Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS

Old Mar 25, 2013, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Optiontown - Upgrade on SK flights
SAS Scandinavian Airlines offers, via partner Optiontown, all customers the opportunity to purchase an upgrade on SK operated flights, which will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure, pending on seat availability.

SAS Go passengers can purchase an upgrade to SAS Plus on all flights and to SAS Business class on SASs intercontinental flights between Scandinavia, the US and Asia, while SAS Plus passengers also can buy an upgrade to SAS Business class on intercontinental flights.
Booking class Europe: A (SAS Plus)
Booking classes Intercontinental: Z (Business) and P (SAS Plus)
Note: All upgrades will be handled by Optiontown.
Contact to Optiontown

Phone: UK +44 (0) 203 371 7854
E-mail: [email protected]
Homepage: www.optiontown.com
Upgrade fees

Intercontinental flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR140 and EUR900, depending on availability, destination and service class.
European flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR30 and EUR75, depending on availability, destination and service class.

EUR 1 (one) for short haul flights
EUR 5 (five) for long haul flights.
Note: During the period 10JUN15-31AUG15, no sign up fee will be charged.
Reservation

All upgraded PNRs will be updated with and include OS SK OPTIONTOWN UPGRADE.
Reservation for non 117-documents (only applicable on long haul flights)

Reservations for non 117-documents will be updated by Optiontown with the following information:

OS SK UTO
SR CKIN SK KK. ATTN CHECK-IN. UTO PSGR. PLS UPGRADE TO (CLASS) ACC TO PROC ON SKXXX (DATE), UPG ALREADY PAID BRGDS REV MNGT.
Note: Tickets will not be reissued and upgrade will take place at check-in counter.
Rebooking
If the passenger wants to rebook a flight with confirmed upgrade via Optiontown, always use the original ticket fare, found in TWD, to calculate the fare difference.
Change fee must be collected if applicable for the original ticket.

Refund

After requesting upgrade it is not possible to change or cancel the upgrade request.
Upgrade amount is not refundable.

If the passengers upgrade request is not successful, the upgrade fee will be refunded.
Optiontown must be contacted for refund.
Restrictions

Upgrade of the following passengers cannot be performed:

Travel Pass passengers
Groups (booking class G)
Passengers holding award tickets (booking classes I and X)
ID-passengers (booking classes R and N)

Irregularity

Rebooking procedures for passengers with an upgrade, affected by irregularity:

Rebooking to other SK-flight
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is available - rebook the passenger in the upgraded booking class.
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is not available - rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.
Rebooking to other airline
Rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.

Note: In case of refund in above cases, the passenger himself must contact Optiontown and request refund.
Benefits

The upgraded passenger is entitled to:

Baggage allowance according to the new class
Star Alliance Priority tag
SAS Business check-in
Fast Track security
SAS Lounge access
EuroBonus points earned according to the new class
Onboard service according to the new class

Passenger process

Passenger makes a reservation on an SAS operated flight. Reservation must be confirmed.
Passenger logs onto www.optiontown.com, creates an account and enters credit card info.
Passenger can register the upgrade request immediately after reservation is made
Sign-up must be made latest 36 hours before departure

Optiontown selects the passengers to be upgraded according to conditions set forth by SAS

If there are seats available and the upgrade request is successful, the upgrade will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure.
Updated 03JUL15 08.57
Print Wikipost

Old May 20, 2015, 4:40 pm

I've never flown SAS before, well I don't recall doing so, so i'd never encountered OT before, but received an e-mail from them today. Given a lot of the replies on here I am a bit confused, as my flight is very much short-haul (ARN to OSL) and most people refer to long haul flights.

I'm flying from London via BA in Business to ARN and then back from OSL to London with BA again also in Business, so my SAS flight is the only leg not on BA. But as BA will allow me 2x 23kg bags and SAS Go allows 1x, the chance to take 2x seemed worthwhile (plus I have a StarAlliance membership as well as OneWorld). I'll be flying to OSL on a Wednesday night from ARN, so not a peak time I would imagine!

So I was wondering, given that i'm only travelling short-haul, travelling solo and only currently on an SAS Go ticket, do people think my chances of an upgrade (having taken up OT's offer) are decent?

Last edited by Cybes; May 20, 2015 at 5:45 pm
Old May 22, 2015, 10:46 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Normally OT is not really considered worth it on short haul, unless you need points to requalify. I have no idea how the OT price compares to the fee for the extra bag checked. Personally, I would consider whether it is not possible to fly with one bag, and stick to GO.

Also if you have this on a single ticket, across BA and SK, are you sure that you are not in PLUS already? This kind of strange tickets tend to be in expensive booking classes already.
Old May 24, 2015, 2:24 pm

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
I had a very nice upgrade to SAS Plus intra-europe today.
10 rows of plus (3+3 seats) and only 3 people in Plus.
Old May 25, 2015, 2:12 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by helosc
I had a very nice upgrade to SAS Plus intra-europe today.
10 rows of plus (3+3 seats) and only 3 people in Plus.
What bookingclass did you get? My last intra EU flight with OTu went to C meaning 2000 points + EBG bonus, heard a couple other reports of the same, so wondering if it's the new norm?
Old May 25, 2015, 5:21 am

My CPH-SFO-CPH in April was issued into Z.
Old May 25, 2015, 10:09 am

I recently got 2000 points for an upgraded flight (C).
And as far as I remember this flight was also C booking class.

I have a problem with optiontown.
From yesterday afternoon, I have tried to request an upgrade for a flight on thursday.
I get as far as typing in all my information including my credit card details and then when I submit, the page goes in an endless loop.
Anyone else experiences this?
Old May 27, 2015, 7:36 am

My upgraded intra-European flight from Sunday did give 2000 points.
And an upgraded flight tomorrow has booking class C, so should give 2000 points too.
Old May 28, 2015, 1:25 pm

Programs: EuroBonus Pandion
My upgraded intra-European flight from Sunday did give 2000 points.
And an upgraded flight tomorrow has booking class C, so should give 2000 points too.
This is interesting.. Fairly easy to get to diamond this! Maybe just another costly IT glitch for SAS' side
Old May 29, 2015, 2:29 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
A few interesting observations around OptionTown recently. In the past 2 months I've brought Mrs FlyingMoose with on 3 LH trips, where her ticket was in Plus and we would use both option town and advance point upgrades to attempt to secure her a C seat.

Trip 1: ARN-ORD-XXX-EWR-ARN
Outbound: OptionTown declined, Advance points declined, surprisingly at the airport she had gotten a complimentary upgrade.
Inbound: OptionTown went through.

Trip 2: ARN-CPH-SFO-CPH-ARN
Outbound: OptionTown declined, Advance points upgrade went through.
Inbound: No upgrade, C was full ahead of time.

Trip 3: ARN-CPH-PVG-CPH-ARN
Outbound: No upgrade, C was full though before we went to the airport there where 2 seats free.
Inbound: OptionTown declined, Advance points upgrade went through.

So out of 6 flights she landed 4 upgrades, which is obviously great. The summary is 2 points upgrades, 1 complimentary and 1 OptionTown. SK apparently didn't really want our money through OptionTown, I wonder why.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 8:59 am

I think the OptionTown intra-European prices have gone up lately.

Has anyone else noticed this?

And has anyone figured out if OptionTown has a pricing system?
(cheaper to buy early?, cheaper to buy last minute?, the more times you check, the more prices go up?.......).

I am monitoring some flights I might want to upgrade and everytime I check, the prices have gone up.
The flights I am monitoring started at 37-42 , now I am seeing prices from 46-54 (fx 53 to Stuttgart, 51 to Berlin).
Some of the flights are soon but some are much later in the year.

The upgraded flights I have already flown, I paid 32-39 for.

In my limited experience, I think that I have noticed the cheapest prices if you request the upgrade immediately after booking your flight.
I have four flights I paid only 36-37 for when requesting an upgrade straight after booking the flights (one of them booked only a week ago).
But maybe this is only coincidence....
Old Jun 2, 2015, 3:31 am

Programs: Eurobonus EBD, BW Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, IHG Plat Amb, HH Diamond

Hi,
Cancelling ticket = Cash back or 0 cash?
I've read read reports in this thread that ppl get their UTo cash back after the flight date if they cancel the ticket before UTo goes through, can someone confirm or deny this?
I have a ticket that I won't use and I'd prefer not flush the OT cash down with it, was hoping to salvage the taxes and the UTo cash minus the fee.
Tia.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 4:41 am

Perhaps to recover for the upgrade into C booking class rather than A which has been now reported?
Old Jun 2, 2015, 4:41 pm

Programs: EuroBonus Pandion

Has anyone else noticed this?

And has anyone figured out if OptionTown has a pricing system?
(cheaper to buy early?, cheaper to buy last minute?, the more times you check, the more prices go up?.......).

I am monitoring some flights I might want to upgrade and everytime I check, the prices have gone up.
The flights I am monitoring started at 37-42 , now I am seeing prices from 46-54 (fx 53 to Stuttgart, 51 to Berlin).
Some of the flights are soon but some are much later in the year.

The upgraded flights I have already flown, I paid 32-39 for.

In my limited experience, I think that I have noticed the cheapest prices if you request the upgrade immediately after booking your flight.
I have four flights I paid only 36-37 for when requesting an upgrade straight after booking the flights (one of them booked only a week ago).
But maybe this is only coincidence....
I just requested a upgrade to plus via OT.

Arlanda -> Palma Mallorca on the 8th of August. 33 was my quote FWIW ^
Old Jun 3, 2015, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by MrCharming
I just requested a upgrade to plus via OT.

Arlanda -> Palma Mallorca on the 8th of August. 33 was my quote FWIW ^
Very nice price.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 1:48 am

Indeed... even more since I was offered GOT-ARN at 27€

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.