensate, which is what they refuse to do. Even when it comes as part of your EuroBonus status it is part of a contract and something you thus are obliged to get according to it. And a part I never seem to get in OSL. A part the other party in the contract refuses to deliver, deliberately and without any compensation. Which is beyond annoying. Which is also punishable according to Norwegian law.

What proof I have? Tons. Don't worry about that.

Anyway, it seems that most of you are willing to pay for a product you don't get and are completely fine with it. That's ok, that's your decision. Please let me know when you need something, like a phone, a flight ticket or anything else. You can order it at my place and I will only send you the box or half the product and refuse to compensate you for the missing parts. If it works for you with SAS, it should work as well with me.

For me the circus of incompetence at SAS is costing me too many hours of my life (yes, about 17 hours per year) to let it go.
Old May 27, 2014, 10:27 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
It is irritating and you will not win anything IMHO. But it will hit the media and might actually make SAS do something
Old May 27, 2014, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
As a *G from United MileagePlus I get priority tag checked luggage without flying SK+/Biz. So what grounds would all of those flyers have in your court case? It's not a service I paid for when I flew GO CDG-OSL-ARN, I'll also get priority tags this summer in Go on TXL-CPH-TXL.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.