Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

When to Visit San Francisco - Planning for tourist.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When to Visit San Francisco - Planning for tourist.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2017, 10:22 am

Programs: HH Gold, CC Gold
Last weekend in Jun is SF Pride parade/festival is another big event in the city that will effect hotel/Airbnb availability.

I think most natives know this site: http://sf.funcheap.com/

For Fort Point - which is part of the Presidio - there's a shuttle that's free outside commute hours - http://www.presidio.gov/transportati...wntown-shuttle. You can see Alcatraz from Chrissy Field on a clear day if you want to be really cheap.

At the Ferry building is a farmer's market - every tues, thus & sat. The bay bridge is really close by.

Check to see if there's a free day at a museum - some are not tied to having a certain card - http://freemuseumday.org/sf.html

Also some of the expensive museums have outside/public art/exhibits which are free since its considered public space. I know SFMoMA and the Exploratorium have a couple things. Some office bldgs downtown have public art in their lobbies.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
If you want a scenic boat ride, you can take a ride on the ferry. Same party of 4, <$20.
Also, the Bridge to Bridge cruise (Red and White Fleet) frequently has Goldstar and Groupon offers and is a great ride.

I don't know where you're getting your ferry fares from. The "Same party of 4" without Clipper card payment would be about a $60 RT for Sausalito, Larkspur or Tiburon ferries.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 10:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Also, exactly what makes Alcatraz so important? That Al Capone was there, or the Native American occupation of 1969-1971?
It was the nation's most notorious prison for a time. But long before that, it was an important military installation for the defense of the SF Bay. It's important both for this region's history, and the nation's.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 11:04 am

http://sanfranciscobayferry.com/fares-and-tickets

I didn't mention Sausalito, Larkspur or Tiburon.
Nothing against Jack London Square, but that's not a typical ferry route for tourists. You're right that it's relatively cheap, and it is somewhat scenic. Still, I'd pay the extra bucks and go to Tiburon.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by Koja78
Hotel settled (HI golden gateway... alcatraz booked...
Flight LAX-SFO booked
(just have to check how to get from SFO to hotel late at night with kids)

Other than that.. general plan: the alcatraz day we will spend with other attractions nearby... the other day... around chinatown probably.
Open for suggestions.. especially good low budget ones :-)
(as honestly.. coming from a well of western european country... US prices for attractions are extremely expensive)
Taxi from SFO to hotel - just exit baggage claim and walk to taxi queue. There's always a taxi concierge there so if you need a big taxi, the concierge will radio for one. You can use uber or lyft etc but I always get taxi at SFO for my family and 5 suitcases, and usually I use uber 4-12 times a month in San Francisco including 4 times within past 5 days!

For low-budget suggestions, how about :
walking in golden gate park.
Walking around embarcadero and ferry building
Walking in Japantown (different experience from Chinatown walking)
I've walked and bussed a lot in Bruxelles, and San Francisco is smaller so quite easy for walking.
Whole city is easy for walking but not on same day :-)
Don't walk too much after 5pm
Every neighborhood has sketchy people during day, even the expensive areas. It's the same as any other big global city.

I've lived in San Francisco my whole life and it's not much different than when I was a child aside from growth in technology and construction and population.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 2:26 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Hello everyone

Hello everyonecome along way from helping this family with low-cost attractions. I'll be deleting some post, but keep in mind this is not a forum for fighting about which attraction is better. It's about helping people with questions - especially the budget questions - find the glories of our city and little-known attractions that might not be obvious.

(All that said, I think Alcatraz is a strange attraction. Walking through an old prison especially with young children seems like not a good use of the original posters time or money as she's looking for a low-cost options.)
Squeakr
Moderator San Francisco forum

Last edited by squeakr; Mar 29, 2017 at 8:24 am Reason: Added info
Old Mar 28, 2017, 3:49 am

Programs: Miles&More IHG
@squeakr: possibly true.. but well Alcatraz is a kind of myth.. and everybody saw the movies (escape & the rock). Couldn't talk my wife out of it. It's like going to SFO and not seeing golden gate bridge.
@gaobest: Seriously? Easier to walk around then BXL? Then we won't have a problem. (except for the ups and downs)
Sketchy people.. obviously I don't know about american situations and all stories are overreactions... my experience is that as long as you have a clear idea of where you are going those people leave you alone. Can I state the same about "your" sketchy ppl?

Regarding cabs.. my issue is the strict laws for infants in cars in CA. Really dunno how to handle that with cabs...
Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

@squeakr: possibly true.. but well Alcatraz is a kind of myth.. and everybody saw the movies (escape & the rock). Couldn't talk my wife out of it. It's like going to SFO and not seeing golden gate bridge.
@gaobest: Seriously? Easier to walk around then BXL? Then we won't have a problem. (except for the ups and downs)
Sketchy people.. obviously I don't know about american situations and all stories are overreactions... my experience is that as long as you have a clear idea of where you are going those people leave you alone. Can I state the same about "your" sketchy ppl?

Regarding cabs.. my issue is the strict laws for infants in cars in CA. Really dunno how to handle that with cabs...
Cabs can transport people with babies / infants - think that the adult just holds the baby if you're not using a car seat.

I actually was referring to sketchy people in SF - unfortunately people may approach and interrupt you during your journey so I just ignore them. SF is much smaller than BXL and easier for walking. BXL always felt so huge :-)
Old Mar 28, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: Miles&More IHG
Well it seems that "legally".. " adult just holds the baby" is not allowed. A lot of states exempt cabs from car seat laws but ca does not.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 2:33 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Most of Golden Gate Park is free and beautiful, as is Fort Point.

Alcatraz is a beat-up decommissioned prison and highly overrated, but tastes differ.
Tastes do differ. I consider Alcatraz one of the best tourist attractions in SF. Great for kids too, IMO.

As to the OP, I echo those who say September to mid-November is the best time to visit.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by nnn
Tastes do differ. I consider Alcatraz one of the best tourist attractions in SF. Great for kids too, IMO.
Similarly, Coit Tower is great for some (including me) and ho-hum for others. I think it depends mostly on whether you are interested in the Public Works of Art Project murals. Otherwise, it might seem like just one of many places where you can get a nice view of the city in San Francisco.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 10:03 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
[MENTION=4575]Alcatraz is a kind of myth.. and everybody saw the movies (escape & the rock). Couldn't talk my wife out of it. It's like going to SFO and not seeing golden gate bridge.
You're not the only ones. Although I waited 15 years after moving to the area before visiting Alcatraz, many of my friends coming from thousands of miles away consider it an absolute must-do in SF.

Largely, yes, having situational awareness will keep you out of trouble in SF. But one thing that's different about SF is that the homeless, beggars, and vagrants here are more aggressive than in other US cities. They're more likely to shout at you, approach you, or stand/sit/lie in your way.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
, yes, having situational awareness will keep you out of trouble in SF. But one thing that's different about SF is that the homeless, beggars, and vagrants here are more aggressive than in other US cities. They're more likely to shout at you, approach you, or stand/sit/lie in your way.
Thank you - it's very difficult for me to explain our sketchy citizen situation compared to how it is outside of SF. It's a lot more serious for safety compared to other places. It's also all over SF, even in tourist and wealthy areas.

Did we mention the funcheapsf.com website? There are inexpensive options in SF that I can't even remember or ponder.

All this said, like tourism, I don't think there's a wrong time to travel anywhere as long as one is able to accept the weather.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by dhuey
Cable car fare is $7 per, including kids. There's no getting around how San Francisco is an expensive vacation destination.
But much beter value if you are doing several trips on Muni is a day / 3 day / 7 day pass.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 5:34 am

Originally Posted by dhuey
It's hard to beat September and October. It's our best weather and the crowds tend to be down from the summer travel season.
I agree late September early October is the best time of year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.