Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

One <32 kg bag vs. two times <23 kg

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2012, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA *G MM

I (actually companion) will be travelling with a large bag. Most in C class but have two legs on SAS in M class intra-Europe. For *G in M it's 2 X 23 kg intra-Europe. Will SAS create problems if you check a bag that weighs close to 32 kg? This will be for 2 people (both *G) and we might check one more smaller bag.

Any experience with this? Checking in at ARN and CPH.

Taking two small bags is not an option for logistical reasons.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by gnaget
I (actually companion) will be travelling with a large bag. Most in C class but have two legs on SAS in M class intra-Europe. For *G in M it's 2 X 23 kg intra-Europe. Will SAS create problems if you check a bag that weighs close to 32 kg? This will be for 2 people (both *G) and we might check one more smaller bag.

Any experience with this? Checking in at ARN and CPH.

Taking two small bags is not an option for logistical reasons.
On the SAS website, as far as I can see, it just mentions the fact that Eurobonus gold and silver get "an extra piece." Obviously, Star Gold get's additional too, but I've had instances where they treated it as +20kg as stated on the Star Alliance, not caring if one piece weighed more than 23 (From HEL for sure, but I'm reasonably certain it happened at ARN the last time I flew from there intra-europe.) As far as I can remember, I've only been held to the 23 limit and asked to repack when leaving Germany on SAS, but those were also workers who generally deal with Lufthansa-group flights.

So, I *think* you'll be fine, and would suggest also having the star alliance gold benefits page printed out. But perhaps someone here flies from ARN/CPH more often and can give better insight.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Thanks. I guess SAS is now all piece concept if I read their website correctly. If they hold you to the 23 kg limit then they would technically charge you for excess weight. EUR 45 or USD 80. A bit illogical and annoying if you are not checking a second bag...

+20 kg would be nice for me in this case.

They should only ask to repack if it exceeds 32 kg. I think some unionized places refuse to handle heavy bags above 32 kg. ANA provided a nice box recently when this same suitcase weighed over 80 lbs. (Checking one bag in business where the *G allowance is 3 X 32 kg.)

It's interesting that *A rules give one extra piece. Today that's technically one bag with some airlines like UA. But *Gs get three 32 kg bags with UA.

Originally Posted by Bigzamboni
On the SAS website, as far as I can see, it just mentions the fact that Eurobonus gold and silver get "an extra piece." Obviously, Star Gold get's additional too, but I've had instances where they treated it as +20kg as stated on the Star Alliance, not caring if one piece weighed more than 23 (From HEL for sure, but I'm reasonably certain it happened at ARN the last time I flew from there intra-europe.) As far as I can remember, I've only been held to the 23 limit and asked to repack when leaving Germany on SAS, but those were also workers who generally deal with Lufthansa-group flights.

So, I *think* you'll be fine, and would suggest also having the star alliance gold benefits page printed out. But perhaps someone here flies from ARN/CPH more often and can give better insight.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 1:27 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
SK gives *G one extra piece according to the service class. So if you have an economy ticket that normally gives you 1x23kg, as *G you can have 2x23kg.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 4:02 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
I am SK*G and had 1 bag of 32kg to checkin on OV M flight CPH TLL (allowance: 2x23 kg). Check in by SAS. They forced me to repack. I have nothing against the agent that follows the rules... but when a manager came and confirmed I would not be able to check one bag over 23 kg without extra fee, I was really pissed. Employees are there to apply the rules, managers are there to make sure everything is fine and use common sense in cases like that.

Result: SAS/OV did not get any extra cent from me, I checked in an additional small bag, I made a mess at the understaffed Gold/Business area (nice for those in line!) I was wearing several sweaters and winter jacket in summer time to fill up the overhead bins (nice for security agents and fellow passengers).

This has happened to me once in OTP flying OS (I am also Senator with them) but never at FRA/MUC flying LH where it was more like "yes, your luggage is overweight but since you have one piece and you are Senator, no problem". Also happened with AF a few times.

The way airlines behave with their "gold" customers makes me feel closer to fly low cost more often rather than sticking to "full service" airlines that behave more like low cost carriers, except for the fares of course!
Old Aug 10, 2012, 4:53 am
Original Poster

Hmm. This is what I expected. I guess it might cost an extra 90 euros.

However, I wonder if SAS is more flexible if it's their own flights. Maybe they feel that they have to follow the letter of the law and collect the money for a partner airline and Estonian is not in *A anyway? But it appears that they use Eurobonus, so never mind.

Originally Posted by ranskis
I am SK*G and had 1 bag of 32kg to checkin on OV M flight CPH TLL (allowance: 2x23 kg). Check in by SAS. They forced me to repack. I have nothing against the agent that follows the rules... but when a manager came and confirmed I would not be able to check one bag over 23 kg without extra fee, I was really pissed. Employees are there to apply the rules, managers are there to make sure everything is fine and use common sense in cases like that.

Result: SAS/OV did not get any extra cent from me, I checked in an additional small bag, I made a mess at the understaffed Gold/Business area (nice for those in line!) I was wearing several sweaters and winter jacket in summer time to fill up the overhead bins (nice for security agents and fellow passengers).

This has happened to me once in OTP flying OS (I am also Senator with them) but never at FRA/MUC flying LH where it was more like "yes, your luggage is overweight but since you have one piece and you are Senator, no problem". Also happened with AF a few times.

The way airlines behave with their "gold" customers makes me feel closer to fly low cost more often rather than sticking to "full service" airlines that behave more like low cost carriers, except for the fares of course!
Old Aug 10, 2012, 6:04 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

On most trips when and if I get into such situations, I just go to a DIY store the day before and buy a mid size moving box. Its within the dimensions, sturdy enough and costs 3-5$
Old Aug 10, 2012, 6:17 am

I have been forced to re-pack at SEA, because I was 1.5Kg over the limit - but still one bag below my limit. While this was the letter of the rules, it was not a very logical nor a great experience.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 6:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
On most trips when and if I get into such situations, I just go to a DIY store the day before and buy a mid size moving box. Its within the dimensions, sturdy enough and costs 3-5$
ANA provides such boxes free of charge. But all of this is just silly.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 6:36 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
And probably weighs less than a suitcase, right?!

Good one. ^

Last edited by SuperFlyBoy; Aug 10, 2012 at 7:22 am
Old Aug 10, 2012, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by gnaget
ANA provides such boxes free of charge. But all of this is just silly.
Sure, but instead of spreading my goods out on an airport floor in front of checkin, I pack in the comfort of my room
Old Aug 10, 2012, 6:55 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
I used to have a small collapsible bag in my big suitcase before, for such situations... until TAP crashed it completely including its content! Got it refunded (after 10 months) but now I need to find another one as practical as the one I had, oh lazy me...
Old Aug 10, 2012, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by ranskis
I used to have a small collapsible bag in my big suitcase before, for such situations...
Yep, had that too... problem is the collapsible bags get squeezed easy, anything inside is churned and squeezed.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 3:52 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
And probably weighs less than a suitcase, right?!

Good one. ^
I carry a collapsible large duffel bag for circumstances like this. Small bags and boxes that weight 5 pounds or less seem to get delayed/lost way more often than larger bags or boxes.

I can fill it up with small boxes if desired without delay/loss frequency rising.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 2:15 am

Programs: SK-EBD*G, AF Ivory, Hertz Pres Circle, SPG, Carlson Concierge, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum
Of course depending on what you wanna pack, but I have several times used one of those plastic bags you can get at check-in supposed to be used for trolleys, golf bags etc. After filling it with clothing that can survive some wrinkles I have wrapped it in one of those machines usually used for wrapping suitcaes or boxes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.