Search

Redundant check-in

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2010, 3:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: EBG, HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Elite
Redundant check-in

Dear all

Our travel agent has just booked a multi leg flight around europe (CPH-MUN-AMS-CPH). The flights are all SK and LH. Due to Lufthanse having quite high single fares, the agent booked the MUN-AMS leg as a return flight, with the return being one week later.
I believe it is necessary to check-in for the return flight as well to redeem EB points for both the LH flights (MUN-AMS), although I only go one way? Is there anything talking against this procedure?

Best regards
Lukas
Old Nov 3, 2010, 4:08 am

Programs: SK EB*G
If you OLCI and then is a no-show, you don't get the points anyway, IIRC (source: old thread in this forum).

You do deny someone the seat though, and risk delaying the flight while they look for you.

Further, if you're in discounted economy you won't get many EB points for that flight anyway (150?), and since it's a LH flight it won't count for segment status qualification with EB. Just don't bother.

Update: Just realised the question perhaps was if you had to check-in for the return flight to get points for the outbound. That won't be necessary. You get points for flown flights (and sometimes IT dept miscues...). If the flight is part of a longer itinerary though, you lose the remaining flights altogether if you no-show, but that's another story.

Last edited by seat56f; Nov 3, 2010 at 4:18 am Reason: Clarification
Old Nov 3, 2010, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: EBG, HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Elite
I entirerly agree with you on this. Exactly the fact of blocking potential stand-by passengers as well as delaying the flight were the ones making me seek a second opinion here. I now see, that those are quite valid arguments for not doing an OLCI for the return flight.

Just an addidtional question. It is correctly understood, that the qualifying flights needed for a EB status upgrade must be SAS operated flights, and codeshare doesn't count?

Brgds
Lukas
Old Nov 3, 2010, 7:02 am

Programs: SK EBG |CSA OK+ Gold | SPG Gold | CO, BD, QR, AF lowlife
Originally Posted by llunow
It is correctly understood, that the qualifying flights needed for a EB status upgrade must be SAS operated flights, and codeshare doesn't count?
Correct. Only SAS, Blue1, and Widerøe operated flights count.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 7:14 am

Programs: SK EB*G
Originally Posted by SirRagnar
Correct. Only SAS, Blue1, and Widerøe operated flights count.
And this works both ways, of course. A ticket with a non-SK flight number on a SK operated flight will still count towards segment qualifaction.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 10:53 am

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
Talking

Which is nice! Will have in December a HEL-CPH-STR-CPH-HEL booked on lh.com for 191€, operated by SK. So under 50€ per segment! SK wanted 300€ for the same flights...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.