Search

Forum too quiet?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2017, 6:32 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco
Original Poster

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Forum too quiet?

A poster on a recent thread on this forum said they thought the forum was too quiet. I tend not to instigate threads, as I don't want to discourage others, especially as I tend to have specific points of view about the area.

I also hope that those posters who are interested in San Francisco will post those questions, concerns, and information. I'm certainly open to folks who would like to post general information – restaurant recs, tourist sites, and other information about the San Francisco Bay area. Fielding questions from tourists is somewhat different than locals sharing opinions and recommendations, and I think this forum has plenty a room for both kinds of threats.

Thanks for listening -

squeakr
Mod SFO
Old Feb 12, 2017, 7:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
There are a bunch of us locals at the ready to help with visitors' questions. Bring 'em on!
Old Feb 13, 2017, 3:14 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco
Original Poster

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
I know you are all so helpful!

I'm inviting you all to suggest activities if you've a mind to - even if tourists haven't asked!

thanks -

squeakr
mod SFO
Old Feb 16, 2017, 7:34 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I'm growing increasingly reluctant to suggest places I like. They've gotten too crowded already.

Also, San Francisco is expensive. Like, stupid expensive. Tourists will find much better value for their money going somewhere else. Omaha, for example. Omaha's a very underrated place. Much cheaper, too.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
I'm growing increasingly reluctant to suggest places I like. They've gotten too crowded already.

Also, San Francisco is expensive. Like, stupid expensive. Tourists will find much better value for their money going somewhere else. Omaha, for example. Omaha's a very underrated place. Much cheaper, too.
I spent a week working in Des Moines. Its not that bad. Des Moines official slogan should be "Not as Bad as you thought".

San Francisco is sill better, because sea lions and Sutro Tower and Karl the Fog, but if tourist need an affordable vacation, Des Moines, not as bad as you thought.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC

I'm going to Omaha in May for the annual Berkshire meeting. I have not spent much time in flyover country (aside from flying across it or driving through it), so it will be interesting to see how well I take to it.

As for San Francisco - love visiting when I get the chance. That said, parking can be a bit insane (I absolutely detest the small signs on each meter telling you when you can/can't park - how are you supposed to read all that while driving?), and the foodies here are absolutely nuts when it comes to waiting in line. 2+ hours for Swan Oyster Depot? I've had better oysters elsewhere, and it's quite overpriced. Either way, I will keep coming back - there's so much to explore, and a long weekend is never enough time.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel

"Value for money" has to be judged in relation to the whole package that is San Francisco/Bay Area. Not just the hotel room or restaurant meals, etc.

I live here in SF, so I have a different perspective than a visitor would. But, for example, when I visit New York, I'm going to visit that city and all it has to offer. It's expensive, yes, but going somewhere else is just not a substitute. Nowhere else is the same!
Old Feb 19, 2017, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM

I see what you did there.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 10:18 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Tourists will find much better value for their money going somewhere else. Omaha, for example. Omaha's a very underrated place. Much cheaper, too.
For everyone's convenience, here is a direct link to the highly informative, top notch Visit Omaha site...

Make sure you check there first. Everything you need to plan your trip.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 4:24 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
For everyone's convenience, here is a direct link to the highly informative, top notch Visit Omaha site...

Make sure you check there first. Everything you need to plan your trip.
Apparently you can visit Bob the Bridge in Omaha. Super amazing suspension bridge that you should go visit. Much better than those bridges in the Bay Area.

(Truth be told, at least their suspension bridge you can walk on. Still waiting for the walking/bike path to be completed on the Bay Bridge...)
Old Feb 26, 2017, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by ryw
Apparently you can visit Bob the Bridge in Omaha. Super amazing suspension bridge that you should go visit. Much better than those bridges in the Bay Area.

(Truth be told, at least their suspension bridge you can walk on. Still waiting for the walking/bike path to be completed on the Bay Bridge...)
We'll be waiting a really long time for the path from the island to SF. Not sure that will ever happen, given the estimated cost of >$500 million.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by dhuey
We'll be waiting a really long time for the path from the island to SF. Not sure that will ever happen, given the estimated cost of >$500 million.
The real issue with a bike/ped path into San Francisco is how high the bridge is above ground when it gets to the city. Whatever they do has to accommodate bikes and people, as well as be ADA compliant. Its really hard to build a ramp 40+ feet in the air, and there is nowhere to build it.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
The real issue with a bike/ped path into San Francisco is how high the bridge is above ground when it gets to the city. Whatever they do has to accommodate bikes and people, as well as be ADA compliant. Its really hard to build a ramp 40+ feet in the air, and there is nowhere to build it.
That's certainly an issue, but even without that problem this would be an enormously expensive project. There's no room for this on the bridge now, so it would be a whole new structure on one side of it. I love riding the path to the island from Oakland, but I have doubts that a path from the island to SF will ever happen. Maybe a little more likely is ferry service from the SW corner of Treasure Island to SF and/or a cycling shuttle bus. It's a pretty long distance to cover, and usually with a headwind going west, so there probably wouldn't be too my bike commuters.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.