Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

Top 100 Restaurants 2001

Top 100 Restaurants 2001

Old Oct 27, 2001, 12:08 am
Original Poster

Top 100 Restaurants 2001

We are in a golden age of dining. More three-star restaurants opened last year than at any other time in recent memory.

About 20 percent of this year's Top 100 list is different from last year's, but only two restaurants from the 2000 list -- Che and Pintxos -- closed. Narrowing the list to include newcomers was a daunting task, and many excellent places had to be eliminated.

Two trends emerged last year:

Prices have continued to escalate, but at a slower pace. Main courses, for the most part, have gone up a dollar or two. The real tab-buster has been skyrocketing wine prices. At a "moderate" restaurant (entrees $15 to $20), it's hard to find a bottle for less than $30.

Restaurants are becoming even harder to classify. We have more American and California designations than ever. A solid regional cuisine is also emerging, based on French and Italian but incorporating Asian and Latin techniques and ingredients.

In compiling the Top 100 list, we try to include a wide variety of restaurants in all price ranges-- from the French Laundry with its manicured gardens to La Taqueria, where honking traffic sets the scene. The settings are worlds apart, but each restaurant offers the best food in its category.

I've visited all of these restaurants, but reader feedback guides me to overlooked places. Please let me know what you think.

List of restaurants link;
http://www.sfgate.com/eguide/food/restaurants/top100/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.