Wiki Posts
Search

SAS to Tel Aviv

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2012, 2:44 am

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
Originally Posted by Bjarnebjarne
Hello ladies and gentlemen,

I am new to this forum, so I thought I might start off with a report on the TLV-CPH route, which I will be undertaking tonight in Economy Extra. Stay tuned!
And yes, I will make a point of asking for the champagne which I understand has been discontinued in Economy Extra, just to keep the pressure on SAS on this one....
Will you be returning on the same route? I would like to hear about check in/security/lounge exprience in TLV
Old Aug 9, 2012, 5:49 am

Programs: EB
Route

I would like to hear about check in/security/lounge exprience in TLV

I am actually flying from TLV to CPH first, so I will include everything in the first report already.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 5:32 pm

Programs: EB
TLV-CPH on SK 772, 09.08.2012

First things first: Security at Ben Gurion is a night-mare. There is a pre-flight screening of the luggage and a small interview(!) and if you have anything in your luggage arising suspicion, you get pulled aside for extra questioning and might even have to pack up your luggage there and then.
One hint: When traveling Business you can avoid the queue, and since EBG's can check in the Business counter, I always use this when leaving from Ben Gurion, regardless of class I am travelling in.
After the first security screening has been taken care of, there is the check-in. It was a hidden counter farther back in the building, but it went rather quick for me as there were no people in front of me in the Business line.
Then there is the "ordinary" security check, which is not too harassing, but there might be long lines here as well. And then passport check. And do not forget all the seemingly random people asking you to show your boarding pass and passport at seemingly random times..

Ok, so the flight: I was in Eco Extra, since I needed the flex ticket and wanted some service on-board. Since there are no reclining seats in C (this was a Airbus 321), I figured that Business was not worth the extra buck.
Service was ok, to older male stewards who were nice but a bit distant - and I always had to ask for extra drinks after the meal - they never approached me. I also btw asked for the champagne and I got a terrible sparkling thing - without telling me that the champagne had been discontinued in Eco Extra (as I have read in other debates here on the forum).
One highlight was the food: It was a small salmon starter (gravlaks), a good cooked salmon with delicious eggplant and then both cheese and some chocolate for dessert. I thought it to be very tasty and satisfying.
Legroom was more than enough for a rather tall man like me, so nothing to complain about there. The bathroom up-front was also clean and spacious, very pleasant.
So, the experience was a bit up-and-down. I would have expected a bit more from Eco Extra, especially since they are hyping it so much. It would not have taken much: A decent champagne and a bit more attentive service would have made the whole trip great.
But for C, I really doubt it is worth it with the lack of reclining seats - then I would opt for LH, which I have flown on C a few times out a TLV, a completely different experience! But for me, the fact that I can get directly to CPH (and later also to OSL) is a determing factor; I hence will probably use Eco Extra in this route again - Eco seemed to be very full and it seemed to be extremely loud and chaotic back there.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:52 am

LH will discontinue their lohghaul service to TLV from winter schedule, leaving only LX as descent option...
Old Aug 11, 2012, 2:01 am

Programs: EB, M&M, FB, Matmid, HH, Bonvoy
Smile

Well, the security at TLV is quite tight, and even tighter if you fly ElAl for a reason.
I suggest is to ask your company (or the company you are visiting) to file a mokdan, a document that certifies your lodgings and activities while in Israel. Is a sort of pre-screening issues by The Israel Airport Authority, and usually spares you the need to open your register luggage before check in. On Thursday I had a monster bag with all my scuba gear (for a weekend in Eilat and Aqaba...) and I breezed through the security.

And BTW, we were on the same plane I understand that it is the longest working day for the cabin crew, but I found them very nice. Last week the flight was with the "heritage" A319 and there was really a super crew!^
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Thumbs up How is SAS to TLV?

Originally Posted by clubman
3 months after returning to the route, SAS are going to increase their twice weekly flights between TLV-CPH to 3 weekly as well as replace the A319 currently doing the route to an A321.

They will also adjust the schedule to better suit the Israeli business PAX, so flights will now go Sun,Tue, Thu and depart TLV at 15:20 instead of 19:00 allowing for better connections to the rest of Scandinavia.

In Hebrew:

http://www.ynet.co.il/articles/0,7340,L-4278838,00.html
I need to fly to CPH soon. How is SAS? As of now, I'm likely going to do LX to SK - is it worth looking into the direct?

Originally Posted by clubman
Tourism Ministry working with Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel to expand Israel-US flight direct flight routes to include Chicago...

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...270192,00.html
Interesting. The article claims that UA has a lack of airplanes. Now that may have been true of CO. But UA came into the merger with many planes. But I don't know how many more slots they have at ORD. And I'd always thought they'd start SFO-TLV before ORD.

If UA were indeed to add TLV routes, my guess would be SFO to start, then ORD, and then IAH if there were still demand. (There wouldn't likely be - but just how I see it. Or even 2 X weekly ex-ORD and 2 X weekly ex-IAH.)
Old Sep 11, 2012, 1:33 am

Programs: UA 1K; LY Gold; DL Gold; BA Bronze
Originally Posted by joshwex90
I need to fly to CPH soon. How is SAS? As of now, I'm likely going to do LX to SK - is it worth looking into the direct
I would take the direct if possible and if flying Y:
In Y there shouldn't be much difference, however in business the seats will be regular economy ones with the middle seats blocked (unlike the LX business class on their wide-bodies).
Old Sep 11, 2012, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gordo6
I would take the direct if possible and if flying Y:
In Y there shouldn't be much difference, however in business the seats will be regular economy ones with the middle seats blocked (unlike the LX business class on their wide-bodies).
Are there any European carriers who have a normal C class for narrowbody planes? I know BA will have a normal C on their ex-BD A321s and I know IB has a normal C on some planes (anyone know which ones?). Do any other European carriers have normal C?
And why do they not bother to give a decent hard product?
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:47 am

Programs: SAS Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG RA Spire
Legroom on SAS' A321 is a disaster. Absolutely terrible! I can hardly handle OSL-CPH, so TLV-CPH can not be good for you. Go with LX. NEK-seats aren't the best, but for really long flights, legroom is more important. You can always get a pillow for the hard seatback.

If in C, LX usually do fly with proper widebody aircrafts, meaning lieflat seats. That's a no-brainer as opposed to SAS. Do note, however, that LX tend to downgrade the TLV-flights to a narrowbody on a short notice.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:52 pm

Programs: SK Diamond (*G), HH Gold
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Are there any European carriers who have a normal C class for narrowbody planes? I know BA will have a normal C on their ex-BD A321s and I know IB has a normal C on some planes (anyone know which ones?). Do any other European carriers have normal C?
OS has fitted normal C (2+2) into some of their A321's used on Middle East routes. I did VIE-CAI and it worked out well. Not sure if they use this config on TLV.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 9:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K; LY Gold; DL Gold; BA Bronze
Originally Posted by BHIL
Not sure if they use this config on TLV.
They don't .
Old Sep 12, 2012, 1:26 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by BHIL
OS has fitted normal C (2+2) into some of their A321's used on Middle East routes. I did VIE-CAI and it worked out well. Not sure if they use this config on TLV.
OS abandoned the the premium A32S concept and removed all those configs when they got the BL3250 aka NEK.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 1:43 am

Programs: SK Diamond (*G), HH Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
OS abandoned the the premium A32S concept and removed all those configs when they got the BL3250 aka NEK.
Ups, I missed that one. Thanks for correcting me. Too bad, as I found the premium product to be good value for money. But that is of course a bit OT
Old Sep 12, 2012, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Why would they do that? Granted, I'm used to the USA or Israel where LY has a premium cabin on narrowbody, but I still find it dumb that European carriers, especially ones like BA, LX, and LH, who are known for their premium cabins, don't bother to make a real one for narrowbody flights.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 8:50 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
It seems no one wants to pay extra... 5-6 years ago there was a massive hue and cry why AMM and BEY were downgraded to A32S service with economy seating in C, nowadays easy jet flies there and everyone enjoys the low cost. TLV is the only destination that still enjoys widebody service by any major airline from Europe, it seems there is a premium to be made.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.