Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS at LHR T2

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2016, 10:55 am

Programs: Club Carlson Gold, AMEX Platinum, EBG
Originally Posted by chrisljo
One option is to use the Plaza Premium lounge (you have access as EBG) and pay for the kids. Not perfect, but better than 3 hours without lounge.
Where is that one located, i will hit it up on our way home.

Btw for some of the dislike kids in lounges crowd, mine are well behaved and have been using airport lounges without causing any trouble for years.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 11:01 am

Programs: SAS EBG, IHG Spire Amb, CCG
Originally Posted by KiwiRob
Where is that one located, i will hit it up on our way home.

Btw for some of the dislike kids in lounges crowd, mine are well behaved and have been using airport lounges without causing any trouble for years.
It is one floor down from the LH lounge, walk past the ticket counters. There should also be T2 maps online somewhere. Not as good as the other lounges but ok.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by fassy
I usually have not a problem with kids in lounges as well, but there are people who do, just sayin'. And to be honest, given the current congestion in most lounges during peak hours 5 people more in the lounge is worse than 2.
Judging from the general crowds at rush hour, it is hardly the people travelling with kids that are the root cause of the crowds....

I never have a problem with kids in the lounge. I have had a few cases of annoyance with parents. And I have only once expressed it.... So I would say not on my list of travel problems.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 4:54 am

Programs: Club Carlson Gold, AMEX Platinum, EBG
SK at LHR, damn I think they made a huge mistake when they closed the lounge. I've been through here several times this summer with my family, the LH and other star lounges (righty) refuse families, but it's always a better and cheaper airport experience when travellig with kids if you can take them into a lounge. Luckily Thai, Air NZ and JAL don't mind letting in families. Before anyone mentions Premier Lounge it's expensive to bring in three kids. Maybe SK could look at taking that one over. They have enough flights out of LHR each day to justify there own lounge.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 5:21 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Suuure... take over the operation of a lounge so that costs increase. If I were SK I would rather encourage people with families to book SAS Plus: gives access to *A lounges at departure and provides catering in flight
Old Aug 12, 2016, 6:09 am

It would have been nice if SAS invested in a lounge in LHR T2 given that it is their biggest destination outside of Scandinavia and has historically been a good earner. However it is not very likely to ever happen, out station lounges are closed where they can, Brussels is now also gone.

Competition to London is growing from Scandinavia, and OSL-London is now predicted to become a bloodbath as Ryanair launches the route in this winter schedule. This does not bode well for SAS, which has a difficult position already with their cost base (despite all the cost savings made already) and their earnings at LHR are likely to come under heavy pressure going forward.

A new LHR lounge is likely to be the last thing they want to spend money on now. And to be honest, I am very happy to be visiting a vastly better Senator lounge than the old T3 London lounge. A hot meal and better drinks, only downside is it gets terribly crowded in the afternoons.

The food options in LHR T2 are very, very good as well I must say, the pizza in the Heston Blumenthal place Perfectionists Cafe is amazing and the kids loved the nitro ice cream. Airport food is not what it used to be!
Old Aug 12, 2016, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Suuure... take over the operation of a lounge so that costs increase. If I were SK I would rather encourage people with families to book SAS Plus: gives access to *A lounges at departure and provides catering in flight
Or encouraging people to get their *G for 50% of the family. This way you can fly light + lounge.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 7:04 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Preferably SK scraps the whole "let your whole family in with just a single *G" concept and uses the recovered funds to improve the offering and quality of the food.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
Preferably SK scraps the whole "let your whole family in with just a single *G" concept and uses the recovered funds to improve the offering and quality of the food.
Can't agree more ^, so the kids that are actually in the lounge are either paying customers or *G themselves.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 11:02 am

Programs: TK E+, AA PLAT
I have often wondered this, especially when in the BA lounges where there are no hot food options: what is the actual cost per PAX of running a lounge? How much do they actually save by cutting down food or drinks options?
Old Aug 13, 2016, 5:16 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by boosh
I have often wondered this, especially when in the BA lounges where there are no hot food options: what is the actual cost per PAX of running a lounge? How much do they actually save by cutting down food or drinks options?
Hm? Both the Galleries Club and Galleries First lounges typically have warm food (at least at hubs, certain small outstations might not).
Old Aug 13, 2016, 5:53 am

Programs: TK E+, AA PLAT
Hm? Both the Galleries Club and Galleries First lounges typically have warm food (at least at hubs, certain small outstations might not).
GC have a breakfast and dinner service (don't know about lunch) and then soup and a sandwich through out the day. Last time I was in T5 5:00 - 5:30 that was the only option.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 7:58 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
GC have a breakfast and dinner service (don't know about lunch) and then soup and a sandwich through out the day. Last time I was in T5 5:00 - 5:30 that was the only option.
Right - but GF (Galleries First for these not familiar with BA nomenclature) has hot food throughout the day. Plus free flowing champagne
Old Aug 14, 2016, 5:31 am

Programs: SK-EBD
Originally Posted by nacho
Can't agree more ^, so the kids that are actually in the lounge are either paying customers or *G themselves.
Well, depends highly on your personally needs.

For me, the family access has been one of the biggest attraction of been Gold-member. And one of the strongest reasons for ALWAYS choosing SK/*A for leisure trips for the last 20 years.

For my kids, starting the holiday in the SAS lounge has been of one the highlights of the holiday.

As kids may count for less than 5 % of the visitors, you won’t get much improvement in the food removing that perk.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 5:38 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), SAS Diamond (*G)
Indeed - OWS/Silver/Club travellers are subjected to "food appropriate to the time of day", which means very little except at (local) mealtimes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.