Reload this Page >

Consolidated "What to do during layover/stopover at SFO" thread

Old Aug 27, 2016, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
SFO/OAK/SJC Bay Area Happy Hour Thread

Plane Spotting

At SFO:
  • The new SFO outdoor observation deck is located at the far end of the G side (United/Star Alliance) of the airport's international terminal. It will be open daily from 7:00 am until 11:30 pm as of Wednesday, 6 Feb 2019. Only passengers using Terminal 3 (United) and the International G-side will have access to it...The 2,997 square foot, roofless deck, offers expansive 180+ degree views of the ramp and runways on the north side of the airport and beyond. Link to full article and slideshow from sfgate.
  • (TEMPORARILY CLOSED DUE TO COVID) the SFO Sky Terrace is landside (pre-security) in Terminal 2: "... open to the general public seven days a week from 7:00 a.m. 10:00 p.m. There is no cost to enter and you dont need a ticket or boarding pass. Visitors will undergo a security check. Food and beverages are allowed but smoking is not permitted."
Outside SFO:
  • Assuming typical "West Plan" operations, Coyote Point Recreation Area (https://goo.gl/maps/DAUZv7A9bFS2) is an excellent location. There are a few overlooks on the trails by the water, depending what angle you want. Vehicular access is via Coyote Point Dr and costs $6 per vehicle.
  • For free alternatives consider parking at Ryder Park (https://goo.gl/maps/h48Dk8PhNGk) or Seal Point Park just down the street. There is a flat paved path between here and Coyote Point, although there are overhead power lines along the shore. (Coyote Point and Seal Point parks have unobstructed views however)
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "What to do during layover/stopover at SFO" thread

Old Jul 22, 2010, 8:10 am

Wow, you guys figured out where I was going!

I arrive at the International Terminal at 2:25pm and will be flying off at 7:14pm. (Now I'm sure you could figure out my flight number as well.)

I assume I need to clear immigration at the International Terminal. They tend not to like me. So I'm not sure if this gives me time to go into the city? (I will stop by a day on the way back to see some friends in Berkeley.)

If I do not use the RCC, where is a good place to rest?

I was last in San Fransisco almost 10 years ago!
Old Jul 22, 2010, 8:11 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
The departure areas in the international terminal are often very quiet. Once you clear security into the United domestic terminal, follow the signs to the international terminal and walk around. (Or, I suppose you could just go upstairs after clearing customs and clear security in the international terminal itself, but if the TSA gives you grief for being in the wrong terminal, just clear in terminal 3.)

Depending on the time of day, you'll see a number of gates with no planes, and it should be pretty quiet. In general, the design of SFO's international terminal promotes a quiet, almost serene atmosphere, because the gate waiting areas are on a different floor from the main corridor. This design causes the noise from hundreds of people and dozens of PA announcements to be contained to individual, isolated areas instead of spreading and combining into the awful cacophony that assaults the ears in most airport terminals.

Edited to add: well, if you have 5 whole hours, and you aren't absolutely smashed from the long flight, you might want to seriously consider the advice to take BART to the Embarcadero or downtown SF, and just stroll around. SF is beautiful!
Old Jul 22, 2010, 8:17 am

Programs: UA S/AGR S+/MR G/SW CP/AA Plat
Also, if you want a nice sit down dinner (or lunch) the Yankee Pier at the beginning of the United terminal near gate 72 is great place to spend some time.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
The op does not have to get a rcc pass. He can also get a pass for another lounge, though UA may offer the best choice.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 8:36 am

Agree with the BART-to-SF recommendation. You can take the AirTrain direct from the terminals to the SFO BART Station.

Also, regarding the RCC thread, IMO the RCC in the international terminal is FAR better than the one in Terminal 3. These terminals are connected plane-side of the security checkpoints, just turn left after security in Terminal 3. Disclaimer: I don't know if the RCC in the International Terminal functions differently than the domestic one as far as day-passes, etc.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 8:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by elitelite
I don't know if you can shuttle between them........with the day pass.
Its not a day pass, its a one time pass. Once used it goes poof, even if you leave the club to get a bite, you actually may need another to get back in (provided the matron doesn't remember you... or becomes a dragon).

Now to the OP:

If you feel like a shower after the 10 hours in Y, go to Freshen up! in the intl terminal. Here is a review with pictures: http://www.travbuddy.com/Freshen-Up-v373177
Old Jul 22, 2010, 8:50 am

I really appreciate all your thoughts.

Just one more thing: I am arriving from London into SFO, international terminal. Do I need to clear immigration in SFO international terminal (as opposed to another terminal or my ultimate destination HNL?)

If I clear immigration in SFO international terminal, I need to get back into terminal 3 to catch a United flight to Hawaii. Does it mean I have to go through the security screenings all over again?

Many thanks
Gerald
Old Jul 22, 2010, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by geraldtancw

Just one more thing: I am arriving from London into SFO, international terminal. Do I need to clear immigration in SFO international terminal (as opposed to another terminal or my ultimate destination HNL?)

If I clear immigration in SFO international terminal, I need to get back into terminal 3 to catch a United flight to Hawaii. Does it mean I have to go through the security screenings all over again?

Many thanks
Gerald
Everyone entering the US has to clear customs at their first point of arrival. Yes, you clear at the SFO international terminal. Then you exit the immigration area, turn left, and have the choice of going up the escalator back to the international terminal or right to the UA domestic terminal. Either way, you must reclear security. But once you do that, you can roam between the airside of both terminals without exiting security.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by geraldtancw

Many thanks
Gerald
You always need to reclaim bags, recheck them, and reclear security when transiting the US from an int'l location.

As for getting into the RCC, why not post in the RCC meetings thread your requested date and see if someone will guest you in?
Old Jul 22, 2010, 9:33 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
If you want to take a shower after your long flight there is a place called Freshen Up at SFO.

From flysfo.com:

"Shower facilities are available at Freshen Up! located on the Departures/Ticketing Level of the International Terminal, near the entrance to Gates G91-G102. Freshen Up! is open daily from 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. For additional information call 650.877.0798."

If you're not tired I would also recommend hopping on BART downtown. The ride is only about 30 mins or so and the trains run every 15 mins. If you like shopping get off at Powell and there's tons of it. Plenty of other things you can see in the 2-3 hours you'll have to spend down there.

But it'll be getting late London time around then and you might be tired. If so, for that long of a layover I'd pay the $35 to use the UA RCC. The pass is only good for one RCC so you won't be able to hop between them... your Hawaii flight will leave from the domestic terminal but I'd probably choose the interntional RCC to lounge in for the day. Unfortunately there are no beds or places to lay down.

Another option... you appear to be on the last nonstop of the day to HNL. UA has another nonstop (on most days anyway) leaving at ~4:20pm. You could pay $50 and go standby on the earlier flight.. if you do just be sure you tell the agent at checkin you're doing standby so they can correctly tag your bag.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 9:35 am

Don't go into the city. First, it will cost you about $16 round trip on BART, since they've decided that they can rip off airport passengers. Second, the trip to the city will just be stressful on very noisy and dirty trains. But most importantly, you won't have enough time to really enjoy yourself - maybe 2 hours? That's not quite enough.

Have you been to In-n-Out (local West Coast burger chain) before? If not, that could be a fun little trip. It's quite close to the airport, and you can either take the Airtrain and walk a little bit to get to it or you can take a taxi (probably for around $16 round trip, too!).

Then you just have another hour to kill at the airport, which isn't bad - especially since you will be in HI soon enough!
Old Jul 22, 2010, 9:50 am

Appreciate all the suggestions - you're all such a lovely friendly bunch!
Old Jul 22, 2010, 9:53 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by DimSum
Agree with the BART-to-SF recommendation. You can take the AirTrain direct from the terminals to the SFO BART Station.
OP is arriving at the international terminal, which is where the BART station is. So, no need to take the AirTrain.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 9:53 am

Programs: UA G
You can also BART it to the In-n-Out in Millbrae. It's $4 each way by BART and it drops you off across the street.

There's also a quiet "reflection room" (or whatever) in the International terminal by the BART entrance.

The RCC is never worth paying for.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 10:12 am

Programs: Nothing worth mentioning
Yes, it is my home airport but I actually like SFO, both International & Domestic terminals are very nice: Not too huge, relatively new, some decent shops & quite clean. However, having a quiet lounge to park oneself on a long layover has it's advantages too.

Here is the link for asking for guest-help at UA RCC: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ar-2010-a.html

RCC's at SFO are worthwhile if you have been flying coach & want a quiet place to relax, play on the internet, have a snack & free non-alcoholic beverages (alcohol is served but it ain't free). If you do not get in as a guest, then paying $39 for one-time-use pass is not a bad way to spend a few hours in-between flights.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.