Reload this Page >

Consolidated "What to do during layover/stopover at SFO" thread

Old Aug 27, 2016, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
SFO/OAK/SJC Bay Area Happy Hour Thread

Plane Spotting

At SFO:
  • The new SFO outdoor observation deck “is located at the far end of the G side (United/Star Alliance) of the airport's international terminal. It will be open daily from 7:00 am until 11:30 pm “as of Wednesday, 6 Feb 2019. “Only passengers using Terminal 3 (United) and the International G-side will have access to it...The 2,997 square foot, roofless deck, offers expansive 180+ degree views of the ramp and runways on the north side of the airport and beyond.” Link to full article and slideshow from sfgate.
  • (TEMPORARILY CLOSED DUE TO COVID) the SFO Sky Terrace is landside (pre-security) in Terminal 2: "... open to the general public seven days a week from 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. There is no cost to enter and you don’t need a ticket or boarding pass. Visitors will undergo a security check. Food and beverages are allowed but smoking is not permitted."
Outside SFO:
  • Assuming typical "West Plan" operations, Coyote Point Recreation Area (https://goo.gl/maps/DAUZv7A9bFS2) is an excellent location. There are a few overlooks on the trails by the water, depending what angle you want. Vehicular access is via Coyote Point Dr and costs $6 per vehicle.
  • For free alternatives consider parking at Ryder Park (https://goo.gl/maps/h48Dk8PhNGk) or Seal Point Park just down the street. There is a flat paved path between here and Coyote Point, although there are overhead power lines along the shore. (Coyote Point and Seal Point parks have unobstructed views however)
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "What to do during layover/stopover at SFO" thread

Old Aug 21, 2017, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by PrePress420
FYI, Half Moon Bay area along HWY 1, and HWY 92 back to SFO, has had a lot of build-up and there is a lot of traffic, so allow for that.
Otherwise, sounds like agood idea.
Yeah, that's what I was wondering about. What's a reasonable amount of time to allow myself to get from Pescadero back to SFO via Hwy 1 up through Pacifica?
Old Aug 28, 2017, 9:09 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
My guess… There's not a great prediction

It kind of depends on the day of the week. Weekend or weekday. Weekends are likely to be busier if it's a nice day, less busy if it's been cloudy.

I say it's hard to predict because we just went down to half Moon Bay this past Saturday. It was a gorgeous day and we assumed we'd hit traffic as we left rather late – we left San Francisco around noon time. However there was no traffic either way and even coming back around 7 PM, when the beaches we're starting to thin out was not a problem.

That may have been just an odd day or there's a window where there's less traffic. I would certainly leave a couple of hours and as I am very paranoid about driving times more like three.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by squeakr
It kind of depends on the day of the week. Weekend or weekday. Weekends are likely to be busier if it's a nice day, less busy if it's been cloudy.

I say it's hard to predict because we just went down to half Moon Bay this past Saturday. It was a gorgeous day and we assumed we'd hit traffic as we left rather late – we left San Francisco around noon time. However there was no traffic either way and even coming back around 7 PM, when the beaches we're starting to thin out was not a problem.

That may have been just an odd day or there's a window where there's less traffic. I would certainly leave a couple of hours and as I am very paranoid about driving times more like three.
Yeah, the fact that I'd be stuck with only one route back to SFO has me a bit worried compared with going into the city.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by txflyer77
Yeah, the fact that I'd be stuck with only one route back to SFO has me a bit worried compared with going into the city.
Update: went with my plan, worked out great.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29090297-post7.html
Old Feb 7, 2019, 9:07 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
NEW SFO outdoor observation deck opens 6 Feb 2019

The new SFO outdoor observation deck “is located at the far end of the G side (United/Star Alliance) of the airport's international terminal. It will be open daily from 7:00 am until 11:30 pm “as of Wednesday, 6 Feb 2019. “Only passengers using Terminal 3 (United) and the International G-side will have access to it...The 2,997 square foot, roofless deck, offers expansive 180+ degree views of the ramp and runways on the north side of the airport and beyond.” Link to full article and slideshow from sfgate.

SFO allows passengers ticketed for same day departure to access other terminals than their departure terminal, so I’m not sure other outbound passengers will be restricted from access. Let’s hope someone can update the sfgate information soon.

Added to Wikipost.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 2:05 pm

Programs: Airpoints, HHONORS GOLD VIP, Aclub Gold
6 hour transit - any ideas to pass the time?

Hi,

Im arriving into SFO on NZ at around 11am on a week day. I have 6 hours until I depart on VS to LHR. These are on separate tickets. I have no checked bags apart from a roll on.

I am looking for ideas on how to kill 6 hours. Anything considered, stay in airport, head to town for lunch? Anywhere close by to the airport I should look at? Is there anywhere to leave my carry on bag? City tour from airport?

Thanks in advance
Old Jan 13, 2020, 3:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Hi there, QTFLYER. We have a sticky thread here on this very subject. Keep in mind that you might have a long wait at immigration, so it might be that you have closer to 5 hours, once you've crossed the border.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Hi all

I have a stopover in San Francisco in March next year and I will take the time to go visit a family friend. Arrive 6pm, international. Family friend is in the Mission District. Could get a taxi, but I see I can also take the BART to the station at 16th Street. How easy is it to get a taxi from there? Or is it not the sort of place with lots of taxis you can get one pretty easily? It's about 2/3rds of a mile from the Bart station to their place. It will only be a short visit, I need to be back out at SFO that night for my hotel and an early departure at 6am. Taxi and ride share are the obvious options but are quite expensive - around $60 each way. Makes for an expensive couple hours in the city!
Old Sep 24, 2021, 3:48 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
At the time of day/night they may be Taxis driving by

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Hi all

I have a stopover in San Francisco in March next year and I will take the time to go visit a family friend. Arrive 6pm, international. Family friend is in the Mission District. Could get a taxi, but I see I can also take the BART to the station at 16th Street. How easy is it to get a taxi from there? Or is it not the sort of place with lots of taxis you can get one pretty easily? It's about 2/3rds of a mile from the Bart station to their place. It will only be a short visit, I need to be back out at SFO that night for my hotel and an early departure at 6am. Taxi and ride share are the obvious options but are quite expensive - around $60 each way. Makes for an expensive couple hours in the city!
It's a super busy intersection with lots going on. You might be able to flag a taxi but you could definitely get an Uber or Lyft from there. There's a lot of restaurants nearby so maybe your friend would like to meet you for dinner somewhere?

Last edited by squeakr; Oct 2, 2021 at 8:55 pm
Old Sep 24, 2021, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by squeakr
It's a super busy intersection with lots going on. We might be able to flag a taxi but you could definitely get an Uber or Lyft from there. There's a lot of restaurants nearby so maybe your friend would like to meet you for dinner somewhere?
Thanks!
Old Sep 27, 2021, 1:40 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Arrive 6pm, international. Family friend is in the Mission District. Could get a taxi, but I see I can also take the BART to the station at 16th Street.
I would also agree with the concept of taking BART to that station and then Uber/Lyft (not taxi), with a number of caveats:
  • The area right around that station has always been a favorite spot for unsavory characters to loiter and has only gotten worse during the pandemic. I would not be comfortable carrying any luggage, especially at night.
  • The BART system runs very few trains on weekend evenings, especially Sunday nights. You may be looking at 20+ minute waits in either direction on Sundays, and right now the entire system closes at 9pm on Sundays, so check schedules carefully depending on day of week
  • Might be a good compromise to take BART to 16th (or 24th), meet your friend somewhere nearby for dinner, then take an Uber/Lyft directly back to the airport at the end
Old Sep 27, 2021, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
I would also agree with the concept of taking BART to that station and then Uber/Lyft (not taxi), with a number of caveats:
  • The area right around that station has always been a favorite spot for unsavory characters to loiter and has only gotten worse during the pandemic. I would not be comfortable carrying any luggage, especially at night.
  • The BART system runs very few trains on weekend evenings, especially Sunday nights. You may be looking at 20+ minute waits in either direction on Sundays, and right now the entire system closes at 9pm on Sundays, so check schedules carefully depending on day of week
  • Might be a good compromise to take BART to 16th (or 24th), meet your friend somewhere nearby for dinner, then take an Uber/Lyft directly back to the airport at the end
Thanks!

It's a weeknight - so that's ok. Unfortunately it seems the family friend is now housebound due to mobility issues, so I will need to go see them. I will have luggage so might just have to bite the bullet and pay the $$.

There's also been a suggestion in one of the SF tripadvisor forums to get the BART to Embarcadero and then a taxi from there to the mission district?
Old Sep 27, 2021, 8:09 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Thanks!

It's a weeknight - so that's ok. Unfortunately it seems the family friend is now housebound due to mobility issues, so I will need to go see them. I will have luggage so might just have to bite the bullet and pay the $$.

There's also been a suggestion in one of the SF tripadvisor forums to get the BART to Embarcadero and then a taxi from there to the mission district?
Head for the nearest large hotel when you arrive in the city. The valet staff there will help get you a cab (for a tip, of course).

BTW, my wife and I walked with luggage from the Salesforce building in the Mission district to Chinatown at midnight. We never felt unsafe and the streets are well lit at night in SF.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 4:31 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by dlaue
Head for the nearest large hotel when you arrive in the city. The valet staff there will help get you a cab (for a tip, of course).
This is actually not a terrible idea. The farthest forward exit of the BART station at Embarcadero, on the left side, is directly below the Hyatt Regency at the Embarcadero. You'd walk out of the station half a block to the lobby and there are always taxis waiting at that hotel, in my experience. It has an on-street taxi waiting area that holds roughly 5 taxis.

But I would make sure you map out how much time this will take because there would be a significant amount of backtracking depending on exactly where you are going... you're adding about 10 minutes to the train trip then 10-20 minutes to the taxi ride.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
This is actually not a terrible idea. The farthest forward exit of the BART station at Embarcadero, on the left side, is directly below the Hyatt Regency at the Embarcadero. You'd walk out of the station half a block to the lobby and there are always taxis waiting at that hotel, in my experience. It has an on-street taxi waiting area that holds roughly 5 taxis.

But I would make sure you map out how much time this will take because there would be a significant amount of backtracking depending on exactly where you are going... you're adding about 10 minutes to the train trip then 10-20 minutes to the taxi ride.
Thanks everyone. A few things for me to consider before March. I guess part of it will depend on how early we arrive, and how long immigration takes. If I'm really pressed for time it will have to be a taxi. If I gain an hour with an early arrival and fast immigration I can BART/taxi it

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.