Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using SAS Miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using SAS Miles

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2015, 5:37 am

1,2) https://www.flysas.com/en/eurobonus/...e_award_chart/
3) No YQ on SK metal, Scam charges on other *A.
4) Yes, wasn't a problem. I had searched for the flights upfront using the ANA tool and the agent had no problem booking the same (CPH-VIE-JFK-VIE-CPH)
5) afaik, no. Book it and then cancel it if you need to change.
6) no idea
Old Jul 20, 2015, 12:47 am

Programs: All of 'em
Originally Posted by fassy
1,2) https://www.flysas.com/en/eurobonus/...e_award_chart/
3) No YQ on SK metal, Scam charges on other *A.
4) Yes, wasn't a problem. I had searched for the flights upfront using the ANA tool and the agent had no problem booking the same (CPH-VIE-JFK-VIE-CPH)
5) afaik, no. Book it and then cancel it if you need to change.
6) no idea
Thx for the response.
On their fee page, it appears to be very cheap to cancel (15 euro) and even to change the name on a reservation which I haven't seen before.
Is this your experience? It seems too good to be true.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 2:15 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
I recall cancelling an award ticket is free and provides a full refund. Haven't used it in a long time because of the c+p tickets.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 2:57 am

Cancelling an award reservation is free - and miles are refunded (provided they have not expired). Have done it multiple times.

Follow-up question:
For a *A award can you change the routing, but keep the destination (e.g. from CPH-ZRH-HKG to CPH-FRA-HKG) - even if some of the miles have expired?
You can of course cancel, loose the expired miles and rebook with "new" miles
But the question is of a rerouting can be done without loosing the expired miles?
Old Jul 20, 2015, 3:04 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Expired miles are no longer an issue for EBD. I'm aware this doesn't answer your question.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
I recall cancelling an award ticket is free and provides a full refund. Haven't used it in a long time because of the c+p tickets.
What's the advantage of C&P tickets over regular award tickets?
Do the rates come out better?
Old Jul 21, 2015, 1:26 am

The C&P tickets come out as full revenue tickets, so you get all benefits including points earning and priority rebooking as you would had you completely paid for the ticket.

The downside is that you can only book them on SK's limited network, so no connections on *A or other partners.

Last edited by FlyingMoose; Jul 23, 2015 at 12:43 am
Old Jul 21, 2015, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
The C&P tickets come out as full revenu tickets, so you get all benefits including points earning and priority rebooking as you would had you completely paid for the ticket.

The downside is that you can only book them on SK's limited network, so no connections on *A or other partners.
Thx for the answers.

What value do they assign to the points on a C&P, and what's the min/max of points that can be used?
Old Jul 21, 2015, 1:53 am

Originally Posted by Nekamah7
Thx for the answers.

What value do they assign to the points on a C&P, and what's the min/max of points that can be used?
Not to forget as Diamond you get 30% discount on the point rates

Min points to use: 0
Max points to use: As much as you have (but you still have to pay at least taxes with cash)

Price per point varies between long haul, short haul etc. I have seen between 1000 points worth SEK 24 for MUC - CPH - MUC in Go and SEK 250 on MUC - CPH - SFO - CPH - MUC. (including the 30% Diamond Bonus), e.g. the SFO flight costs 175 000 points plus SEK 1500 in taxes or SEK 42 000 in cash. Do the math.

Oh, and of course you earn 30k points for the flights. So... another increase in value, meaning you just pay 145.000 points for a full flex business ticket at a rack rate of 42 000 SEK.

Can be very good value.

Last edited by fassy; Jul 21, 2015 at 2:03 am
Old Jul 21, 2015, 1:55 am

Thx for the answers.

The C&P awards usually cost twice the point price of regular awards. Since the point price is fixed, the value of the points varies, and is higher the more expensive the ticket is.

Here are the point prices: http://www.sas.se/eurobonus/point-ch...points-charts/ (click the tab for "Best Availability" to see C&P point prices, if you choose to pay the entire fare with points)

There is no min or max: You can pay with as few or as many points as you want (except for taxes that need to be paid with point).
Old Jul 21, 2015, 4:36 am

So in essence, how much are you 'buying' the points for?
Old Jul 21, 2015, 4:52 am

So in essence, how much are you 'buying' the points for?
Read my text? (Take note about the Diamond discount, Gold and Silver have lower discounts)
Old Jul 21, 2015, 5:42 am

I took a look at it, but couldn't figure it out.
I'll take another look.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 5:56 am

In short (as Diamond) redeeming on CPH-SFO-CPH in full flex business will mean an effective rate of SEK 289/1000 points for a flight in May 2016 which prices out at around 42.000 SEK.

Significantly less value in Go on shorthaul... about 1/10 of that, in fact even lower
Old Jul 22, 2015, 11:58 am

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
Sry for bumping an old thread, but I couldn't find a better location for my questions.
1) What routing rules exist on Star Alliances award reservations?
2) Is a stopover allowed.
3) My understanding is that YQ aren't charged. Is this correct?
4) Any recent experiences with calling up to book flights.
5) Are holds allowed?
6) What's the infant fee on miles redemptions?

Thx ya'll
Oh my, an old thread returned from the grave...

To answer your questions as good as I can:

Please read this site: http://www.sas.no/eurobonus/point-ch...points-charts/ especially 'spend chart - star alliance' i think it answers 1.

2: stopovers are allowed, but you might end up spending more points, as you might suddenly find yourself booking 2 singles instead of 1 single with a long stop. Some vague memory about 24 hour stopovers at maximum comes to mind.

3: depends on the carrier. SK doesn't charge much, LH is crazy by charging $500 or so on award tickets.

4: Yes, I do. Experience is that, if you find a competent person on SAS' side, booking should be a breeze. According to good SAS tradition, however, you may also end up with someone who doesn't understand half of what a StarAlliance booking is about. Just try to call again and hope you find someone else. Also: availability varies quite a bit. Some carriers have *A-wide availability wide out a long time ahead, others only just an impossible day or 2 in advance (again, frowning at LH here).

5: 'holds' as in 'standby'? Not 100% sure what you mean here...

6: No child discounts on StarAlliance bookings are given.

EDIT: Completely missed out that there was already a page 2 on this tread... Oh well, now you have my opinion as well, for what it's worth...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.