Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SK Scandinavia-Houston [merged]

SK Scandinavia-Houston [merged]

Old Apr 9, 2013, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
IAH now services the 4th largest metro area in the USA and has attracted nonstop service from carriers as diverse as SQ and QF. However most of the new entrants (and the original residents like CO dba UA) offer horizontal lie-flat business class seats which are the preferred mode of transit for oil industry travel. So I would not predict much success for SK until there is a commitment to upgrade the product - even LH is finally phasing in lie-flat seats, admittedly at a glacial pace (ditto for AA).
Old Apr 9, 2013, 1:23 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by OFFlyer
Very true.

One would think that theorietically there should be room for further aircraft utilisation optimisation. Flights from OSL/ARN/CPH arrives into EWR early/mid afternoon - and does not leave unitl early evening. Likely a couple of hours could be taken there per route. The same is true for ARN/CPH routes to ORD, and to some degree at IAD as well. IIRC NRT, PVG, PEK and SFO are fairly OK. Maybe a full 12 hours could be gained per day on this. Realize that from a hub-network perspective this may cause some problems. But worth some thinking. Now BKK is gone the 9 hour vacation the 340 got every afternoon at BKK is at least gone.
Thats the breathing space the fleet has for unforseen events, which happen quite often... I doubt its available to start new routes.

Originally Posted by Tango Alpha
Stavanger would be the natural starting point for a route to Houston, said SAS CEO Rickard Gustafson at the inauguration of the San Francisco-connection according to media.

And he confirms my theory: “It will probably be a special product - with narrowbody, B737 or A320.”

Hmm.
SK could wetlease a BBJ Privatair service like LH/LX/KL did before. But for that they really need high revenue captive business. Compare that to SVG-FRA-IAH on LH and the numbers for new routes go bad asap.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 7:23 am
Suspended

What happened to SAS proposed Stavanger-Houston service?

It would be great for Aberdeen as Stavanger is only 1 hour by flight and would open up a great new connection possiblity alongside BA at LHR, KL at AMS etc.

SAS said it was considering SVG-IAH when it announced its CPH-SFO.

Any more news?
Old Dec 9, 2013, 7:49 am

Programs: BA Silver, Lufthansa Miles and more Silver, AF/KLM Flying Petroleum
IT was just a fairytail, not for real. This route would never work anyway. Too costly.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 12:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by barca82
IT was just a fairytail, not for real. This route would never work anyway. Too costly.
Thats quite true but still a shame.
I guess a North Sea-Houston flight will never happen.

I remember when City Star were gonna start ABZ-IAH 4x weekly, then Continental/United announced they were 'studying' an ABZ-IAH and then SK came a long and said a SVG-IAH was likely.

Wish the airlines were just honest and stopped trying to raise everybody's hopes to buy them some breathing space.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
So you think that they didn't even consider it, and just lied about that?

It's far more likely that they considered it, and deemed the route not viable. That sounds like the type of route that would only be viable with support from the local business at either end, i.e. a guarantee of a minimum level of business.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 8:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by irishguy28
So you think that they didn't even consider it, and just lied about that?

It's far more likely that they considered it, and deemed the route not viable. That sounds like the type of route that would only be viable with support from the local business at either end, i.e. a guarantee of a minimum level of business.
Thats just pure speculation, it would be better if the airlines just announced that they had considered a SVG-IAH or ABZ-IAH but had deemed it not viable instead of (like in UA's case) announcing each year that a new study into ABZ-IAH is being conducted and the route is under 'serious consideration'. UA just say that to shut Aberdeen Airport management up for another year, they have no interest whatsoever in actually flying to ABZ.
I thought as Norway is not in the EU therefore not bound by anti airline EU laws, coughers that are bursting at their seams and a government with a stake in SAS, a SVG-IAH would be much more likely. Fingers crossed it is still possible.
The Oil Capital of Europe will never have an IAH link but it would be very useful if its sister across the sea gets one. I would love to try an SAS SVG-IAH.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
I thought as Norway is not in the EU therefore not bound by anti airline EU laws, coughers that are bursting at their seams and a government with a stake in SAS, a SVG-IAH would be much more likely. Fingers crossed it is still possible.
Norway may be outside the EU, but most EU rules still apply. In this case state aid would fall under the same basic requirements as if they were within the EU.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 12:38 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
A B737 BBJ would certainly be a suitable aircraft for the route. So how comes they don't convert one of their outstanding 737 orders to a BBJ? I'm sure they could have one or two aircraft as all Business Class configuration aircraft, with the new C product that is introduced in 2015.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by LH4116
A B737 BBJ would certainly be a suitable aircraft for the route. So how comes they don't convert one of their outstanding 737 orders to a BBJ? I'm sure they could have one or two aircraft as all Business Class configuration aircraft, with the new C product that is introduced in 2015.
That could probably work. Is the backlog for the BBJ longer or shorter than for the standard versions?
Old Dec 11, 2013, 2:14 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
Thats just pure speculation, it would be better if the airlines just announced that they had considered a SVG-IAH or ABZ-IAH but had deemed it not viable instead of (like in UA's case) announcing each year that a new study into ABZ-IAH is being conducted and the route is under 'serious consideration'. UA just say that to shut Aberdeen Airport management up for another year, they have no interest whatsoever in actually flying to ABZ.
The Oil Capital of Europe will never have an IAH link but it would be very useful if its sister across the sea gets one. I would love to try an SAS SVG-IAH.
United's best move would be to simply change EWR-OSL to IAH-OSL, there are plenty flights between OSL (Scandinavia in general) and NYC but none to IAH.

I fail to see the logic as to why US carriers only fly to/from NYC. Even Delta, which should really be flying from ATL/MSP. United could be using IAH/ORD/SFO and AA could open up better access to MIA, DFW or even LAX.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 3:38 am

Programs: SAS EBG, IHG Spire Amb, CCG
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
United's best move would be to simply change EWR-OSL to IAH-OSL, there are plenty flights between OSL (Scandinavia in general) and NYC but none to IAH.

I fail to see the logic as to why US carriers only fly to/from NYC. Even Delta, which should really be flying from ATL/MSP. United could be using IAH/ORD/SFO and AA could open up better access to MIA, DFW or even LAX.
The O&D to NYC far exceeds any other destination in the US, and the flight is probably very easy to plan since it's less than 24h r/t.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 3:41 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose

I guess they know what they are doing. DL tried CPH-ATL (and ARN-ATL?) but apparently it wasn't viable.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 4:44 am

Programs: Club Carlson Gold, AMEX Platinum, EBG
Originally Posted by barca82
I don't believe this for a second. KLM have daily flights to Houston from Amsterdam, most of these flights are full of Norwegians travelling from OSL, BGO and SVG. KLM are now the third largest carrier of international passangers from Norway, they have done a kick arse job in the oil cities, they are now moving North, Alesund is twice daily, a fair number of oil related business is driven from the Møre og Romsdal region.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 5:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by KiwiRob
I don't believe this for a second. KLM have daily flights to Houston from Amsterdam, most of these flights are full of Norwegians travelling from OSL, BGO and SVG. KLM are now the third largest carrier of international passangers from Norway, they have done a kick arse job in the oil cities, they are now moving North, Alesund is twice daily, a fair number of oil related business is driven from the Møre og Romsdal region.
^^^^

I usually fly BA to IAH and there is always a large number of Norwegians on the LHR-IAH flights as well (not to mention the vast number of Scots).
I also UA (then Continental) through LHR and LGW in the past and once again the J cabins would have a sizable number of Norwegians on them.

I think it is safe to say that BA, KL and now LH are targeting their IAH services hugely at lucrative oil traffic much of which is travelling to and from Scotland and Norway.

Although intereestingly I managed to ask a Norwegian about this route at work (he is in SVG and I am in ABZ) and he said he likes the London stopover because he can get the HEX into town and shop. He said is SK started SVG-IAH it would be the end of his London shopping trips and him and his wife would be very disappointed.
So maybe the Norwegians like their stopover?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.