Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connections in Oslo (OSL)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Connections in Oslo (OSL)

Hi all, newbie here so sorry if this is a stupid question or in the wrong place.

I'm flying KEF - OSL - ZRH in September. It's all been done as one booking on the SAS site, flying with them both flights, however the system has only given a 45 minute connection time in OSL. That seems dangerously short to me.

I'll be checking in online, but will have checked bags. No idea if they'll get checked through for the whole route, or if I'll have to pick them up in OSL and re-check them for the second flight.

The only thing I can see that might work to my advantage is it's all within Schengen. I'll be on a UK passport.

Bit new to all this, can anyone advise how this will work, and if a 45 minute connection time is even do-able?

Thanks in advance
Old Jul 24, 2012, 12:02 pm

You and your baggage will be checked through. 45 minutes is no problem for an international transfer. Follow the signage for international transfers and you'll drop right down into the transit hall.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

That's reassuring thank you! Does that mean I won't have to pick up my checked baggage, it'll just be put straight onto the next flight?

(Sorry for the dumb question, it's the first time I've done this...)
Old Jul 24, 2012, 4:06 pm

Programs: TK M&S Elite (*G), SK EB Silver, various more or less shiny hotel cards
Yes, your bags will be transfered at OSL without you having to see them.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 1:51 am
Original Poster

Great news, thanks for confirming. I was only concerned as I'd read some other threads about OSL where passengers had to claim their bags and re-check them for the transfer. Don't know what the difference is in my case, but I trust you guys!
Old Jul 25, 2012, 5:08 am

Programs: EBG, FBG, SPG Gold, CC Gold, etc.
Still holds for domestic connections

That still holds for domestic transfers, as all passengers connecting on to a domestic flight must always clear customs at Oslo, recheck baggage, and go through security.

(This is why I always try to connect in CPH before flying home to TRD. I don't understand how the Swedes have a system miles better than ours. Oh well!)
Old Jul 27, 2012, 3:51 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Originally Posted by cjedj
Great news, thanks for confirming. I was only concerned as I'd read some other threads about OSL where passengers had to claim their bags and re-check them for the transfer. Don't know what the difference is in my case, but I trust you guys!
Although Norway is part of the Schengen treaty (i.e. no passports check for intra-Schengen travel), Norway is not part of the EU,and thus a separate customs jurisdiction. As in the US, in Norway all customs clearance is done at point of entry, thus the claiming/re-checking theatre for those connecting INT/DOM at OSL. As more people connect INT/DOM than INT/INT at OSL and MCT INT/DOM is short at OSL this has been a point frequently brought up here at FT.

(If travelling INT/DOM at OSL and at risk of losing connection, especially if last flight of the day, SK often recommend people not to wait for the luggage, but claim it at final destination instead. It usually arrives next day, but I have experienced the luggage arriving on the same flight as me! SK also tends to hold last flights of the day for connecting passengers. YMMV)
Old Jul 27, 2012, 3:57 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the clarification ksu

In my case it's INT/INT as I'm flying onto ZRH, so I'm glad to know I can avoid this hassle!
Old Aug 12, 2013, 10:02 am

SVG-OSL-BCN 45 min connection OK?

Hi all, newbie here so sorry if this is a stupid question.

I'm flying SVG - OSL - BCN (Domestic to Schengen international) in September. the system has only given a 45 minute connection time in OSL. That seems dangerously short to me.

I'll be checking in online, but will have checked bags. No idea if they'll get checked through for the whole route, or if I'll have to pick them up in OSL and re-check them for the second flight.

Bit new to all this, can anyone advise how this will work, and if a 45 minute connection time is even do-able?

My ticket is UA issued award ticket and my OSL-BCN leg will be the only flight that day. How will SK handle if I miss my connection? Rebook me to OSL-BCN next day or on other partners' flights.

Thanks in advance
Old Aug 12, 2013, 10:47 am

If you can get your luggage checked through to your final destination (which they should be able to do for you), you just need to exit the domestic arrival area downstairs and go on the elevator to the departures hall upstairs. The security check is common for both domestic and international departures (go right after security to get to the international side). This should take you approximately 20 minutes from gate to gate if there are no long queues in security, which I doubt there will be.

Snacky
Old Aug 12, 2013, 11:39 am

Programs: EBG
45 min should be OK for you and luggage.
As far as I know you can follow transfer signs at domestic and go upstairs inside domestic area. That is much faster than exiting domestic the usual way and wait in line for security again.

SAS will check through to final destination if both flights are SAS, even if different tickets. Consider what to put in carry-on vs check-in luggage and have your travel insurance policy ready if luggage don't make the connetion.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 1:34 pm

http://www.osl.no/en/osl/baggageandc...ity/X_Transfer

Looks like a quick transfer from domestic to international can't be done, just domestic-domestic or international-international.

Snacky

Last edited by Snacky; Aug 12, 2013 at 1:46 pm
Old Aug 12, 2013, 3:34 pm

Programs: EK Gold, SK Gold
SVG-OSL-BCN 45 min connection OK?

No, when you arrive at OSL from SVG, simply follow the transfer signs. This takes you to the domestic departures part of the terminal. Then just walk to the international part. 5 min easy walk. No extra security. Simple and easy. (Its only international to domestic that cant be done this way.. But this will hopefully change sometime in the neat future..)
Old Aug 12, 2013, 3:43 pm

Strange that the OSL website doesn't mention this possibility then. I did suspect it was possible, but didn't want to risk giving inaccurate information.

Snacky
Old Aug 14, 2013, 1:54 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Originally Posted by John in the tower
No, when you arrive at OSL from SVG, simply follow the transfer signs. This takes you to the domestic departures part of the terminal. Then just walk to the international part. 5 min easy walk. No extra security. Simple and easy. (Its only international to domestic that cant be done this way.. But this will hopefully change sometime in the neat future..)
John in the tower and NordicLight are correct . It is surprising that OSL doesn't give any information about DOM-INT-connections at all, but it is very easy (even if a longish walk). I do this regularly myself.

45 minutes is usually sufficient on SK DOM-OSL-INT, but count on spending 15 of them walking. Luggage will be tagged through, and you will not see it until you reach BCN. Just follow the sign to transfers. Be aware that the official connection point (where transfer security check as performed many years ago) is halfway down the domestic pier, so you'll have to do a bit of backtracking. There are temporary unmarked stairs down to the first floor domestic departure lounge before coming to the official connection point, if you pass one, just use it. From the domestic departure lounge follow the sign to the international departure lounge on the same floor, (through the one-way doors into the tax free shop)

Be aware that in some cases (dual INT/DOM gates, bus gates) you will end up before the one-way doors into the luggage hall on the ground floor. DO NOT go through them. Follow the sign up the very long flight of the stairs to the second floor and then the sign to the transfer check point, or use the elevator (somewhat hidden).

On a through flight SAS knows that you are coming, and there probably are quite a number of other PAX connecting to other flights as well. Just walk quickly to the departure gate.

I prefer to have a slightly longer connection if possible, especially in winter, to visit the lounge. But not if having to catch the 06.35 flight instead of the 09.20 for instance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.