Reload this Page >

Consolidated "What to do during layover/stopover at SFO" thread

Old Aug 27, 2016, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
SFO/OAK/SJC Bay Area Happy Hour Thread

Plane Spotting

At SFO:
  • The new SFO outdoor observation deck is located at the far end of the G side (United/Star Alliance) of the airport's international terminal. It will be open daily from 7:00 am until 11:30 pm as of Wednesday, 6 Feb 2019. Only passengers using Terminal 3 (United) and the International G-side will have access to it...The 2,997 square foot, roofless deck, offers expansive 180+ degree views of the ramp and runways on the north side of the airport and beyond. Link to full article and slideshow from sfgate.
  • (TEMPORARILY CLOSED DUE TO COVID) the SFO Sky Terrace is landside (pre-security) in Terminal 2: "... open to the general public seven days a week from 7:00 a.m. 10:00 p.m. There is no cost to enter and you dont need a ticket or boarding pass. Visitors will undergo a security check. Food and beverages are allowed but smoking is not permitted."
Outside SFO:
  • Assuming typical "West Plan" operations, Coyote Point Recreation Area (https://goo.gl/maps/DAUZv7A9bFS2) is an excellent location. There are a few overlooks on the trails by the water, depending what angle you want. Vehicular access is via Coyote Point Dr and costs $6 per vehicle.
  • For free alternatives consider parking at Ryder Park (https://goo.gl/maps/h48Dk8PhNGk) or Seal Point Park just down the street. There is a flat paved path between here and Coyote Point, although there are overhead power lines along the shore. (Coyote Point and Seal Point parks have unobstructed views however)
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "What to do during layover/stopover at SFO" thread

Old Jul 22, 2010, 6:27 pm

geraldtancw do you have any status?
Old Jul 22, 2010, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by gomike
Why?
Old Jul 22, 2010, 6:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Even with *G, he wouldn't have RCC access on his itinerary.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA1K, 1MM,AA Exec. Platinum, Global Entry, Nexus
take bart into the city

Why rest, take bart into the city and see the city. you can always rest on the plane.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
I'll be in a similar situation at SFO with a 6 hour layover. Catch is that I'm also on crutches so can't really do much walking. Do any of the nearby hotels offer day rates?
Old Jul 23, 2010, 12:12 am

Yes I'm single

Actually not many people know this but a regular Diners' Club charge card gives access to quite a few lounges around the world (some of the ones used by Priority Pass and shared by multiple airlines).
Old Jul 23, 2010, 12:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, 2.3MM; AA ExecPlat 1.2MM
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR

Another option... you appear to be on the last nonstop of the day to HNL. UA has another nonstop (on most days anyway) leaving at ~4:20pm. You could pay $50 and go standby on the earlier flight.. if you do just be sure you tell the agent at checkin you're doing standby so they can correctly tag your bag.
^+1

Depending on the speed of BA checked luggage delivery (no experience here), this should be eminently do-able. Five extra hours in paradise is worth a little stress spent hustling to the earlier flight (and 5 hrs in Oahu is slightly better than mass transit to and back from In-N-Out ).

The reason I think you can do this is that non-US immigration lines shouldn't be too busy at 2:30 and security lines to get back into airside should be reasonable at 3 pm. It will be a wee hike from intl arrival to the high-80 domestic UA gates but you'll need the walk by then anyway and compared to transiting LHR it's not far at all.

If you have OneWorld status you can use the AA premium line once in T3 domestic (contiguous security space with UA) but the extra 5 min walk to get there from Intl terminal might offset the shorter wait in queue.

Last edited by 130 fsw; Jul 23, 2010 at 12:26 am Reason: clarity
Old Jul 23, 2010, 1:10 am

Programs: AA ExP
Originally Posted by malgudi
Crap in the air?? Not sure I would call fog that ... unlike smog!
Over the bay it's water vapor that obscures the view, but towards the city it's all over land and it's more likely be pollution from SSF, Brisbane, and SF light factories (at least when it's not foggy ).

Originally Posted by DimSum
My memory is a little hazy, but isn't there also a reasonably-sized mall adjacent to the Millbrae BART station?
There's a small strip mall with a couple of grocery stores and 3-4 restaurants. To the north a few blocks is "downtown" millbrae and there's a bunch more restaurants. Though I'm not sure that I'd really head down there for a few hours.

I'd say it's SFO or maybe Tanforan (if you really need to pick up something).
Old Sep 21, 2010, 3:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Gold, Virgin Silver
where to eat pre-security at SFO?

my buddy is flying jetblue, i'm getting off a United flight. Where do I meet him for dinner before security?

Or do I change terminals to meet him inside Jetblue? no checked bags

Ben
Old Oct 2, 2010, 7:12 am

Programs: AA PLAT
I have a 6 hour layover at SFO the first weekend on November. I arrive Saturday at 5:00p and depart at 11p.

I intend to get the BART to Emarbadero. My plan at the moment is...

17:00 Arrive SFO
17:15
17:30 BART SFO - Emarbadero
17:45
18:00 Arrive Embaradero

18:00 - 21:15 ????

21:15 Depart Powell / Civil Center - other suggestions based on where I may be?
21:30
21:45 Arrive back at SFO
22:00
22:15
22:30 Board flight
22:45
23:00 Depart SFO

I work out that I'll have around 3 hours free around San Fran. This will be my first time going into the city. Any suggestions of 'must-see' attractions would be appreciated (China Town, Fisherman's Wharf, Cable Carts etc). I'd like to see the Golden Gate Bridge. Will it be too dark after 6? Or is it too much out of the way?

Looking forward to any suggestions / opinions.

Thanks.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by captain_starwood
my buddy is flying jetblue, i'm getting off a United flight. Where do I meet him for dinner before security?

Or do I change terminals to meet him inside Jetblue? no checked bags

Ben
Sorry I didn't see this before - there are quite a few good places to eat in the International Terminal outside of security. That's the Jetblue terminal, so I would just head over there and pick something.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by paulmcgrath
I have a 6 hour layover at SFO the first weekend on November. I arrive Saturday at 5:00p and depart at 11p.

I intend to get the BART to Emarbadero. My plan at the moment is...

17:00 Arrive SFO
17:15
17:30 BART SFO - Emarbadero
17:45
18:00 Arrive Embaradero

18:00 - 21:15 ????

21:15 Depart Powell / Civil Center - other suggestions based on where I may be?
21:30
21:45 Arrive back at SFO
22:00
22:15
22:30 Board flight
22:45
23:00 Depart SFO

I work out that I'll have around 3 hours free around San Fran. This will be my first time going into the city. Any suggestions of 'must-see' attractions would be appreciated (China Town, Fisherman's Wharf, Cable Carts etc). I'd like to see the Golden Gate Bridge. Will it be too dark after 6? Or is it too much out of the way?

Looking forward to any suggestions / opinions.

Thanks.
The GG bridge is pretty out of the way for what you are planning on doing. You would need more time (or a car).

In terms of what to see, it really depends on what you like. If you like Times Square in NYC then you might like Fisherman's Wharf. Otherwise, skip it and go have a nice dinner somewhere. Dinner at the Slanted Door (or Taylor's Refresher) in the Ferry Building (Embarcadero Station), then a cable car ride up California Street to Grant, walk through Chinatown a bit and then walk down Grant, through Union Square and on to Powell St. Bart station for the trip back to SFO. Or you could just go for a nice dinner at one of the many great places in the Mission.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 7:27 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Has Taylor's Refresher had a name change? I went by it a few weeks ago and recall it had been rebranded to something different.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tom911
Has Taylor's Refresher had a name change? I went by it a few weeks ago and recall it had been rebranded to something different.
That's right - I completely forgot. It's Gott's Roadside now.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA PLAT
Thanks for the tips on places to eat. I'm in SFO this weekend - hope to have a nice 3 hours in the city. I'll report back on how it went...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.