Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Sign in using an external account

Old Feb 8, 12, 2:37 am   #1

Programs: LH Senator, FB Gold
SAS stops flying to HEL

As from the beginning of March SAS stops flying to HEL (http://yle.fi/uutiset/kotimaa/2012/0...i_3240154.html). Blue1 will take care of the traffic between Finland and Scandinavia. Could that mean the end of SAS lounge in HEL?
SAKKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 12, 5:13 am   #2

Programs: *G, OW, ST, SPG G, HH D, IC Amb, PriorityPass, AX Plat
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAKKE View Post
As from the beginning of March SAS stops flying to HEL (http://yle.fi/uutiset/kotimaa/2012/0...i_3240154.html). Blue1 will take care of the traffic between Finland and Scandinavia. Could that mean the end of SAS lounge in HEL?
I would guess that there the lounge stays, but might change owner/operator. There better be a *-lounge in Helsinki as I have just become *G
vulle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 12, 5:29 am   #3

Why would they close the lounge? Call it a blue1 or StarAlliance lounge, but itīs not going away.
Helsinki Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 12, 6:14 am   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helsinki Flyer View Post
but itīs not going away.
One begins to wonder whether it's SAS that's ultimately going away
bosboy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 12, 9:20 am   #5

Programs: Back to Scandic, SK and AY. ClubONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosboy73 View Post
One begins to wonder whether it's SAS that's ultimately going away
Better use your points asap then.
tsastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 12, 4:32 am   #6

Programs: SK Eurobonus Silver, DL, AA, AY, US
It seems SK will continue operating CPH-TKU for a while even after February, but that will eventually change to a Cimber wetlease (still an SK flight, not KF).

Anyway this is kind of historical, has SK ever not operated to HEL before?

From passengers point of view I guess the biggest change is that there is no longer J class out of HEL.
mkgrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 12, 4:54 pm   #7

Programs: LH M&M, SK EB, UA MP, TK Miles & Smiles Elite, Marriott Gold, A-Club Plat, PC Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold
I think it makes sense that SK stops flying CPH-HEL. Why should there be 2 airlines that belong to the smae company flying the same route?
Old Feb 9, 12, 10:55 pm   #8

Programs: SAS EB, BA EC, ANA MC, Norwegian Reward
Quote:
Originally Posted by nacho View Post
I think it makes sense that SK stops flying CPH-HEL. Why should there be 2 airlines that belong to the smae company flying the same route?
I never fly with Blue1 or to Finland but out of interest, does this mean there will be only Finnish crews and no service in Scandinavian languages?

Is this a way reduce the need of expensive cabin personnel from Scandinavian countries?
Aldo B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 12, 3:37 am   #9

The Finnish crew should be able to speak Swedish. I donīt think Blue1 is paying a lot less than SAS for their crew. Yes, itīs true that itīs a young airline with less historical baggage than SAS, less powerful unions etc, but itīs not like Finnish wages are that low.
Helsinki Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 12, 4:04 pm   #10

Programs: SK-EBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAKKE View Post

Well, not completely. SK 1714 / 1715 will continue although (like CPH-TKU) switch to a CRJ 200 operated by Cimber.
Old Feb 10, 12, 7:01 pm   #11
vpk

Programs: AYS, EBG, AAP, FB, CZ, AK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldo B View Post
Is this a way reduce the need of expensive cabin personnel from Scandinavian countries?
As said. There is virtually no difference with cabin personnel wages between Finland and Scandinavia. But there is lot of difference with Blue1 and SAS overhead costs as Blue1 is new generation airline.

IMO Blue1 do still offer better customer experience on board than it's mother SAS. There is still something left from it's early days spirit of a young challenger... allthough slowly they seem to be adopting the some bad habits of the mother.

And... yes. You can get still your sandwich ordered (and paid!) in Swedish It is just one hour flight so interaction with the FAs is minimal.
vpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 12, 3:28 am   #12

Location: Either below the Ockham stack or below the approach to SDKY
Programs: AA EXP. Former over-entitled UA 1k, now freeloading 1MM/*G with 0 PQD
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpk View Post
As said. There is virtually no difference with cabin personnel wages between Finland and Scandinavia. But there is lot of difference with Blue1 and SAS overhead costs as Blue1 is new generation airline.

IMO Blue1 do still offer better customer experience on board than it's mother SAS. There is still something left from it's early days spirit of a young challenger... allthough slowly they seem to be adopting the some bad habits of the mother.

And... yes. You can get still your sandwich ordered (and paid!) in Swedish It is just one hour flight so interaction with the FAs is minimal.
But no C class... and how is their Danish and Norwegian?
Passmethesickbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 12, 9:00 am   #13

Programs: SK Eurobonus Silver, DL, AA, AY, US
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag View Post
No C (on board, you can buy a business ticket, but all you get for that is the lounge, luggage quota and points) but there will be Blue1 Premium, which is pretty much equivalent to SAS Y (Economy Extra). On the other hand that is the way it already is on the intra Scandinavian routes (and KF has already been operating OSL alone for a while AFAIK, so same thing there). The good news is the Optiontown upgrades that are available on Blue1, if you are in M.

No Norwegian or Danish though, apart from what can be understood through Swedish (well, I guess there might be a KF attendant somewhere that speaks other Scandinavian languages, but a rarity for sure).

Last edited by mkgrip; Feb 11, 12 at 9:08 am.
mkgrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 12, 2:15 am   #14

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag View Post
So how "One coffee please" or "It's 3 euros, thank you" are different in Danish and Norwegian from Swedish?
WilcoRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 12, 3:33 am   #15

Programs: AY+ Platinum, A3*G, QR Silver
Haha, even "gratis" (free of charge) would be understood all around..

Actually, the biggest language problems between Danes, Swedes and Norwegians would be swedes having trouble understanding danish. You need to be tuned to danish intonation and diphtong, that can take a while.

I guess most CA speaks "scandinavian" or "svorsk" where you just remove/replace the words that are most odd for each language.