Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Carry-on / Cabin Baggage Question

Old Apr 18, 2014, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.6MM

I'll be flying SK for the first time. CPH-OSL-KEF-OSL-CPH

How strict is SK with carry-on luggage? I was planning a backpack and then either a 20" or 22" TravelPro.

In particular, how strict are they with the weight allowance (8 kg or 17 lbs)?

I've flown LH (DXB-MUC) before with my 20" TravelPro. They did weigh it at check in. The scale read 10kg, but they still let me bring it on without any issues.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:59 am

Programs: *G
Never even had them weigh mine, I imagine the biggest risk will be if you also check in luggage and wave your bags around at the counter.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 12:13 pm
ekf

I've never experienced that thorough checks on SK. On LH group flights on the other hand.. Weighing and measuring seems pretty common.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 3:50 pm

Programs: SAS EBG, BA Bronze, Thon Gold, Nordic Choice Silver
I've taken more than 8kg many times on SAS with no probelm. Although, in the last year (60 or so SAS flights) they have never actually weighed my hand luggage so I can't attest to what they might have said!
Old Apr 19, 2014, 5:08 pm

Programs: EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR, Alitalia AlataPlus, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Plat100, HHD
Size I recommend to keep sensible (if nothing else out of respect to your follow passengers), although unlikely to be measured exactly.

I have had my hand luggage weighed ONCE on SK in about 300 lifetime flights with them. [story see below, but very unusual to take place - I am normally very happy with soft features and rule bending on SK]

* by a very unpleasant agent that was trying to make my day miserable - I was 1+2kg over with my bags and although I had a third allowed she wanted to charge me €280 for overweight. She then proceded to weigh my hand luggage to force me to check that in (was 22kg...) and still forced me to pay €280. I tried to ask her for insurance up to 100000 SDR (I'm not travelling with 22kg in the carry-on for kicks when I basically have allowance to check it) and she said she had no idea that could be done.

Let's say I've stopped flying SK on that route as there is a sensible OW alternative.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:56 am

Programs: AY, LH, KL, SK, D8, Marriott, Melia.
LH and their NEK seats means more pax and less room in overhead bins. That is why they control hand luggage even at FRA and HEL boarding gate, where they always put one of the two carry-on's in to the hold or too big items.
At SK flight CPH-HEL I saw large guitar in a box carried to overhead bin with a help of FA. Maybe that was dealed with at check in desk?
Old Apr 25, 2014, 1:27 pm
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
I travel regularly on SK with a 15-20 kg rollaboard (a Longchamp Boxford 55 x 38 x 22 soft side), and I have not had it weighed once on SK or WF.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 11:26 pm

Programs: SK EB Gold *G, LH M&M FT *S, LeClubAccor Gold, Hertz #1 Gold
I travelled quite often with SAS recently with only carry on but I've never been asked to weigh it. They pointed my luggage in several occasion during boarding as it is bit oversized (Samsonite 21") but I always managed to get through it
Old Apr 29, 2014, 4:58 am

If you have to get your boarding pass in the check-in area downstairs (e.g. for a longhaul IC flight document check) they might ask you to out your carry on on the scale. Happend to me a couple of times.

As long as you can directly go to security nobody will ask you to weight your carry on. If it obviously is oversized the gate agent might complain but certainly not based on the weight.
Old May 12, 2014, 6:30 am

Wondering if staff at CPH are flexible on cabin baggage or not ?
Old May 12, 2014, 8:34 am

Programs: EBP/SK*G, M&M FT, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Sixt Diamond
They usually are, but it also depends on travel class - anyway, on SK the following apllies: http://www.sas.dk/en/travel-info/baggage/cabin-baggage/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.