Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 25, 2013, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Optiontown - Upgrade on SK flights
SAS Scandinavian Airlines offers, via partner Optiontown, all customers the opportunity to purchase an upgrade on SK operated flights, which will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure, pending on seat availability.

SAS Go passengers can purchase an upgrade to SAS Plus on all flights and to SAS Business class on SAS’s intercontinental flights between Scandinavia, the US and Asia, while SAS Plus passengers also can buy an upgrade to SAS Business class on intercontinental flights.
Booking class Europe: A (SAS Plus)
Booking classes Intercontinental: Z (Business) and P (SAS Plus)
Note: All upgrades will be handled by Optiontown.
Contact to Optiontown

Phone: UK +44 (0) 203 371 7854
E-mail: [email protected]
Homepage: www.optiontown.com
Upgrade fees

Intercontinental flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR140 and EUR900, depending on availability, destination and service class.
European flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR30 and EUR75, depending on availability, destination and service class.

EUR 1 (one) for short haul flights
EUR 5 (five) for long haul flights.
Note: During the period 10JUN15-31AUG15, no sign up fee will be charged.
Reservation

All upgraded PNRs will be updated with and include OS SK OPTIONTOWN UPGRADE.
Reservation for non 117-documents (only applicable on long haul flights)

Reservations for non 117-documents will be updated by Optiontown with the following information:

OS SK UTO
SR CKIN SK KK. ATTN CHECK-IN. UTO PSGR. PLS UPGRADE TO (CLASS) ACC TO PROC ON SKXXX (DATE), UPG ALREADY PAID BRGDS REV MNGT.
Note: Tickets will not be reissued and upgrade will take place at check-in counter.
Rebooking
If the passenger wants to rebook a flight with confirmed upgrade via Optiontown, always use the original ticket fare, found in TWD, to calculate the fare difference.
Change fee must be collected if applicable for the original ticket.

Refund

After requesting upgrade it is not possible to change or cancel the upgrade request.
Upgrade amount is not refundable.

If the passengers upgrade request is not successful, the upgrade fee will be refunded.
Optiontown must be contacted for refund.
Restrictions

Upgrade of the following passengers cannot be performed:

Travel Pass passengers
Groups (booking class G)
Passengers holding award tickets (booking classes I and X)
ID-passengers (booking classes R and N)

Irregularity

Rebooking procedures for passengers with an upgrade, affected by irregularity:

Rebooking to other SK-flight
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is available - rebook the passenger in the upgraded booking class.
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is not available - rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.
Rebooking to other airline
Rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.

Note: In case of refund in above cases, the passenger himself must contact Optiontown and request refund.
Benefits

The upgraded passenger is entitled to:

Baggage allowance according to the new class
Star Alliance Priority tag
SAS Business check-in
Fast Track security
SAS Lounge access
EuroBonus points earned according to the new class
Onboard service according to the new class

Passenger process

Passenger makes a reservation on an SAS operated flight. Reservation must be confirmed.
Passenger logs onto www.optiontown.com, creates an account and enters credit card info.
Passenger can register the upgrade request immediately after reservation is made
Sign-up must be made latest 36 hours before departure

Optiontown selects the passengers to be upgraded according to conditions set forth by SAS

If there are seats available and the upgrade request is successful, the upgrade will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure.
Updated 03JUL15 08.57
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2014, 9:08 am

Flight upgraded for Friday SFO-CPH. Interestingly, the SAS booking system shows already the new cabin class while on Optiontown it still says the "upgrade decision is pending".
Old Apr 16, 2014, 9:31 am

Programs: AY, LH, KL, SK, D8, Marriott, Melia.
When I got new e-ticket from SAS with upgraded cabin class and seat shown, OT said decision pending. After one day I got OT email with Congratulations and OT status upgraded.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:01 am

Hehe, don't care what OT says as long as the airline puts me in a comfy seat

EDIT:// just got the confirmation mail

Last edited by fassy; Apr 16, 2014 at 1:23 pm
Old Apr 18, 2014, 7:08 am

Programs: Kimpton Inner Circle; IHG Spire elite; Marriott & SPG Gold, r
Follow-up: OT has made the refund for the second set of flights. So, as far that area, I would say that they are good about returning your money when you don't get upgraded.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EB*G, UA ex1K
Optiontown pricing seems to have gone insane!

I just checked optiontown for a flight ARN-ORD.

One way, the upgrade was 640 EUR Eco to Plus and 1460 EUR to Business.

Plus saver fare (still available): 8kkr...
Business saver fare (still available): 13kkr...

In other words, it would be cheaper to throw away my ticket and buy a business class ticket, than it would be to do an optiontown upgrade!

My overall impression of optiontown has been that it's a (legitimate) but shambolic organization, with very low rent outsourced customer service. Does anyone know what's up?
Old Apr 19, 2014, 2:36 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Originally Posted by neko

My overall impression of optiontown has been that it's a (legitimate) but shambolic organization, with very low rent outsourced customer service. Does anyone know what's up?
Optiontown has secured my EBG for a couple of years. My alternative would have been a couple of mileage runs. In that case it was much better to spend a reasonable amount of money to get better comfort on a trip that I would be making in any case, instead of spending the same money or more on a mileage run in Europe.

With my travel pattern (at least weekly domestic flights) and mile earnings again allowed on Norwegian domestics, I'm well on schedule to qualify for Diamond on segments alone. I might still pay for OT with the old prices, but with the doubling seen by myself, and the quadrupling seen by others, I prefer to go for upgrade for points, or even booking reduced business fares on SK or other *A carriers.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 9:59 am

Programs: EBD , FBG
Hi,

I flew to the us early February. My initial return was late February.
Due to work my return got changed several times and it is a sas plus ticket so that is no problem. However when I logged into optiontown with that booking number I only find the initial return for end February and can therefore not apply for upgrade on my planned return this late April.

Any ideas how I can update my booking in optiontown web page?

Thanks!
Old Apr 20, 2014, 1:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: EB*G, UA ex1K
Originally Posted by ksu
Optiontown has secured my EBG for a couple of years. My alternative would have been a couple of mileage runs. In that case it was much better to spend a reasonable amount of money to get better comfort on a trip that I would be making in any case, instead of spending the same money or more on a mileage run in Europe.
Yes, I've used optiontown a number of times and found it useful to reach EBG as well, especially when the point value for even rather expensive EU tickets was so low.

But if this isn't a fluke, the prices seem to have become irrational. It looks as if SAS is their only European airline - I wonder if the economics just don't work out in that environment (certainly no other major airline adopted it).

And I've never been even a little bit impressed with their customer service - it seems to be a low-quality outsourced backoffice. I missed at least one opportunity to use optiontown: Their website didn't find the booking (tried over a couple of days), I emailed, 3 days later I got a canned reply with instructions on how to enter things in the website, etc...Then there was the early sunday morning that they wouldn't stop calling to try to upsell me from extra to business - I think they called at 7am and again at 9am to read their script in bad English...

Last edited by neko; Apr 20, 2014 at 1:32 am
Old Apr 20, 2014, 2:58 am

Programs: Flying Blue: Platinum for Life Elite Plus - EuroBonus: Gold
-T minus 8 hours and still no confirmation of anything for today's flight. What should I do?

SB
Old Apr 20, 2014, 8:14 am

Wait... nothing else can be done.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 8:36 am

Programs: Kimpton Inner Circle; IHG Spire elite; Marriott & SPG Gold, r
Strikerbird - have you checked your spam box on email? Also, have you checked status on OT website??
Old Apr 20, 2014, 11:57 am

Programs: Flying Blue: Platinum for Life Elite Plus - EuroBonus: Gold
Yes. Just got an email stating I got nothing... ! Thanks everyone!

SB
Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:29 am

Programs: AY, LH, KL, SK, D8, Marriott, Melia.
Originally Posted by neko
Yes, I've used optiontown a number of times and found it useful to reach EBG as well, especially when the point value for even rather expensive EU tickets was so low.

And I've never been even a little bit impressed with their customer service - it seems to be a low-quality outsourced backoffice. I missed at least one opportunity to use optiontown: Their website didn't find the booking...
OT site did not find for 1.5 months my already made OT bid. Do I want to go again with OT? Not sure. I was even ready to fill claim form for VISA credit if no emails would have come before take off. It came day after SAS new e-ticket with upgraded class on it.

Originally Posted by ksu
Optiontown has secured my EBG for a couple of years. My alternative would have been a couple of mileage runs. In that case it was much better to spend a reasonable amount of money to get better comfort on a trip that I would be making in any case, instead of spending the same money or more on a mileage run in Europe.s.
Yes, me too prefer comfort, but OT won't always secure that for you.
For mileage run and other in Europe there are now PLUS sale for tickets at least until January 2015.
HEL-ARN-MAD return from 364€ in PLUS and 10 000 points.
If I take PVG flight in GO saver and make OT bid prices are from:
GO SAVER SALE, when it comes, HEL-CPH-PVG 622€ + 2x144€ OT bid for PLUS = 910€ and 21 800 points.
Oh, I did not get upgrade: 622€ and 11 400 points from HEL(L)
[total frustration to fly with LH from FRA/MUC to HEL as there is nothing to see from window, look at map, now CPH is better as flight is short].

Personally I would buy PLUS ticket both for Europe and long haul flights.
Or just take "a risk" for ORD/EWR flight that I won't get OT upgrade from GO.

Last edited by Abducted Alien; Apr 22, 2014 at 1:44 am Reason: cat in the lap, iPad in hands
Old Apr 23, 2014, 6:39 am

Programs: EBD
I've never had much luck with Optiontown. Have tried perhaps 6-7 times for different SAS Europe-US flights, all declined. I have had better luck with Eurobonus point upgrades (Gold status).

Earlier this year I registered early for paid upgrade from Eco to Business on CPH-SFO-CPH. Optiontown upgrade declined, but instead I was accepted for upgrade with points. Not that I'm complaining about that, but found it strange that point upgrade trumped quite expensive paid upgrade.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 7:03 am

Did you upgrade for points at check-in/gate or requested the confirmed upgrade via the SAS website upfront?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.