Gift gold card

Old Feb 24, 2016, 2:26 pm

Programs: SK-EBD
Originally Posted by tgj1974
Especially also since it lets you gift 3 gold cards if you get diamond only once - 1 upon obtaining status, 1 in your year and 1 in your 3 months as gold with diamond card.
That is exactly what I have achieved and can’t be unhappy about that part.

But what sense should it make to have 3 months’ time instead of 12 to donate the gold card? A gold card is a gold card, and the validity period won’t be influenced by that.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by Tango Alpha
That is exactly what I have achieved and can’t be unhappy about that part.

But what sense should it make to have 3 months’ time instead of 12 to donate the gold card? A gold card is a gold card, and the validity period won’t be influenced by that.
That this works seems to be more like an IT glitch than intended. Enjoy it will it lasts.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by fassy
Never got this grace period thing... either you are Diamond, Gold or whatever or you are not. That "Oh we extend the status by three months but actually you do not have that status anymore" is nonsense.
You don’t mean that, fassy. Do you? Or did I express myself badly?

My EB-card has always had 3 months of validity after my earning year ended. And not just the card. Also the full privilegies.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 2:42 pm

That this works seems to be more like an IT glitch than intended. Enjoy it will it lasts.
Certainly not an IT glitch. Maybe unintended generosity from the marketing people behind the gift a card. This falls back to the “grace period”
Old Feb 24, 2016, 2:51 pm

You don’t mean that, fassy. Do you? Or did I express myself badly?

My EB-card has always had 3 months of validity after my earning year ended. And not just the card. Also the full privilegies.
I never "downgraded", so I don't know. What is printed on your boarding pass in that time? EBD or EBG? I understood you as "It says EBG but my card still says EBD".

Certainly not an IT glitch. Maybe unintended generosity from the marketing people behind the gift a card. This falls back to the “grace period”
Unintended generosity for sure, I think the rules are not enforced by the IT, so I would call it a glitch.

Anyway, as long as it works enjoy, you also get three gifts from the goodies bag... lucky you!
Old Feb 24, 2016, 2:52 pm

Data point. I just gifted a Silver card today. The recipient email didn't say anything about "claim in x days"
Old Feb 24, 2016, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I never "downgraded", so I don't know. What is printed on your boarding pass in that time? EBD or EBG? I understood you as "It says EBG but my card still says EBD".

Unintended generosity for sure, I think the rules are not enforced by the IT, so I would call it a glitch.

Anyway, as long as it works enjoy, you also get three gifts from the goodies bag... lucky you!
Your status runs 3 months beyond your qualification year, to give them time to make and send a new card. In that period you have the status of the prior year. This also shows online. It is not a specific SK thing, JL has it as well. So does Marriott, Hilton and IHG in the hotel world, though only two months.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 2:58 pm

Sure, but I guess they did not intent that you have another shot at the gift a gold card perk in that three months. I guess their idea was to have that perk once in every qualified membership year.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 10:04 am

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Sure, but I guess they did not intent that you have another shot at the gift a gold card perk in that three months. I guess their idea was to have that perk once in every qualified membership year.
Thanks a lot for your answer to my question about existing gold-card recipients. Like you, I've been wondering about the grace period. If it is true that you get to donate a fresh gold card in the 3 month transition to a soft landing, it also, theoretically, ought to be possible to donate 2 gold cards in the case where a diamond card holder renews their status without having given out any cards in the previous year. Only for 3 months, of course, after which one of the gifting privileges would expire. In practice, though, I also suspect that SAS' software is implemented in the simplest way imaginable and no such special cases are considered.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 2:30 pm

Has the rules for validity of the gifted gold card been changed (reduced). Or went something wrong in my case?

I gave my daughter a gold card at the end of February. When she received the card, it shows validity through March 2017.

Her EB-period follows calendar year – so shouldn’t it be through March 2018?

It has been reported here, that the gifted gold card follows the rules of a honest earned one:
- The rest of current period
- The next 12 month period
- 3 months extra

Last June I gave my son a gold card. He has also jan-dec. He’s card from June 2015 is valid through March 2017.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Has the rules for validity of the gifted gold card been changed (reduced). Or went something wrong in my case?

I gave my daughter a gold card at the end of February. When she received the card, it shows validity through March 2017.

It has been reported here, that the gifted gold card follows the rules of a honest earned one:
- 3 months extra

Last June I gave my son a gold card. He has also jan-dec. He’s card from June 2015 is valid through March 2017.
The card I gave away followed the current year of the recipient, so the remaining 11 months of that EB year plus grace period. I only had one try to sample from.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN* (*G), EBG (*G)
+1
Old Apr 4, 2016, 12:55 pm

Programs: More than one

- 3 months extra

I gave away a gold card in September last year. The receiver have qualification period February - January. His gold card will expire 04/17. Whether they have changed the validity length of the gift card I don't know. On the EB page it only says. "The number of months valid for the recipient of the donated EuroBonus card upgraded status to Silver, Gold or Diamond member will depend on when, during the recipient’s qualifications period, the upgrade is performed."
Old Apr 5, 2016, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by highupinthesky
I gave away a gold card in September last year. The receiver have qualification period February - January. His gold card will expire 04/17. Whether they have changed the validity length of the gift card I don't know. On the EB page it only says. "The number of months valid for the recipient of the donated EuroBonus card upgraded status to Silver, Gold or Diamond member will depend on when, during the recipient’s qualifications period, the upgrade is performed."
Thanks for feed back.

Based on those and my own 3 cases there seem to be a secret line somewhere between 8 and 10 remaining months of the receiver’s qualification year.

One case: Gifted to my son with 7 month left. He got 7+12+3 months of gold status.

Another case: Gifted to my daughter with 11 month left. She got only 11+3 months.

So it seems that total maximum can be 22, maybe 23-24 months.

If somebody can provide cases with a receiver with 8-10 months left at donor-time, we can calculate the optimal time to donate... (if SK-rules are consistent).
Old Apr 5, 2016, 6:49 am

So it seems that total maximum can be 22, maybe 23-24 months.

If somebody can provide cases with a receiver with 8-10 months left at donor-time, we can calculate the optimal time to donate... (if SK-rules are consistent).
It might be they are tweaking it and fixing loopholes, like giving away a gold card in the 3 month grace period of a new year dropping down from EBD. Perhaps one of those tweaks is to only give 12 months of Gold from now on?

I will give away the next card in July for a person with qualification period April-March. Will report back what she will get, last time the card was valid for her current year (Spetember-April) + 15 months which summs up to 22.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.