Christmas Day Restaurant Recommendation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2008, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion

I wonder if I might kindly request some help from locals about Christmas day resturant recommendations?

My spouse (I suppose post prop 8 I have to say partner) and I will be spending some time in SF over the holiday period and we would like to find a nice quiet restaurant for lunch on Christmas. Criteria

- I won't say expense is no object but well it is Christmas
- Western cuisine
- Quiet (no offence to families but preferably without young children runinng about the place)
- Nice view would be good (we have been to the Cornelian room in the past)
- not excessively romantic (we've been together too long!)
- somewhere accesible by cab or public transport from downtown.

All suggestions very gratefully received and happy holidays to all.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 10:30 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
in SF you get good view, good food but not both :)

Kind of exaggeration..

One of my favorite places for a fancy lunch/brunch is the Top of the Mark Buffet - on Xmas it;s $95/person but IMHO , well worth it.
http://www.topofthemark.com/special_event.html

My other favorite, Scala's , doesn't have availability on Xmas.

A lot of my faves are not downtown or closed on Xmas, so checking opentable, I see not many places downtown have any availability for Xmas day. XYZ, at the W Hotel, his available but it's just a glorified bar with good food, not much ambiance at all.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 6:02 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had forgotten the buffets! The Sheraton Palace is also doing an Xmas buffet with two seatings at 11 am and 3pm for $98 plus tax and tip. It's $8 cheaper if you sit in the Grand Ballroom instead of the Palm Court, but DEFINITELY do not save that $8, the Palm Court is the most spectacular dining room in the city. Advance reservations mandatory.

This is a great experience and also well worth it. There will be plenty of kids but in this room but they never seem intrusive.

The Palm Court was the setting for the finale of the Michael Douglas film, "The Game," if you want a view of the place, only there is a Christmas tree in the center now instead of a large air mattress!

Edited to add: Just went to one of the pre-Xmas buffets. The food was of high quality -- yes, it's still a buffet (with some cook-to-order or make-to-order sections) but I thought it was quite acceptable overall.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Dec 16, 2008 at 12:37 pm
Old Dec 15, 2008, 3:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Thanks bth - the point about views or food but not both is why I am a bit leery about the Carnelian room based on recent experience. The Top of the mark is an excellent idea and thanks for that. Any other suggestions gratefully received. I'll report on the final decision and how it went.

Thanks again.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 2:09 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
I will be going to the TOTM for my b-day this Sunday

I will try and write a brief report...
Old Dec 16, 2008, 6:06 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, Avis PC, Global Entry
Should I create a separate Christmas Eve recommendation request thread? My family and I are also looking for restaurant recommendations and I'm unsure whether or not that opens up more possibilities or fewer.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 12:44 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe do it here and squeakr will be kind enough to so indicate in the headline.

The Palace is doing an Xmas eve buffet too I think, apparently the whole business is a big money maker for them.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 2:32 am
Original Poster

Fine by me - in any event would appreociate any thoughts people have for Xmas eve.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 9:45 am

Programs: UA, VX, AA
You might try Aqua, which is excellent seafood. For a good steakhouse, there is Harris on Van Ness. If you like good Italian in a nice North Beach location, I would recommend Trattoria Contadina. An easy cab ride from downtown would be Le Charm on 5th. A problem you may encounter now is finding a reservation at any of the better restaurants for Christmas Eve. Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.