Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 27, 2016, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
SFO/OAK/SJC Bay Area Happy Hour Thread

Plane Spotting

At SFO:
  • The new SFO outdoor observation deck “is located at the far end of the G side (United/Star Alliance) of the airport's international terminal. It will be open daily from 7:00 am until 11:30 pm “as of Wednesday, 6 Feb 2019. “Only passengers using Terminal 3 (United) and the International G-side will have access to it...The 2,997 square foot, roofless deck, offers expansive 180+ degree views of the ramp and runways on the north side of the airport and beyond.” Link to full article and slideshow from sfgate.
  • (TEMPORARILY CLOSED DUE TO COVID) the SFO Sky Terrace is landside (pre-security) in Terminal 2: "... open to the general public seven days a week from 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. There is no cost to enter and you don’t need a ticket or boarding pass. Visitors will undergo a security check. Food and beverages are allowed but smoking is not permitted."
Outside SFO:
  • Assuming typical "West Plan" operations, Coyote Point Recreation Area (https://goo.gl/maps/DAUZv7A9bFS2) is an excellent location. There are a few overlooks on the trails by the water, depending what angle you want. Vehicular access is via Coyote Point Dr and costs $6 per vehicle.
  • For free alternatives consider parking at Ryder Park (https://goo.gl/maps/h48Dk8PhNGk) or Seal Point Park just down the street. There is a flat paved path between here and Coyote Point, although there are overhead power lines along the shore. (Coyote Point and Seal Point parks have unobstructed views however)
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "What to do during layover/stopover at SFO" thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2012, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by jtsaltman82
... i'd skip the whole cable car/fisherman's wharf portion and visit chinatown/north beach instead. bund shanghai is a good restaurant in chinatown if you want to eat there.
Originally Posted by flyer215
Pretty much no local would be caught dead at Pier 39 / Fisherman's Wharf. Generic "tourist" shops & restaurants... you could be anywhere in the world.
I'm a proud non-San Franciscan , so my take will definitely be different than the locals. Same thing here in L.A., I'd rather eat dirt than be seen in front of the Chinese Theater, but for the tourist...

Personally, I think the cable car is a unique experience, and so is the view from the top of Lombard Street across to Coit Tower and all around the city. As an option, you can walk down Lombard toward North Beach and Chinatown, and bypass Fisherman's Wharf altogether.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 4:14 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
For even more suggestions of what's possible in 7 hours in S.F., I'll move this to the Destinations->San Francisco forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator.

p.s. and if you want a good seafood dinner, Tadich Grill at 240 California St., S.F., just about 2-3 blocks from the Embarcadero BART station is a legend/tradition.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by flyinbob

I don't remember if the UA First lounge has showers. I know the arrivals lounge does, but it is closed by then. Maybe you can access another *A lounge. But I'd try to do it if possible.
Of course UA IFL at SFO has showers. The only other *A lounge is SQ, and it is inferior to UA IFL espeically the showers, but the SQ lounge won't open til much later for SQ 1 departs at midnight.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Someone up thread mentioned that it's upwards of an hour from SFO to downtown by cab during rush hour. I've been driving SFO to the 101/80 split during rush hour for six years now, and 45 minutes is the extremely rare very bad day. It's usually 20 minutes, and 30-45 if things are bad. Downtown is a little further, but most good cab drivers will get off the freeway as soon as they hit traffic, and keep the ride to 30 minutes or so. By contrast, Bart is 33 minutes with up to a 20 minute wait between trains, plus time to get to the Bart station (cabs are at every terminal, Bart is at one). A cab is almost always going to be faster than Bart, and is often twice as fast.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by flyinbob
One suggestion though. You might want to get back to SFO in time for a quick shower before your flight. Flying in from Canada, then an afternoon in town, then a 14+ hour flight. You will arrive in SYD a bit stinky.

I don't remember if the UA First lounge has showers. I know the arrivals lounge does, but it is closed by then. Maybe you can access another *A lounge. But I'd try to do it if possible.
Haha yes I plan to shower before heading out! The United website doesn't indicate that there are showers in the United First Lounge, but I find that hard to believe. If worst comes to worst, I can use the Singapore Kris Lounge to shower. What a hardship /sarcasm :P Haha if only United had showers on board like Emirates!
Old Apr 24, 2012, 9:41 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
I've planned a rough timetable for myself, what do you guys think?

1.15pm SFO arrival

1.39 - 2.11 BART to Embarcadero

2 hrs 13 mins to explore

4.25 - 4.58 BART from Embarcadero to SFO

6.20pm SFO depart
Old Apr 24, 2012, 11:43 am

Programs: UA, AA, SW, Marriott, SPG, Hyatt, TYN
Originally Posted by GodAtum
I've planned a rough timetable for myself, what do you guys think?

1.15pm SFO arrival

1.39 - 2.11 BART to Embarcadero

2 hrs 13 mins to explore

4.25 - 4.58 BART from Embarcadero to SFO

6.20pm SFO depart
Several questions and comments:

How are you arriving at SFO-domestic or international? If the latter, you would have to clear customs such that getting to BART will probably take more than the 25 minutes you've indicated. (Keep in mind that BART runs every 15 minutes during the day.)

Regarding your exploring, what kinds of things are you interested in seeing? The Embarcadero is an interesting area, but there might be better destinations in the limited time you have.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 1:30 pm

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
I'm arriving domestically. I was planning to have a late lunch at the Slanted Door and take in the sea views. I could get a latter outward plane (SFO - LAS) to leave me more time to explore.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GodAtum
I'm arriving domestically. I was planning to have a late lunch at the Slanted Door and take in the sea views. I could get a latter outward plane (SFO - LAS) to leave me more time to explore.
I think your schedule is workable. If it were me, I'd probably take a cab to SF at that time and Bart back, but that's not going to make a huge difference.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA, AA, SW, Marriott, SPG, Hyatt, TYN
Slanted Door is a fine restaurant. Upscale Vietnamese. Lots of shops in the Ferry building where it is located.

If you have time, walk a few blocks south along the Embarcadero for great views of the SF Bay Bridge.

You might also want to stroll along Market Street, one of the main thorough fares in SF, although in this area there are mostly financial buildings. You can catch a return BART to SFO at several places along Market St. not far from Embarcadero.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 1:31 pm

Get your Yoga on at SFO

If your connecting flight is on Virgin America - Go to the Yoga Room in SFO Terminal #2 and get your yogic meditation on~ - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5x7IFjS1aY
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:02 am

Programs: Not much these days: BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, HH Gold
SFO 6 hour layover

We have a long layover at SFO on 19 December, scheduled to arrive from LHR at 1410 and not departing to PSP until 2050 thanks to the cancellation of our original transatlantic flight.

Any ideas how to spend it? Had thought about storing luggage at the airport and heading into SF on the BART for some drinks. We're in F on the transatlantic, so probably won't need much to eat unless there's a great idea in which case we'll skip eating on the flight. Taking a hotel room for a few hours is attractive if we want to sleep but that won't help us with jetlag because it's the wrong time to sleep CA time.

What am I missing? Any other bright ideas? Somehow I don't think the Alaska Airlines Board Room will cut it for six hours...
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Morland
We have a long layover at SFO on 19 December, scheduled to arrive from LHR at 1410 and not departing to PSP until 2050 thanks to the cancellation of our original transatlantic flight.

Any ideas how to spend it? Had thought about storing luggage at the airport and heading into SF on the BART for some drinks. We're in F on the transatlantic, so probably won't need much to eat unless there's a great idea in which case we'll skip eating on the flight. Taking a hotel room for a few hours is attractive if we want to sleep but that won't help us with jetlag because it's the wrong time to sleep CA time.

What am I missing? Any other bright ideas? Somehow I don't think the Alaska Airlines Board Room will cut it for six hours...
See the sticky at the very top of this forum. Bottom line, you should go into SF on your layover.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:24 am

Programs: Not much these days: BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, HH Gold
Gosh I'm so sorry for missing the sticky. Mods, feel free to delete thread.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 3:28 am

Programs: LH Senator, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I will be arriving at SFO with UA this friday morning. However, my ride probably wont be picking me up until 2 hours later. I wonder, is there any place that I can do some plane spotting within the airport?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.