Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

In dire need of 3110 basic points by 31 Jan (nearest airport TLV)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2013, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, SK

My EB gold status membership year is running out (31 Jan) and I'm in dire need of 3110 basic points. I presume there no way of acquiring points other than flying (correct me if I'm wrong), so please provide me with your best suggestions. Closest airport is TLV. I actually don't have the time to do a mile-run, but will consider doing one if it's a day-trip (no overnight flights). Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Alternatively, do you think SAS (EB) will be nice and grant me renewed gold membership for another year with 3110 points missing? Any experience?

Thanks.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 4:15 pm

Programs: EBS
http://www.saseurobonusshop.com/sasl...=1358291577747

You can actually buy the points you need....
Old Jan 15, 2013, 4:29 pm

Programs: TK M&S Elite (*G), SK EB Silver, various more or less shiny hotel cards
Is this new? I had no idea you could do that!
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I didn't know this, either. But jeez, look at the conversion rate - 75k extra to 5k basic. 15:1 - must be really, really desparate to do this.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:11 am
Original Poster

Thanks for letting me know - I had no idea either that you could purchase basic points (for points and/or cash). In theory, unless there's a limit to how many basic points you can by (I read the fine print and can't seem to find any such disclaimer), you can fly your minimum 4 SK flights, then buy your way to Gold. It'll cost you, though...

But I fully agree: a mad conversion rate:

75,000 points gets you 5,000 basic points or, if you prefer to pay in cash, USD 758.

Pretty crazy. But - honestly - wouldn't a mile-run to acquire 5,000 basic points have cost you about the same...? Just asking...

P.S. For those interested in any other denomination: http://www.saseurobonusshop.com/sasl...=1358320073345

Last edited by fly12345; Jan 16, 2013 at 12:16 am Reason: inserted link
Old Jan 16, 2013, 2:44 am

Programs: TK M&S Elite (*G), SK EB Silver, various more or less shiny hotel cards
Originally Posted by fly12345
you can fly your minimum 4 SK flights, then buy your way to Gold. It'll cost you, though...
Aren't you confusing SK with BA? I don't think there is a minimum amount SK flights.

If flying gets you 49k basic points one year, it should be worth it to buy 1k basic points with cash.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 4:30 am

Programs: EB*G ; MR Plat
You have 3 months "grace period" to accumulate more points after the end of your earning period (same 3 months grace period where you still keep the gold card even if you didnt re-qualify: your Gold card should show an expiry date 04/2013 not 01/2013). So if you have a trip planned before end of april to make those missing points you will be alright.

If you don't have any trips planned and you have had the Gold card for a couple years, you can also write an email or call customer service explaining how 2012 was a slow year. Even better if you have some SAS booking already made for 2013 to prove that you will fly with them throughout the year.

I was missing 4000 points for 2012 but had 90000+ in both 2010 and 2011 so they didn't argue toooooo much.

PS: my statement is from being based in Norway. Different countries may have different rules.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:25 am

No. You have a three month period where your previous status is valid (if higher than the new status), but that period belongs to the new qualification year earning-wise.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:18 pm

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
My EB gold status membership year is running out (31 Jan) and I'm in dire need of 3110 basic points. I presume there no way of acquiring points other than flying (correct me if I'm wrong), so please provide me with your best suggestions. Closest airport is TLV. I actually don't have the time to do a mile-run, but will consider doing one if it's a day-trip (no overnight flights). Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Alternatively, do you think SAS (EB) will be nice and grant me renewed gold membership for another year with 3110 points missing? Any experience?

Thanks.
Round trip TLV-ZRH-TLV
I've done it in one day. you arrive morning and leave late at night.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sebinoslo
You have 3 months "grace period" to accumulate more points after the end of your earning period (same 3 months grace period where you still keep the gold card even if you didnt re-qualify: your Gold card should show an expiry date 04/2013 not 01/2013). So if you have a trip planned before end of april to make those missing points you will be alright.
Originally Posted by tourist
No. You have a three month period where your previous status is valid (if higher than the new status), but that period belongs to the new qualification year earning-wise.
So, which one is it? Can I fly SK within the grace-period and earn the required points, or is the grace period considered to be a part of a new qualification year? From SK's point of view, the latter would make more sense, but i would (clearly) prefer the former...
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:18 am
Original Poster

Aren't you confusing SK with BA? I don't think there is a minimum amount SK flights.
You're absolutely right. I am confusing the two...
Old Jan 18, 2013, 3:05 am

So, which one is it? Can I fly SK within the grace-period and earn the required points, or is the grace period considered to be a part of a new qualification year? From SK's point of view, the latter would make more sense, but i would (clearly) prefer the former...
The latter. Have a look at your EB-page, and you'll see your qualification year clearly stated (Feb-Jan, I assume). The expiration date on your card is something else, it gives you a valid card to use before the new one is sent out, and as a bonus feature it gives you three extra months of your old status in case you are downgraded.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 2:00 pm

Programs: SK-EBD
The latter. Have a look at your EB-page, and you'll see your qualification year clearly stated (Feb-Jan, I assume). The expiration date on your card is something else, it gives you a valid card to use before the new one is sent out, and as a bonus feature it gives you three extra months of your old status in case you are downgraded.
Tourist is absolutely right. You have ONLY your 12 months period to qualify. So has the rule been for 20 years.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 2:13 pm

Programs: SK-EBD
Originally Posted by HenrikP
http://www.saseurobonusshop.com/sasl...=1358291577747

You can actually buy the points you need....
I didn’t know either. SAS has never shouted nor even whispered about this.
Interesting back door, even though very expensive. And quite inflexible that you can buy only 5.000 points (at a time), not e.g. 3.200.

But still, instead of doing a mileage run, this is time efficient (but may be less fun...) and could cost the same. I would pay 560 US$ if that’s was the last option.

(In fact I paid that amount recently to upgrade a SQ-ticket from 0 to 100 % earnings Europe-Australia. It showed up later, that I didn’t need those basic points.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.