Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 27, 2016, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
SFO/OAK/SJC Bay Area Happy Hour Thread

Plane Spotting

At SFO:
  • The new SFO outdoor observation deck “is located at the far end of the G side (United/Star Alliance) of the airport's international terminal. It will be open daily from 7:00 am until 11:30 pm “as of Wednesday, 6 Feb 2019. “Only passengers using Terminal 3 (United) and the International G-side will have access to it...The 2,997 square foot, roofless deck, offers expansive 180+ degree views of the ramp and runways on the north side of the airport and beyond.” Link to full article and slideshow from sfgate.
  • (TEMPORARILY CLOSED DUE TO COVID) the SFO Sky Terrace is landside (pre-security) in Terminal 2: "... open to the general public seven days a week from 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. There is no cost to enter and you don’t need a ticket or boarding pass. Visitors will undergo a security check. Food and beverages are allowed but smoking is not permitted."
Outside SFO:
  • Assuming typical "West Plan" operations, Coyote Point Recreation Area (https://goo.gl/maps/DAUZv7A9bFS2) is an excellent location. There are a few overlooks on the trails by the water, depending what angle you want. Vehicular access is via Coyote Point Dr and costs $6 per vehicle.
  • For free alternatives consider parking at Ryder Park (https://goo.gl/maps/h48Dk8PhNGk) or Seal Point Park just down the street. There is a flat paved path between here and Coyote Point, although there are overhead power lines along the shore. (Coyote Point and Seal Point parks have unobstructed views however)
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "What to do during layover/stopover at SFO" thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2007, 6:33 am

Unfortunately I probably can't use priceline as European (Switzerland)
Old Aug 9, 2007, 8:40 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Moving this to the San Francisco Forum...

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
United Mileage Plus Forum
Old Aug 9, 2007, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by das
Definitely use Priceline. I've gotten the Hyatt SFO for $50 and the Doubletree has also come up before.
Quite right. ^

We got the Doubletree for $47 in April. Free shuttle to and from the airport. BiddingForTravel will give you a good idea what it might take to get a bid accepted.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MichaelCH
Why not?
Old Aug 9, 2007, 9:29 am

Programs: UA1K;AAEXP;BAG

Should be working if you make your swiss home adress look like an US one,
- meaning a ZIP code with 5-digits instead only 4 in Switzerland
- choose any US-State as you like, unfortunately no CH available (DE works well for Germany)
- enter phone number in XXX-XXX-XXXX format

I use Priceline quite often, never had any problems and dont have an US-Adress or US based CC.

good luck

starbucks
Old Aug 9, 2007, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
BE CAREFUL that the hotel you choose has a shuttle running early enough. Stupid me booked a good park-n-fly rate at the HGI SFO North, and had to pay nearly $20 for a taxi from South SF to get to the airport early enough for a 6am flight w/checked luggage. I'd expect the Westin and Hyatt to have 24 hour service, but you better check.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 10:38 am

Programs: UA GS
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

I would recommend the Westin. It is really nice and you can walk to a in-n-out burger and a small mart. If you use one of the airport accomodation forms you can get it for as low as $79.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 3:40 pm

I thought about doing this with the zip code but doesn't this cause any trouble?
And how exactly does this priceline work, can I just suggest 50$ for a night in the hilton that night and when do they accept or decline this?
Old Aug 10, 2007, 6:06 am

Is there any restaurant or starbucks open all night with wireless internet?
Old Aug 13, 2007, 6:02 am

Sorry have to push this again since I'm leaving in a few days and don't know if I need to book a hotel or not. As far as I've seen, the last coffe shop closes at 1am. Is there wireless internet in the airport? And I've never been at an airport during the night: Do they close the airport or can I stay inside?
Old Aug 13, 2007, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry have to push this again since I'm leaving in a few days and don't know if I need to book a hotel or not. As far as I've seen, the last coffe shop closes at 1am. Is there wireless internet in the airport? And I've never been at an airport during the night: Do they close the airport or can I stay inside?
There is wireless Internet in much of SFO, but it is not free. I don't know if you will be allowed to stay in the airport, but I would never even consider sleeping at SFO (or any airport), even for just a few hours. Airport hotels are cheap and many provide free shuttles. If this were me, I'd get a room at the Westin and get some real sleep.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 12:23 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Agree.

It's T-Mobile at SFO and it's not free.

www.sleepinginairports.com although some reports are rather dated
Old Aug 14, 2007, 4:46 pm

I wouldn't want to sleep at the airport, just stay in the airport and surf a bit the internet, watch dvds etc. I just don't think it's worth to pay about 100 bucks (the cheapest I've found in a decent hotel) for about 3 hours sleep...
Old Jun 26, 2009, 8:05 pm

8 Hour SFO layover - any ideas/tips to see SanFran?

I have an 8hr layover two Mondays from now and would like to see the city. I'll be tired from a connection from Syd and to Phl but would like to catch the Bart from the airport and see a little of San Fran

I read the threads on here but couldn't find the airport guide or a thread that gave ideas for just a layover. Any tips/advice?

I arrive ~1pm and planned on leaving my bag and showering at Freshen Up (sad there's no arrival lounge open) and then catching the Bart into maybe Embarcado and finding my way to Fishean's Wharf or the GG bridge???

Also, Im *G and US Chairman and arriving from an Intl flight and flying First on US to PHL - any way to get lounge access? I have US club comp passes but there's no US club and I bet the passes don't work in contract lounges.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Keep posted regarding BART. Four of their five unions have approved a strike which could begin as early as July 1. They only have to give 72 hrs. notice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.