Goodbye Bangkok?

Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK-EBD
Goodbye Bangkok?

CPH-BKK is going to end as of March 2013 reports Danish travel-site Takeoff in a non-confirmed report.

Could be permanent, could be closed during the Northern summer only. Probably the first, according to Takeoff.

http://www.takeoff.dk/news/23593
Old Aug 27, 2012, 1:55 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
They need the aircraft for SFO I would speculate 3-4x weekly to BKK starting S13.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 1:58 am

Programs: SK Diamond (*G), HH Gold
It makes sense. I flew the route last week and I had no problem getting point upgrade to C. Plenty of space. However, M was packed so the volume is there but I guess the yield is just not good enough. EK and QR are regularly throwing BKK tickets into the market below 5000 DKK and most leisure pax would not mind adding a stop in the Middle East save some money.

Another issue is the 9 hour downtime for the a/c in BKK. They just park it on the tarmac from 3pm to midnight to fit the night departures in both directions (which also increases the cost for flight crew staying in BKK). I guess times have changed and with such a small fleet they need to optimize the usage as much as possible.

TG will probably go to double daily once SK is out and this will mean no more SK on this route.

Cheers,
Old Aug 27, 2012, 2:01 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
TG will gain a bit of market share as the europeans pull out of BKK due to the price war in economy with EK & co. LH is down gauging the FRA flight and TG will put the A380 onto that route.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 2:27 am

With no no longhaul aircraft coming in, they need to cut somewhere to make SFO happen. I think this has been a long time coming, though its a great shame to see it go.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 3:10 am
THD

Programs: OZ Lifetime-DMPL*G, AF*G, SPG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BHIL
TG will probably go to double daily once SK is out and this will mean no more SK on this route.
The current schedules for TG indicate downgauging of the current 747 on the BKK-CPH route to 777-300, which will mean a considerable loss of seats on this route for *A. Whether this continues to be the case, or whether the 747 is reinstated, is anyones guess being so far out.

Slightly OT: Amadeus also showing the refurbished 747 doing TG BKK-ARN in the spring with seating for C in the F cabin and availability in U, meaning a direct flight and a reasonable C hard product for the same price as Eco Extra on SK with one connection.

Early days still, so there is very little certainty, will be interesting to see what happens.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 3:15 am

Programs: OZ*G, AZ Gold, Etihad Gold, SK*G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by oliver2002
They need the aircraft for SFO I would speculate 3-4x weekly to BKK starting S13.
I think it will be 5-6 weekly in the winter, and zero in the summer. But hopefully, they will launch a jointventure with TG, like the one with SQ.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 7:24 am

Programs: EB
Debate on MySASIdea

This topic has just been discussed on My SAS Idea, where I argued that it might not be a good idea to discard this route.

http://mysasidea.flysas.net/node/837#comment-410

I do of course see - if the information from Takeoff.dk is correct - that a route to SFO with a business segment of 60-70% (sounds like an awful lot to me!) would generate a lot more money. But then again, cutting to much when attempting to still have a intercontinental network of sorts is not always a good idea.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by THD
The current schedules for TG indicate downgauging of the current 747 on the BKK-CPH route to 777-300, which will mean a considerable loss of seats on this route for *A. Whether this continues to be the case, or whether the 747 is reinstated, is anyones guess being so far out.
I guess those will be the new 777-300ER, with 306 Y and 42 C, not the old Jet Airways birds. If so, I think they are there to stay. Also to avoid selling F seats as C and C as premium economy
Old Aug 27, 2012, 9:43 am

Programs: EBG, M&M SEN, FB Gold
I see it as a bit positive that CPH is getting more direct flights when SFO opens. There is still a direct flight to BKK with a good *A carrier. Yes - it is not SK with the extra 15/25% points for silver/gold points, segments and all - but still points plus better offerings out of CPH overall.

Especially if TG would upgrade the equipment in use so it is not the oldest equipment they are using.

/HerrO
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:11 pm

Programs: EBG, FBG, SPG Gold, CC Gold, etc.
Originally Posted by herro
I see it as a bit positive that CPH is getting more direct flights when SFO opens. There is still a direct flight to BKK with a good *A carrier. Yes - it is not SK with the extra 15/25% points for silver/gold points, segments and all - but still points plus better offerings out of CPH overall.

Especially if TG would upgrade the equipment in use so it is not the oldest equipment they are using.

/HerrO
So, 100% points earning on all classes with TG, then?
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:48 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by Everest
So, 100% points earning on all classes with TG, then?
That would win me over
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:56 pm

http://www.sas.no/en/EuroBonus/Earn-...-Airways-Intl/

Does anyone have any practical experience with this? I'd expect a bit more than 150 EB basic+extra points for an IC!
Old Aug 27, 2012, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by Everest
http://www.sas.no/en/EuroBonus/Earn-...-Airways-Intl/

Does anyone have any practical experience with this? I'd expect a bit more than 150 EB basic+extra points for an IC!
It means 25% earnings ( of the mileage of the flight, check great circle mapper). SAS just doesnt want to explain partner earnings very well on their pages Im afraid.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 1:50 pm

Weirdest double post ever, apologies.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.