Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connections in Oslo (OSL)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2016, 1:23 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Tango Alpha
2 SK-flights from AMS to OSL within 20 minutes?
Sorry about delayed response. No, the earlier flight would be LH to Oslo via Germany.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by TravellingBeard
Sorry about delayed response. No, the earlier flight would be LH to Oslo via Germany.
Adding 20 mins at OSL by adding a transfer in Germany?! To me that sounds more risky than a direct flight in case of irrops.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 7:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
1h35 connection at OSL, separate tickets - enough time?

So I am looking at booking LHR - OSL to position for an OSL - AKL trip.

My preference is an SAS service which arrives at OSL at 13:30, with the OSL - LHR departing at 15:05. But there is the following to consider:
  • Will this be enough time to claim immigration, collect bags and re-check?
  • Should we leave checked luggage at LHR and go HBO instead?
  • If we missed our OSL - LHR on the off chance of a late LHR - OSL, would it make any difference we were on SAS outbound? I know officially not...
  • Is this generally too ambitious and we should take an earlier flight and endure 5 hours in OSL?

Thanks for any tips as I haven't been through OSL before...
Old Mar 20, 2017, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
It should be plenty of time. OSL is really easy to navigate and bags are delivered fairly quickly.

If possible I would leave bags at LHR and check them in to AKL once you are back (provided that there is sufficient time to do this once you reach LHR). This would make your connection at OSL almost bullet proof.

There is a lot of info in the BA forum on how to do turn-arounds at OSL.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 8:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by SK AAR
It should be plenty of time. OSL is really easy to navigate and bags are delivered fairly quickly.

If possible I would leave bags at LHR and check them in to AKL once you are back (provided that there is sufficient time to do this once you reach LHR). This would make your connection at OSL almost bullet proof.

There is a lot of info in the BA forum on how to do turn-arounds at OSL.
Feeling a lot more relaxed now! Thank you!
Old Mar 20, 2017, 8:22 am

Not sure I would risk it.

OSL is rather small but still... if your LHR-OSL plane is late it will get difficult and you risk the whole long-haul itinerary.

SAS will not protect you in anyway if you do not show up for your OSL-LHR flight.

Just out of curiosity... the ticket to AKL is OSL-LHR-???-AKL? Which carrier ticketed that? NZ?
Old Mar 20, 2017, 8:49 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
I agree with Fassy. As you would have to go through passport control twice (increasingly a bottle-neck at OSL) and have to go through transfer security this is rather risky.

I'd take the earlier flight and take a quick trip into town if your first flight is on time. Arriving at 10.15, you'd be finished rechecking your luggage by 11, meaning you could be in town by 11.30, giving you two hours downtown, returning at 13.45. You'd then be at the airport a full hour before your return flight departs
Old Mar 20, 2017, 9:31 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by fassy

OSL is rather small but still... if your LHR-OSL plane is late it will get difficult and you risk the whole long-haul itinerary.
Plus 1.

Short-haul delays happen, especially on flights from LHR.

Murphy's_law: "If anything can go wrong, it will."
Old Mar 20, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
In this case I would not take the 1,5 hour layover, especially not on separate tickets where the second one is a trip half across the world.

Take the 5 hour layover to be safe. Get a meal, browse ugly Norwegian sweaters or nap in the lounge.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by fassy

SAS will not protect you in anyway if you do not show up for your OSL-LHR flight.

Just out of curiosity... the ticket to AKL is OSL-LHR-???-AKL? Which carrier ticketed that? NZ?
It's on SQ via Sin.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 9:37 am

Programs: Statusless and proud
I know it's within the MCT, but I'm flying LYR-OSL-CPH-KEF on an award ticket and I only have 35 minutes to connect in OSL after a schedule change. I'll be checking luggage since we're doing some camping in Iceland and my pack will be too large to carry-on. There is a later direct OSL-KEF flight without any award availability that I could likely get on if I misconnected (and if it's not full of course). Is 35 minutes enough for my luggage to make it? And, if I make it and my luggage doesn't, would they be able to "react" quickly enough to get it on the OSL-KEF flight?

Thanks,
Chris
Old Apr 7, 2017, 4:46 pm

Programs: SK-EBD
Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
I know it's within the MCT, but I'm flying LYR-OSL-CPH-KEF on an award ticket and I only have 35 minutes to connect in OSL after a schedule change. I'll be checking luggage since we're doing some camping in Iceland and my pack will be too large to carry-on. There is a later direct OSL-KEF flight without any award availability that I could likely get on if I misconnected (and if it's not full of course). Is 35 minutes enough for my luggage to make it? And, if I make it and my luggage doesn't, would they be able to "react" quickly enough to get it on the OSL-KEF flight?

Thanks,
Chris
In my opinion you should be safe. SAS is quite flexible in these cases, so if you miss the OSL-CPH-flight, there is time and a high likelihood, that you will be rebooked on OSL-KEF. Space permitting, of course.

It is also in the interest of SAS. Alternatives are rebooking on other carriers (FI) or overnight expenses at CPH. And +4 hours compensation. Rebooking cost zero.

35 minutes is per definition enough for the luggage. Should the connecting time get much smaller, your luggage could miss it. But as the OSL-flight leaves more than one hour later than the CPH-flight, there is time enough to redirect your baggage. And I suppose – suppose – that SK-handling at OSL is bright and flexible enough to see that opportunity....
Old Apr 9, 2017, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I am contemplating a connection in OSL with separate tickets with 1 hour and 50 minutes between flights. Arriving with BA from LHR connecting to TAP to LIS. I have top status with both alliances, if it matters, and only a carry on. Early fall, so weather should be ok. This should be pretty safe with enough room for error, right? Even if the BA flight is late, I can afford about an hour of delay or so, what do you think? What do you think is the unofficial MCT in this scenario?

My alternative option is painful, so I think this is a reasonable risk, although I don't really want to risk the TAP ticket.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 10:49 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Outside of LHR-OSL-LIS being a significant detour that can most certainly be done cheaper and quicker, I would not recommend a connection under 2 when traveling on separate itineraries. Especially not when coming form LHR. This is of course my subjective opinion. In case of no alternatives, I would account for 3-4 hours minimum.

Last edited by FlyingMoose; Apr 9, 2017 at 10:54 am
Old Apr 9, 2017, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
Outside of LHR-OSL-LIS being a significant detour that can most certainly be done cheaper and quicker, I would not recommend a connection under 2 when traveling on separate itineraries. Especially not when coming form LHR. This is of course my subjective opinion. In case of no alternatives, I would account for 3-4 hours minimum.
Yea, I have to do it like this because I am connecting two separate itineraries. But I cant risk missing the TAP flight (highly restricted TATL J ticket that will cost me a ton if I miss it), so I will have to get to OSL the day before it seems.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.