Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

visiting in-laws in piedmont over christmas...where should we stay?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2007, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.

due to a skunk attack on the house and resulting 2am rude awakening last time we were there for the holidays, we no longer stay with hubby's parents (a few days of stench for a fine outcome ). we've tried the radisson clubsport in walnut creek, which i usually get on priceline, and it's perfectly okay--i love the yoga classes--but mr kk wasn't thrilled with the service we received last time. (perhaps it was because we smelled like skunk!)

that said, we'll go back unless someone has a better suggestion. the claremont in berkely looks nice, but we don't really want to spend that much. (best i could find was $189++ plus a $24 daily resort fee...) are there deals to be had? is there something else there i'm missing? i don't know the area, so am hoping i'm missing a gem.

nicer hotels all seem to be closer to sfo, and we'll be going to piedmont daily for holiday festivities, so distance and traffic are an issue.

thanks in advance!
Old Sep 6, 2007, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
There isn't much in the decent lodging department. The Claremont from most accounts isn't even that great, and is expensive. You could stay in downtown Oakland at the Marriott or the Courtyard, but during off hours, there's nothing open, and not great walking during the nighttime. You could also stay in Emeryville (HGI, Four Points, Courtyard, and a couple of others) which would probably be my first choice for convenience. You have a small mall with theaters, a strip mall with Trader Joes, and a handful of restaurants, and free parking at your hotel.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 9:49 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
The Waterfront Plaza Hotel on the water (how appropriate) at Jack London Square could be an option... I've not stayed there, but friends have and seemed pleased. http://www.waterfrontplaza.com/
Old Sep 6, 2007, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Originally Posted by karenkay
we'll be going to piedmont daily for holiday festivities, so distance and traffic are an issue
In this situation, I'd stay at the Claremont resort--five to ten minutes to nearly all spots in Piedmont. It wouldn't be worth it to me to drive all over Oak town just to save a few bucks a night.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 10:26 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
several nice B and B's in Oakland - if that's your thing

http://www.bbonline.com/ca/berkeley-...d/region5.html

of these I know the Redwood House, which is very nice as an upscale homestay type B+B

I also can vouch for the Rose Garden inn on Lower Telegraph in Berkeley - maybe a bit farther than you'd like but very nice accomodations - we used to put visiting faculty there for seminars etc.
http://www.rosegardeninn.com/
Old Sep 7, 2007, 11:27 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA 0.7MM
Lafayette Park Hotel & Spa
Old Sep 7, 2007, 11:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by sithjedi333
Lafayette Park Hotel & Spa
That'd be worth it only if it's substantially cheaper than the Claremont. You can't beat the Claremont's proximity to Piedmont. BTW, I'm a member of the Club at the Claremont, so if you post or PM your dates, I could check on the member "guest" rates.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dhuey
That'd be worth it only if it's substantially cheaper than the Claremont. You can't beat the Claremont's proximity to Piedmont. BTW, I'm a member of the Club at the Claremont, so if you post or PM your dates, I could check on the member "guest" rates.
I have a $400 spa certificate for there - just looking to set aside an afternoon where I can relax
Old Sep 7, 2007, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I have a $400 spa certificate for there - just looking to set aside an afternoon where I can relax
$400 -- are you serious? That's way too much spa for my tastes. I had a two-hour massage once, which was about 75 minutes longer than I really wanted.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

$400 -- are you serious? That's way too much spa for my tastes. I had a two-hour massage once, which was about 75 minutes longer than I really wanted.
Yes, I'm serious. An 80 minute massage gives the therapist enough time to work on a few bad back spots and generally other areas, and then I figure I'd have some other sort of treatment - there is a whole book of possibilities. It was a gift. I suppose I could also split it into 2 visits.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
thanks for the kind offer, we're planning to be there dec 22-27...i'd be curious to see what kind of rates you get for that! i think our rates (via priceline, granted) around christmas hovered around the $100 mark for the clubsport, plus parking...of course, not having to drive out to walnut creek has its benefits as well.

side note--a two hour massage can be a glorious thing! ^
Old Sep 8, 2007, 7:13 pm

...I suppose I could also split it into 2 visits.
That's what I'd do -- if not four visits.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 7:38 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Well, for my tastes I'd split it into at least 48 visits. That's way time enough

There's a Doubletree in Emeryville that gets mixed reviews.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Well, for my tastes I'd split it into at least 48 visits. That's way time enough

There's a Doubletree in Emeryville that gets mixed reviews.
There is? There's one in the Berkeley Marina. No one seems to love it.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 7:55 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
There is? There's one in the Berkeley Marina. No one seems to love it.
My bad. I meant Berkeley. It was the thought of all that massaging that addled me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.