Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

EBG unpublished perk now pushed upto EBD?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EBG unpublished perk now pushed upto EBD?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Frequie
Yesterday I had to checkin a collegaue (who is EBS) and I am EBD.

When looking at my seatmap I could choose more seats than he could. And if I selected an aisle seat, he could not select the middle seat. I tried this both on mobile and web checkin and same result. It was quite obvious that he could not select seats next to me.

This has not worked for a period, but seems now that it is working again - at least for EBD. For the last 1-2 months, I have rarely had anyone sit next to me. Even on quite full flights, and regardless of GO/PLUS intra EU.
Yep, just had the same experience as EBG - was flying with a colleague yesterday, same situation. Also, haven't had anyone in the middle seat since ... November, I think. Before I was EBG, so that makes sense.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:52 am

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
I assume the colleague was flying on a different PNR?

I also assume that SK's IT department is being fascistic here again, as these perks really don't seem to apply to Norwegian based travelers, only Sweden and Denmark seem to profit. Despite being EBD and despite flying half empty Plus cabins, I usually find myself cramped up with a 7" sumo wrestler who never heard about deodorant in the middle seat next to me, way too often. Sometimes even with the isle seat on the same row empty (I prefer window seats).
Old Jan 28, 2015, 6:56 am

Interesting enough it doesn't work on award flights as your status is not recognized on the boarding pass....
Old Jan 28, 2015, 11:26 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by fassy
Interesting enough it doesn't work on award flights as your status is not recognized on the boarding pass....
As a true FT'er you should be booking a cash and points for 0 SEK and only pay the taxes on the ticket so you earn points on the ticket and your status is recognised.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
As a true FT'er you should be booking a cash and points for 0 SEK and only pay the taxes on the ticket so you earn points on the ticket and your status is recognised.
Are you sure that's still possible? I just read this on the SAS FAQ:

You can buy a regular ticket and pay for part of the ticket with points. You can reduce the number of points you want to use and pay instead with your credit card.
Please pay attention to the rules of the ticket. Note that you will not earn any points on the trip.

EDIT

Seems like you can actually still earn points, but only on 'best availability'. Combined with the 30% Diamond discount, I'm still not sure if it's such a profitable deal...

EDIT EDIT

Just did some math. Seems like it's at least 20% more expensive in points if you take this construction. Question would be: is lounge access plus fast track security on two flights (4 legs max) worth at least 20.000EB points?

Last edited by UltraRant; Jan 28, 2015 at 12:11 pm
Old Jan 28, 2015, 3:58 pm

You can use lounge access and fast track on award flights. Just show your card or app, not a problem. Done it a lot of times and I fact it is in the T&C that you can use your status benefits in awards which makes the rule not to put the status on the reservation quite silly...

Anyway, points + cash is always more expensive then points only for the best price redemptions, especially if you use the promos/point bargains now and then
Old Jan 29, 2015, 12:52 pm

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
The thing is that "best availability" is always available, as far as I see. At least it was always there when I needed it. I find it a great perk. I always choose to pay more but travel when I need. And the price seems to be the same even on flights where regular tickets are quite expensive. So I found some very satisfactory deals, unlike on regular awards, which I always had to buy very early, when the cash prices was still quite low, and the deal did not look that attractive.

In any case, I was in PLUS yesterday, and indeed, I had an empty seat next to me. I have not checked in any way if it was blocked. Almost all PLUS pax were seated single though. I also selected the last row of PLUS, protecting myself (maybe?) from a bloody agent, who could start removing blocks from the front of the cabin. I will keep an eye on it. Let's say that I was unlucky so far, but the luck can turn around.

@UltraRant: I am based in DK, so this does not seem to help.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 3:53 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond, SAS Diamond (*A Gold)
Originally Posted by UltraRant
Question would be: is lounge access plus fast track security on two flights (4 legs max) worth at least 20.000EB points?
I'd say that the question is:

Do you need any qualifying miles to reach EBG or EBD? In that case it might make very good sense to pay 20% more in miles, and in return get qualifying miles.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by Frequie
I'd say that the question is:

Do you need any qualifying miles to reach EBG or EBD? In that case it might make very good sense to pay 20% more in miles, and in return get qualifying miles.
Good idea. But wasn't it possible with SK anyway to convert come extra points to qualifying points? Would save you paying taxes and flying extra legs. I found this little page here: http://www.saseurobonusshop.com/loyr...Code=SHPCAT316

As they still use the old card layout, I'm not sure if they 'forgot' to update the picture or if the offer is no longer valid.

EDIT

Just did some calculations. Sitting on a long haul business class aircraft and paying net 40000 points and some taxes to earn 8000 points is probably relatively cheaper than paying 120.000 points to achieve the same for qualifying points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.