Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Aug 9, 12, 10:34 am   #1
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: TYO
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 6,245
One <32 kg bag vs. two times <23 kg

I (actually companion) will be travelling with a large bag. Most in C class but have two legs on SAS in M class intra-Europe. For *G in M it's 2 X 23 kg intra-Europe. Will SAS create problems if you check a bag that weighs close to 32 kg? This will be for 2 people (both *G) and we might check one more smaller bag.

Any experience with this? Checking in at ARN and CPH.

Taking two small bags is not an option for logistical reasons.
gnaget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 12, 11:26 am   #2
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: EWR but I love to go to TXL!
Posts: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnaget View Post
I (actually companion) will be travelling with a large bag. Most in C class but have two legs on SAS in M class intra-Europe. For *G in M it's 2 X 23 kg intra-Europe. Will SAS create problems if you check a bag that weighs close to 32 kg? This will be for 2 people (both *G) and we might check one more smaller bag.

Any experience with this? Checking in at ARN and CPH.

Taking two small bags is not an option for logistical reasons.
On the SAS website, as far as I can see, it just mentions the fact that Eurobonus gold and silver get "an extra piece." Obviously, Star Gold get's additional too, but I've had instances where they treated it as +20kg as stated on the Star Alliance, not caring if one piece weighed more than 23 (From HEL for sure, but I'm reasonably certain it happened at ARN the last time I flew from there intra-europe.) As far as I can remember, I've only been held to the 23 limit and asked to repack when leaving Germany on SAS, but those were also workers who generally deal with Lufthansa-group flights.


So, I *think* you'll be fine, and would suggest also having the star alliance gold benefits page printed out. But perhaps someone here flies from ARN/CPH more often and can give better insight.
Bigzamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 12, 11:45 am   #3
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: TYO
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 6,245
Thanks. I guess SAS is now all piece concept if I read their website correctly. If they hold you to the 23 kg limit then they would technically charge you for excess weight. EUR 45 or USD 80. A bit illogical and annoying if you are not checking a second bag...

+20 kg would be nice for me in this case.

They should only ask to repack if it exceeds 32 kg. I think some unionized places refuse to handle heavy bags above 32 kg. ANA provided a nice box recently when this same suitcase weighed over 80 lbs. (Checking one bag in business where the *G allowance is 3 X 32 kg.)

It's interesting that *A rules give one extra piece. Today that's technically one bag with some airlines like UA. But *Gs get three 32 kg bags with UA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigzamboni View Post
On the SAS website, as far as I can see, it just mentions the fact that Eurobonus gold and silver get "an extra piece." Obviously, Star Gold get's additional too, but I've had instances where they treated it as +20kg as stated on the Star Alliance, not caring if one piece weighed more than 23 (From HEL for sure, but I'm reasonably certain it happened at ARN the last time I flew from there intra-europe.) As far as I can remember, I've only been held to the 23 limit and asked to repack when leaving Germany on SAS, but those were also workers who generally deal with Lufthansa-group flights.


So, I *think* you'll be fine, and would suggest also having the star alliance gold benefits page printed out. But perhaps someone here flies from ARN/CPH more often and can give better insight.
gnaget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 12, 1:27 am   #4
Senior Moderator; Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 26,035
SK gives *G one extra piece according to the service class. So if you have an economy ticket that normally gives you 1x23kg, as *G you can have 2x23kg.
oliver2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 12, 4:02 am   #5
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; SAS EB Gold ; LH SEN ; EK Silver ; AY Silver
Posts: 1,566
I am SK*G and had 1 bag of 32kg to checkin on OV M flight CPH TLL (allowance: 2x23 kg). Check in by SAS. They forced me to repack. I have nothing against the agent that follows the rules... but when a manager came and confirmed I would not be able to check one bag over 23 kg without extra fee, I was really pissed. Employees are there to apply the rules, managers are there to make sure everything is fine and use common sense in cases like that.

Result: SAS/OV did not get any extra cent from me, I checked in an additional small bag, I made a mess at the understaffed Gold/Business area (nice for those in line!) I was wearing several sweaters and winter jacket in summer time to fill up the overhead bins (nice for security agents and fellow passengers).

This has happened to me once in OTP flying OS (I am also Senator with them) but never at FRA/MUC flying LH where it was more like "yes, your luggage is overweight but since you have one piece and you are Senator, no problem". Also happened with AF a few times.

The way airlines behave with their "gold" customers makes me feel closer to fly low cost more often rather than sticking to "full service" airlines that behave more like low cost carriers, except for the fares of course!
ranskis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 12, 4:53 am   #6
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: TYO
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 6,245
Hmm. This is what I expected. I guess it might cost an extra 90 euros.

However, I wonder if SAS is more flexible if it's their own flights. Maybe they feel that they have to follow the letter of the law and collect the money for a partner airline and Estonian is not in *A anyway? But it appears that they use Eurobonus, so never mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranskis View Post
I am SK*G and had 1 bag of 32kg to checkin on OV M flight CPH TLL (allowance: 2x23 kg). Check in by SAS. They forced me to repack. I have nothing against the agent that follows the rules... but when a manager came and confirmed I would not be able to check one bag over 23 kg without extra fee, I was really pissed. Employees are there to apply the rules, managers are there to make sure everything is fine and use common sense in cases like that.

Result: SAS/OV did not get any extra cent from me, I checked in an additional small bag, I made a mess at the understaffed Gold/Business area (nice for those in line!) I was wearing several sweaters and winter jacket in summer time to fill up the overhead bins (nice for security agents and fellow passengers).

This has happened to me once in OTP flying OS (I am also Senator with them) but never at FRA/MUC flying LH where it was more like "yes, your luggage is overweight but since you have one piece and you are Senator, no problem". Also happened with AF a few times.

The way airlines behave with their "gold" customers makes me feel closer to fly low cost more often rather than sticking to "full service" airlines that behave more like low cost carriers, except for the fares of course!
gnaget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 12, 6:04 am   #7
Senior Moderator; Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 26,035
On most trips when and if I get into such situations, I just go to a DIY store the day before and buy a mid size moving box. Its within the dimensions, sturdy enough and costs 3-5$
oliver2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 12, 6:17 am   #8
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: CPH
Posts: 1,407
I have been forced to re-pack at SEA, because I was 1.5Kg over the limit - but still one bag below my limit. While this was the letter of the rules, it was not a very logical nor a great experience.
__________________
---------------------------------------------
http://meine.flugstatistik.de/OFFlyer
OFFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 12, 6:21 am   #9
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: TYO
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 6,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
On most trips when and if I get into such situations, I just go to a DIY store the day before and buy a mid size moving box. Its within the dimensions, sturdy enough and costs 3-5$
ANA provides such boxes free of charge. But all of this is just silly.
gnaget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 12, 6:36 am   #10
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: BOM-SIN-EWR
Programs: AA EXP, LH SEN, UA*G (1K again), 9wPlat, Sixt Plat, *was* SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG
Posts: 7,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
On most trips when and if I get into such situations, I just go to a DIY store the day before and buy a mid size moving box. Its within the dimensions, sturdy enough and costs 3-5$
And probably weighs less than a suitcase, right?!

Good one.

Last edited by SuperFlyBoy; Aug 10, 12 at 7:22 am.
SuperFlyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 12, 6:54 am   #11
Senior Moderator; Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 26,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnaget View Post
ANA provides such boxes free of charge. But all of this is just silly.
Sure, but instead of spreading my goods out on an airport floor in front of checkin, I pack in the comfort of my room
oliver2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 12, 6:55 am   #12
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; SAS EB Gold ; LH SEN ; EK Silver ; AY Silver
Posts: 1,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
On most trips when and if I get into such situations, I just go to a DIY store the day before and buy a mid size moving box. Its within the dimensions, sturdy enough and costs 3-5$
I used to have a small collapsible bag in my big suitcase before, for such situations... until TAP crashed it completely including its content! Got it refunded (after 10 months) but now I need to find another one as practical as the one I had, oh lazy me...
ranskis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 12, 6:58 am   #13
Senior Moderator; Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 26,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranskis View Post
I used to have a small collapsible bag in my big suitcase before, for such situations...
Yep, had that too... problem is the collapsible bags get squeezed easy, anything inside is churned and squeezed.
oliver2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 12, 3:52 pm   #14
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing
Posts: 72,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy View Post
And probably weighs less than a suitcase, right?!

Good one.
I carry a collapsible large duffel bag for circumstances like this. Small bags and boxes that weight 5 pounds or less seem to get delayed/lost way more often than larger bags or boxes.

I can fill it up with small boxes if desired without delay/loss frequency rising.
__________________
Like TSA, DL SkyMiles management treats airline customers as if they are the enemy or sheep to be fleeced and it shows.
GUWonder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 12, 2:15 am   #15
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Stockholm
Programs: SK*G, AF Ivory, Hertz Pres Circle, SPG, Carlson Concierge, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Posts: 203
Of course depending on what you wanna pack, but I have several times used one of those plastic bags you can get at check-in supposed to be used for trolleys, golf bags etc. After filling it with clothing that can survive some wrinkles I have wrapped it in one of those machines usually used for wrapping suitcaes or boxes.
pswe is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 6:56 pm.