Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

Tight connection T3 to International Terminal at SFO?

Old Sep 22, 2009, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Hi! I'm new to the forum so forgive me for such a silly question. I have a horrid connection of flights returning to Australia from USA as I was able to get a flight using my UA mileage points. I'm just concerned that the connections seem pretty tight. These connections were provided as the only option when I booked online at UA so I assumed they would be okay but now I am questioning. The deal is...it starts JFK (Terminal 7), arriving LAX (Terminal 7) at 7:12pm. I then depart LAX at 8.24pm arriving SFO (Terminal 3) at 9:47pm. I then depart SFO (International Terminal) for SYD at 10.40pm. Am I going to make them or are the connections too tight? I'm flying UA the whole way so not too sure if they check me and my luggage through for the whole flight from JFK or if I have to clear any security checks etc at some point. I welcome your input and thank you in advance!!
Old Sep 22, 2009, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shellycs
Hi! I'm new to the forum so forgive me for such a silly question. I have a horrid connection of flights returning to Australia from USA as I was able to get a flight using my UA mileage points. I'm just concerned that the connections seem pretty tight. These connections were provided as the only option when I booked online at UA so I assumed they would be okay but now I am questioning. The deal is...it starts JFK (Terminal 7), arriving LAX (Terminal 7) at 7:12pm. I then depart LAX at 8.24pm arriving SFO (Terminal 3) at 9:47pm. I then depart SFO (International Terminal) for SYD at 10.40pm. Am I going to make them or are the connections too tight? I'm flying UA the whole way so not too sure if they check me and my luggage through for the whole flight from JFK or if I have to clear any security checks etc at some point. I welcome your input and thank you in advance!!
Welcome to Flyertalk! Since you are on UA all the way, you will not need to reclear security anywhere and these connections should be fine assuming there are no delays.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 11:52 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
As stated above, this should not be a problem.

At LAX, you will most likely arrive and depart via Terminal 7. Even if you arrive at T-6 and depart from T-7 or (unlikely) T-8, they are all connected airside by a short walk.

At SFO, you will arrive at Terminal 3 and UA international departs from the attached International Terminal G. The two are connected by a walkway - all inside security. Just follow the moving walkways to the central hub as if you were departing the terminal. Turn right just past the Information booth and walk to the end of the United domestic gate areas. Just before leaving the secure area, veer right into the "tunnel" to the International Terminal and proceed to your gate. The walk from domestic arrival to international departure is 15 minutes or so.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 11:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
The two are connected by a walkway - all inside security.
Here's a map showing that walkway: http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6867,1121,00.html (next to gate 75)

Welcome to FlyerTalk, shellycs!
Old Sep 24, 2009, 2:08 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!! You have been most helpful for sure!! I hope I can return the favour sometime
Old Sep 24, 2009, 11:00 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
But can she get her int'l boarding pass at the first flight at JFK?

it's been ages since i flew Int'l w/ a connection...
Old Sep 25, 2009, 1:41 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

It's true that you will only have to clear security once, but I must say, there is a decent chance of a misconnect on your itinerary. I fly JFK-SFO and SFO-LAX occasionally, and I have come to expect delays due to JFK and/or SFO and cancellations on SFO-LAX.

It's okay to book whatever flights are available on an award, but I recommend standing by for an earlier flight to LAX and, once at LAX, standing by for the next available flight to SFO. The reason being that if you miss your SFO-SYD flight, you'll lose an entire day getting home.

One thing in your favor is that UA also has a flight from LAX-SYD, so if your LAX or SFO flights appear to be late, UA could rebook you on that. (In fact, I'd probably ask at LAX if you could just take the LAX-SYD flight, anyway.)

If all your flights are on time, however, your connecting times are not a problem.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.