Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS

Subscribe
Has anyone had recent experience with the 'optiontown.com' upgrades?

Is this program still running? Do flights still get status points of the upgraded class? Any sense of whether flights booked close in (couple of weeks before) do better or worse than flights booked way in advanced?

Thanks,
On the back of this, any idea if the business lounge access is given or is it purely the flight upgrade?

As it goes I noticed optiontown about two weeks back. I,ve tried this for a flight to Tokyo next week so I'll let you know how it goes.
Quote: Has anyone had recent experience with the 'optiontown.com' upgrades?

Is this program still running? Do flights still get status points of the upgraded class? Any sense of whether flights booked close in (couple of weeks before) do better or worse than flights booked way in advanced?

Thanks,
Data point: CPH-BKK return. Applied early October for upgrade, Eco to Eco Extra. Outbound (Nov 26) I was not upgraded, return flight (Dec 12) I did get the upgrade.

On the upgraded return flight I also got the 150% points of upgraded class.
Quote: On the back of this, any idea if the business lounge access is given or is it purely the flight upgrade?

As it goes I noticed optiontown about two weeks back. I,ve tried this for a flight to Tokyo next week so I'll let you know how it goes.
If you get upgraded to Business Class using Optiontown, *A upgrade or point upgrade at CI you will have access to the Business Class lounge SAS uses at the departing airport.

This is not clearly stated on the SAS homepage, but as you hold a C-class BP you will be let in without problems.
Upgraded a Jan 8 ARN-EWR flight successfully from economy to economy extra, applied for the upgrade at the end of December. Got points for Y.
Ah brilliant, thanks for the info there. Well fingers crossed.
Quote: If you get upgraded to Business Class using Optiontown, *A upgrade or point upgrade at CI you will have access to the Business Class lounge SAS uses at the departing airport.

This is not clearly stated on the SAS homepage, but as you hold a C-class BP you will be let in without problems.
A bit OT but:
Actually, if you do a points upgrade at the checkin it says in the terms you are NOT entitled to ground services such as lounges. But your C-class BP looks the same as everybody elses so they cannot tell the difference. I have never been denied access, anyway
Do any of you have any experience with optiontown upgrades intra-Europe? If so, what are typical costs of such an upgrade? Success rate of getting upgraded? Is it at all worth it?

-AspFF
I just got my confirmation for a ORD-ARN flight on Saturday. Applied yesterday and the cost was 175 Euro for cheap Economy > Economy Extra. Now I hope to be able to use 20,000 points to upgrade to C at the airport.

And of course the 150% earning is way better than 25%, especially with the double status points offer currently running.
Quote: I just got my confirmation for a ORD-ARN flight on Saturday. Applied yesterday and the cost was 175 Euro for cheap Economy > Economy Extra. Now I hope to be able to use 20,000 points to upgrade to C at the airport.

And of course the 150% earning is way better than 25%, especially with the double status points offer currently running.
Do you know how much approx. they charge for an Economy Extra > Business upgrade on the same leg?
Quote: Do any of you have any experience with optiontown upgrades intra-Europe?
They only offer upgrades on the longhaul routes, so you cannot upgrade on europan flights.
Quote: They only offer upgrades on the longhaul routes, so you cannot upgrade on europan flights.
Right. Thanks for the clarification!

-AspFF
Quote: Do you know how much approx. they charge for an Economy Extra > Business upgrade on the same leg?
If I remember correctly my Y+ ticket ARN-EWR would be about 475 Euro to upgrade to C. I did not go for it on the outbound flight.
I am right now waiting for M->Y upgrade to clear on CPH-NRT tomorrow (cost was €199). There is availablity in all cabins on this flight but I hope SAS wants the extra added revenue for the upgrade even if they don't need to clear space in M. I am wondering whether I will kill the chance of it clearing if I check in online? What is the closest time to departure that an optiontown upgrade has been cleared for those who have tried it here?
My experience with Optiontown upgrades has not been so good! Last two flights I tried it (both Tokyo-Copenhagen) the upgrades did not clear. But there was plenty of room in C so I upgraded with points instead. I found that weird that they would not take my money but accept points for an upgrade?! The only time it did work was when Economy was obviously full, so I would probably have been op-uped anyway.