Wiki Posts
Search

Recommended driving route from San Jose to Santa Rosa

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2016, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Recommended driving route from San Jose to Santa Rosa

What would be your recommendation for driving from San Jose to Santa Rosa late morning midweek? Would it be up the peninsula, through the city and over the Golden Gate Bridge or up the east bay through Oakland, Berkeley and over the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge, or even further east on 680 to 780, 80, and 37?

Also, I will need to drive the reverse direction again late morning on a midweek day.

Thanks.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Late morning northbound I'd probably drive 880/580 (Richmond Br.) /101. No need to go further east, and 37 is a mess if there are any issues whatsoever (including 1 slow car).

Southbound I'd be inclined to take 101S to GGB then through the park to 19th Ave. Although 19th Ave. can be a mess, you'll end up on 280. My hesitation for the reverse of your outbound is that 80 from the 580 split to the Maze (80/880/580) is now generally an all day congestion affair. Until somewhat recently it would lighten up from about 930 to 2, but those days are gone.

Notwithstanding all of the above, check sigalert before you go.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 2:28 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Late morning weekday, starting at around 10:30 or 11, there are typically almost no slowdowns on 101 northbound. I've done this regularly. To continue north, I've usually found the best route to be straight into SF (van Ness or the end of 101) and then up Franklin. Yes, there is always traffic through SF, but this route is way shorter distance in the city than 19th st, so preferable during non-rush hours.

Going to the east bay would just add significant miles and save no time IMO. I think Eastbay 1K is too east bay friendly! *SMILE*

Unfortunately, I almost never do the southbound route during the late morning so can't comment on that.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Going to the east bay would just add significant miles and save no time IMO. I think Eastbay 1K is too east bay friendly! *SMILE*
According to the Googles, it is less miles to go through the East Bay, which is therefore, less than "add significant miles." As far as I'm concerned, one less car on "my freeway" is a good thing, but since Jerry seems like a decent guy, I'm ok with him using it "just this once."
Old Oct 8, 2016, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Wink

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
According to the Googles, it is less miles to go through the East Bay, which is therefore, less than "add significant miles." As far as I'm concerned, one less car on "my freeway" is a good thing, but since Jerry seems like a decent guy, I'm ok with him using it "just this once."
Decent, indeed. Thanks, all. Will check Sigalert for sure.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Late morning northbound I'd probably drive 880/580 (Richmond Br.) /101. No need to go further east, and 37 is a mess if there are any issues whatsoever (including 1 slow car).

Southbound I'd be inclined to take 101S to GGB then through the park to 19th Ave. Although 19th Ave. can be a mess, you'll end up on 280. My hesitation for the reverse of your outbound is that 80 from the 580 split to the Maze (80/880/580) is now generally an all day congestion affair. Until somewhat recently it would lighten up from about 930 to 2, but those days are gone.

Notwithstanding all of the above, check sigalert before you go.
Thanks for the advice and rationale. I am pretty familiar with your southbound recommendations, as I know the city and the peninsula pretty well. But the East Bay seems to have several other permutations. For example, if I take 880 north out of San Jose,

1) Should I take 238 east over to 580 and take 580 up to the maze?

Or if I stay on 880,

2) Should I take 24 over to 580 to go through the maze?
or
3) Should I just stay on 880 to 80 all the way through the maze?

I guess it partly depends on traffic. For example, today (Sunday) about 1 pm, there seems to be a big accident in Oakland on 880 with a backup almost all the way to Hayward - so cutting over to 580 would be a good idea.

My single engine Mooney 20D from Watsonville to Santa Rosa is looking better and better.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 3:09 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by JerryFF
For example, if I take 880 north out of San Jose,

Or if I stay on 880,

or
All other thing being equal, (2) and (3) are roughly equivalent. Although note that if you choose (2) you are technically taking 880 to 980 to 80 (that stretch isn't called 24 yet). I think (2) is a whisker shorter than (3) but also involves two interchanges/merges so if you aren't familiar with that area then (3) may be simpler.

However...

I guess it partly depends on traffic.
It depends a lot on traffic. Obv. actual conditions when you drive can easily trump any general advice we can give you beforehand Just check Google Maps before you leave, and improvise as necessary. KCBS 740 AM/106.9 FM does traffic every 10 minutes.

My single engine Mooney 20D from Watsonville to Santa Rosa is looking better and better.
I'm not a pilot but I live ~3 miles from KSQL, stop by and say hi
Old Oct 23, 2016, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Thanks again. Just so unfamiliar with the East Bay compared to my experience on the peninsula (or even 680) that I'm trying to fill the knowledge gap as much as possible. It's not a big deal, in that I don't have a plane to catch or a meeting to get to, but I do appreciate the feedback.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Or if I stay on 880,

or
Stay on 880. 238 is just about the dumbest freeway EVAR. And then, not only is this out of your way, but the 580W to 80E connector ramp frequently backs up even in light traffic conditions. Besides, views from the 880 to 80 ramp are very nice.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 7:37 pm

Step 1. Install Waze on your smartphone
Step 2. Do what it says.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 3:37 pm

Avoiding Tolls

You could avoid tolls in both directions by heading northbound on the Golden Gate Bridge and returning southbound via the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.