SFO to Hotel with significant luggage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2017, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors (Gold), One Pass (Peon)

Mrs. DD a I are flying to SFO to start a 38 day cruise. What is the best way to get to the hotel (Hilton, O'Farrell Street) with two large suitcases, two carry ons, and a collapsible walker. I have never used Uber or Lyft but have the apps on my phone. We also can use some info on the best way to get from the Hotel to the Cruise Dock. Also, some idea of the costs of each type and leg.
Is there some site that explains how to use Uber and Lyft? I have looked but haven't found a good explanation.

DD
Old Sep 16, 2017, 8:44 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Do you use apps very often at all?

Do you use apps very often at all? The rundown for Uber and Lyft is very similar. You click on one of them, and to your destination (either of them should know the Hilton O'Farrell Street as a destination) and choose how you want to get there. If there's no surge (when it's very very busy and not enough drivers) charger should be somewhere between 35 and $50 on either of them. That's for regulars Lyft and what's called UberX – people in private cars. Uber black car is more like a limo and would run $75-$85.

If either of you has mobility problems – thinking about the walker – you might want to just get a cab. It's about $40-$50 and a plain old taxi and there's a taxi line at every terminal.

To get to the cruise terminal I'd just have a hotel order you a cab.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Taxi. I use lyft and uber all over SF and other cities. But at SFO I only use taxis. I get my checked bags and walk to the taxi stand. I've asked the taxi manager for big taxis when needed and I would also ask for specific hotel help if desired. I've definitely asked for taxis that take credit cards as well.

And agree for asking hotel to assist from hotel to cruise via a big taxi.

Also if you don't use uber or lyft much, then I suggest you start using it at home for awhile as opposed to start using it while on vacation. It's totally ok if you never use uber or lyft. Enough other people use them so that you can use taxis instead.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Uber has a fare estimator on its website so you can get an idea of fares
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:59 am

Honestly I say skip Uber if you have never used it, and I am still over taxis. Save yourself the hassel and just book a car service.

https://www.execucar.com/locations/s...o-car-service/

Thats an example, not a recommendation

The car service will meert you. Its fixed fee. It will have room for your luggage. The driver will help load you. No line standing.
bigguyinpasadena likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Using Uber to get from SFO has always been exceedingly convenient. If you have bags, I would just make sure to order an uberXL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.