Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 25, 2013, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Optiontown - Upgrade on SK flights
SAS Scandinavian Airlines offers, via partner Optiontown, all customers the opportunity to purchase an upgrade on SK operated flights, which will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure, pending on seat availability.

SAS Go passengers can purchase an upgrade to SAS Plus on all flights and to SAS Business class on SAS’s intercontinental flights between Scandinavia, the US and Asia, while SAS Plus passengers also can buy an upgrade to SAS Business class on intercontinental flights.
Booking class Europe: A (SAS Plus)
Booking classes Intercontinental: Z (Business) and P (SAS Plus)
Note: All upgrades will be handled by Optiontown.
Contact to Optiontown

Phone: UK +44 (0) 203 371 7854
E-mail: [email protected]
Homepage: www.optiontown.com
Upgrade fees

Intercontinental flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR140 and EUR900, depending on availability, destination and service class.
European flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR30 and EUR75, depending on availability, destination and service class.

EUR 1 (one) for short haul flights
EUR 5 (five) for long haul flights.
Note: During the period 10JUN15-31AUG15, no sign up fee will be charged.
Reservation

All upgraded PNRs will be updated with and include OS SK OPTIONTOWN UPGRADE.
Reservation for non 117-documents (only applicable on long haul flights)

Reservations for non 117-documents will be updated by Optiontown with the following information:

OS SK UTO
SR CKIN SK KK. ATTN CHECK-IN. UTO PSGR. PLS UPGRADE TO (CLASS) ACC TO PROC ON SKXXX (DATE), UPG ALREADY PAID BRGDS REV MNGT.
Note: Tickets will not be reissued and upgrade will take place at check-in counter.
Rebooking
If the passenger wants to rebook a flight with confirmed upgrade via Optiontown, always use the original ticket fare, found in TWD, to calculate the fare difference.
Change fee must be collected if applicable for the original ticket.

Refund

After requesting upgrade it is not possible to change or cancel the upgrade request.
Upgrade amount is not refundable.

If the passengers upgrade request is not successful, the upgrade fee will be refunded.
Optiontown must be contacted for refund.
Restrictions

Upgrade of the following passengers cannot be performed:

Travel Pass passengers
Groups (booking class G)
Passengers holding award tickets (booking classes I and X)
ID-passengers (booking classes R and N)

Irregularity

Rebooking procedures for passengers with an upgrade, affected by irregularity:

Rebooking to other SK-flight
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is available - rebook the passenger in the upgraded booking class.
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is not available - rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.
Rebooking to other airline
Rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.

Note: In case of refund in above cases, the passenger himself must contact Optiontown and request refund.
Benefits

The upgraded passenger is entitled to:

Baggage allowance according to the new class
Star Alliance Priority tag
SAS Business check-in
Fast Track security
SAS Lounge access
EuroBonus points earned according to the new class
Onboard service according to the new class

Passenger process

Passenger makes a reservation on an SAS operated flight. Reservation must be confirmed.
Passenger logs onto www.optiontown.com, creates an account and enters credit card info.
Passenger can register the upgrade request immediately after reservation is made
Sign-up must be made latest 36 hours before departure

Optiontown selects the passengers to be upgraded according to conditions set forth by SAS

If there are seats available and the upgrade request is successful, the upgrade will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure.
Updated 03JUL15 08.57
Print Wikipost

Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2010, 5:06 pm

I'm travelling SAS, EWR to CPH on June 9th, returning June 21. There are only 11 seats left in Economy, and 3 seats returning in Economy. We paid to upgrade from Economy, to Economy plus via Optiontown a month ago. I know I won't know until day of travel, but I am hoping we get at least one of the segments...
Flights SK910 and SK909.
Michele
Old May 22, 2010, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Shoes99
I'm travelling SAS, EWR to CPH on June 9th, returning June 21. There are only 11 seats left in Economy, and 3 seats returning in Economy. We paid to upgrade from Economy, to Economy plus via Optiontown a month ago. I know I won't know until day of travel, but I am hoping we get at least one of the segments...
Flights SK910 and SK909.
Michele
I was in a similar situation (wrt to seat availability) and was upgraded 4 days before my outbound flight.

Originally Posted by freeman_swe
Is 172€ a good price for upgrading from economy to economy extra?
Will it become cheaper if I wait?
I think it might go lower, but it could also go higher too! That is better than what I paid for my EWR-CPH flight E-->EEx. I did get a phone call from them trying to get me to go to Business also.

Does anyone know if you can use miles on a Star Alliance award to upgrade to Biz on a Optiontown upgraded flight?
Old May 23, 2010, 1:58 pm
jth

Programs: SK EBS, BAEC blue, SPG
Originally Posted by neuron
I think it might go lower, but it could also go higher too! That is better than what I paid for my EWR-CPH flight E-->EEx. I did get a phone call from them trying to get me to go to Business also.
Actually, i just checked my booking and it seems it went from 156e to 196e for an upgrade!
Now, i could be wrong, but i think i remember correctly...
Old May 23, 2010, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by jth
Actually, i just checked my booking and it seems it went from 156e to 196e for an upgrade!
Now, i could be wrong, but i think i remember correctly...
Can they increase prize of upgrading without your agreement for the new prize ?
To see if you are wrong or not you can check the receipt Optiontown sent you when you first applied. Also at that time they took money from your credit card.

Last edited by vilntrav; May 24, 2010 at 1:42 am
Old May 23, 2010, 7:36 pm

For CPH-EWR or any other flight is it possible to apply through Optiontown both for an upgrade to Economy Extra and to business ? And if I get upgrade to Economy Extra from Option town can I upgrade to business from SAS by redeeming miles on top of it ?
Old May 24, 2010, 1:40 am

Programs: SK EBG,Delta Medallion/FB Gold, Choice Gold,M&M SEN,Hertz No.1 Gold,Club Carlson Elite Gold,
You should have no problems upgrading with points to Business, if you upgraded to Economy Extra with Optiontown. I did this a few weeks back, and it went smoothly.
Old May 24, 2010, 3:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by joemume
You should have no problems upgrading with points to Business, if you upgraded to Economy Extra with Optiontown. I did this a few weeks back, and it went smoothly.
Thanks, tried to use my UA miles and do a * Alliance upgrade, but no go! Worked out in the end anyway and I saved 20k miles!
Old Jun 2, 2010, 7:43 pm

Programs: EBG
Originally Posted by ILS2
Definitely SK 903 on June 2nd. Only two seats that has not been pre-reserved in Economy, which usually means they will be oversold in M. That will lead to op-ups to Y+, which in turn means op-ups from Y+ to C. This has happened to me many times now, especially around holidays.

On SK 904 on June 7th, Business Class actually comes up as sold out(!), so little or no chance for an upgrade to C at the moment.
They upgraded me and my friend to E+ at check-in and at gate they upgraded us to C. Really nice flight.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 2:28 am

Programs: SAS Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG RA Spire
Originally Posted by freeman_swe
They upgraded me and my friend to E+ at check-in and at gate they upgraded us to C. Really nice flight.
I'm glad it worked out. I'm hoping for the same on ARN-ORD on the 16th
Old Jun 3, 2010, 4:13 am

Programs: EBG
Thanks for your tip so we didnt waste our money and good luck.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 1:56 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold
I ordered my upgrade a couple days ago and got it confirmed today to Premium Economy for €172 plus €5 registration fee (€177 total).

Flying CPH to ORD tomorrow (confirmation came about 30 hours before flight).

I can see there are only 2xC class seats available on the whole plane (yesterday there were 4) so I was a bit surprised to get the upgrade. Hope it goes smoothly at the airport.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 7:01 pm

Programs: EBG, PC-g
I do feel this some kind of interesting with Optiontown: looking for chance to upgrade next saturday for PEK-CPH. This and all other flights around weekend are prop-full according to SAS which you should - possibly, trust.
Optiontown is still sending me (automatic) emails with High Uprgrade Chance, but not responding any emails to their customer service. For me this looks like they are just trying to collect service fees for nothing
Old Jun 6, 2010, 8:24 pm

Programs: TK*G, SAS EB Basic, CX MPC, KLM FB, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Yes, obviously optiontown earns their money on these service fees, and also probably on an assumption that a significant share of people will pay the service fee but not for the upgrade. 200-500 Euro is still not that cheap for a one-leg upgrade.

But I think it is good that there is a service to pay for upgrades, so that the traveller is more in control.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 3:31 pm

Programs: SAS Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG RA Spire
Originally Posted by ILS2
I'm glad it worked out. I'm hoping for the same on ARN-ORD on the 16th
...and it did. Six days before departure I recieved my upgrade confirmation. They must be heavily oversold in M. I'm going for an op-up to C, of course
Old Jun 15, 2010, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by pleh
I do feel this some kind of interesting with Optiontown:. . . Optiontown is still sending me (automatic) emails with High Uprgrade Chance, ... . For me this looks like they are just trying to collect service fees for nothing
I had a mixed experience with Optiontown this last weekend on a roundtrip, ORD-CPH-ARN -- ORD. About 6 weeks prior I purchased upgrade options from E to E+. About 2 weeks ago, they blasted me with emails to upgrade further to C ("High Probability!"). Expert Flyer showed Business wide open on ORD-CPH, but completely booked on the return ARN-ORD, so "High Probability!" was probably just a come-on. The price was right, so I paid the incremental amount required, over my initial deposit made for upgrades to E+.

About 3 days before departure, I was upgraded to E+, roundtrip. On the day of departure, Business was still wide open on ORD-CPH, so I assumed I'd get the call, but didn't.

At the airport, SAS ticket agents of course knew nothing about my OT request for an upgrade to Business. So I spent 40 minutes on the phone with OT trying to get an explanation out of them, which I never got.

The experience left a bad taste:
1) I'm a native English speaker, yet EVERY time I speak w/ an OT rep, I only understand about 10% of what they say. It is maddening to have to ask them to repeat and slow down, and even that doesn't help.
2) I get the distinct impression that OT reps work from home, because I always hear kitchen and family noises in the background. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it only makes understanding them more difficult.
3) They would give me no explanation for why I didn't get the upgrade from E+ to C, insisting that upgrade decisions were entirely their prerogative to award, according to criteria that was private and proprietary.
4) In the end I felt I'd been scammed to fork over the additional E+ to C deposit and service fees, when there was little chance of getting the upgrade. And I paid the service fees twice, once for each request.

Joël

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.