Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SK Scandinavia-Houston [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SK Scandinavia-Houston [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2013, 6:10 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I'm pretty sure IAH already has way cheaper booze, electronics and other goodies than downtown London. :P
Old Dec 11, 2013, 7:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by oliver2002
I'm pretty sure IAH already has way cheaper booze, electronics and other goodies than downtown London. :P
Yes but London is in the European Economic Area a long with Norway. A Norwegian returning from Houston can buy as much stuff as he likes in London on his way home from the US.
Also its not so much the prices, but the brand names. London has the best shopping in the world for those with money and Norwegians certainly dont worry about money haha.
I think Harrods has more to offer than IAH duty free.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 9:51 am

Programs: Club Carlson Gold, AMEX Platinum, EBG
Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
Although intereestingly I managed to ask a Norwegian about this route at work (he is in SVG and I am in ABZ) and he said he likes the London stopover because he can get the HEX into town and shop. He said is SK started SVG-IAH it would be the end of his London shopping trips and him and his wife would be very disappointed.
So maybe the Norwegians like their stopover?
You're not a real Norwegian unless you buy your maximum allowance of tax free booze when returning home.

I'd be really surprised if London was cheaper than Houston. I can't think of anything that's cheaper in the UK than the US.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 9:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by KiwiRob

I'd be really surprised if London was cheaper than Houston. I can't think of anything that's cheaper in the UK than the US.
I never said London was cheaper than Houston, I said it has better shopping especially for those who are into the higher end and top quality stuff.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 12:00 pm

Programs: SAS EBG, IHG Spire Amb, CCG
The truth is there just isn't enough daily O and D to fly SVG-IAH, and if you're connecting anyway why not do it in a hub where you have options.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 1:37 am

Originally Posted by chrisljo
The truth is there just isn't enough daily O and D to fly SVG-IAH, and if you're connecting anyway why not do it in a hub where you have options.
No but I'm sure there would be enough to fly OSL or CPH to IAH. KLM gets most of it's AMS-IAH feed from Norway.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 2:01 am

Programs: SAS EBG, IHG Spire Amb, CCG
No but I'm sure there would be enough to fly OSL or CPH to IAH. KLM gets most of it's AMS-IAH feed from Norway.
Total demand from Scandinavia might fill a plane to IAH, but most of those would have to connect no matter where you fly from. Then you compete against other HUBs and get lower yields.

As far as I can see OSL/CPH-IAH is around 24t r/t with turnaround time which complicates round planning in case of delays.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 3:39 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by chrisljo
Total demand from Scandinavia might fill a plane to IAH, but most of those would have to connect no matter where you fly from. Then you compete against other HUBs and get lower yields.

As far as I can see OSL/CPH-IAH is around 24t r/t with turnaround time which complicates round planning in case of delays.
There is more business to IAH/Texas then just oil. There will be a fair number of destinations that people can connect to from IAH that make more sense to do so then to fly to EWR/IAD/ORD/SFO first.

With ~10 daily flights between IAH and AMS/FRA/LHR there must be sufficient load to fill a plane from Scandinavia along with the new passengers such a route would open up. LH even flies a A380!

I guess this route would be best served by something like a 787, except SAS seems to be skipping that completely.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 4:15 am

Why is UA absent here?
Old Dec 17, 2013, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose

I guess this route would be best served by something like a 787, except SAS seems to be skipping that completely.
They bought something better the A350!
Old Dec 18, 2013, 2:07 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
I would wait with saying that is better, until it arrives, and it does not break ... (evil)
Old Dec 18, 2013, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
They bought something better the A350!
Considering that the 787 is actually in revenue service currently, I would say it is the winner currently. And it is a nice ride.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 2:12 pm

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
Please ask Bjørn Kjos about the joy and benefits of Dreamliners. Not a single flight to or from BKK flew on time with that piece of magic during December...

I don't know how many startup trouble the A350 will have, but I think chances are slim that it will be worse than the Dreamliner...

Furthermore, I'd be very happy with a route to IAH from Norway. We have big offices in both IAH and OSL and our core business isn't even oil or gas... Stopovers in FRA or AMS easily add 2 to 4 hours travel time, so it'd be great if ti can be avoided. On the other hand, I hope that SK will put a serious effort in upgrading the on board product on long haul with their A350 and if they start serving this long long haul route.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by UltraRant
Please ask Bjørn Kjos about the joy and benefits of Dreamliners. Not a single flight to or from BKK flew on time with that piece of magic during December...

I don't know how many startup trouble the A350 will have, but I think chances are slim that it will be worse .
Without disregarding the massive problems ith the so-called Dreamliner, it is striking that no other airline have the massive problems that Mr. Kjos seems to have. The complete lack of reliability and customer service in DYs long haul operatons are striking indeed. Me thinks Kjos has created a problem for him self.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 10:16 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
Yes but London is in the European Economic Area a long with Norway. A Norwegian returning from Houston can buy as much stuff as he likes in London on his way home from the US.
No, we can't. Norway is in the EEA, but we are a separate customs area. There is a full customs check arriving to Norway from the EU. The allowance for importing goods as a traveller is the same, whether arriving from the UK or the US: max value of NOK 6000/person.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.