HELP!! Haven't planned anything

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HELP!! Haven't planned anything

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2015, 10:00 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
I'd also recommend back-up plans in case the weather for the Yosemite/Lake Tahoe portions is really bad. In years ago, when we had normal Bay Area rain (read: Sierra snowfalls), the bad weather in these areas would start right after Thanksgiving, certainly by early December. This is not a picnic for a family with two little ones.

I don't want to be alarmist, but in past years, local search and rescue units have been deployed to rescue car travelers who pushed on despite bad weather. You might run into warm, dry weather and find clear travel into the Sierras. But I'd consider a So. Calif or mid-Coast option as a backup in case our previous mountain snowfalls return.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 1:52 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
I'd go a bit further

If you haven't made reservations for Yosemite already for the holiday, you may find you are not even able to stay in the park or nearby.
Additionally if you're not used to driving in snow conditions, even driving with Chains can be very stressful and if your goal is just been relaxing time with your family, I can't imagine this would be a relaxing experience with two small children in the car.

And as others have mentioned, many car rental companies prevent the use of chains as it will void your contract.

I would keep a close eye on the weather if you decide to make this trip and make sure you won't be driving into blizzard conditions.

The itinerary set out by a prior poster incorporating primarily Monterey, Carmel, and other places with most likely better weather seems like a better bet for this particular trip.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 11:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by squeakr
The itinerary set out by a prior poster incorporating primarily Monterey, Carmel, and other places with most likely better weather seems like a better bet for this particular trip.
I agree. Kayaking in the Elkhorn Slough near Monterey would be a great idea if the OP's little ones are big enough for that. Otters, sea lions and seals galore.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 7:23 pm

During your stay in SFO, take the children to the Exploratorium. I thought it was funkier when out at the Palace of the Arts, but now it's perhaps more tourist accessible.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 10:41 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Where are you coming from? Do you have experience with mountain driving in inclement conditions? Will you have proper clothing for cold weather?

I ask these things because Yosemite is likely to be pretty snowy in December. We got some last week and are expecting more in a storm arriving this week. If the El Nino predictions come true, more would be expected from now through March. I live nearby and still avoid the Park in snowy conditions. I hate putting on chains and don't like paying the opportunists to do it for me. YMMV.

I agree with the suggestions to consider exploring the central coast area further south of Monterey as an alternative to the high mountain parks.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the help.
I'm from Chicago. Clothing won't be an issue but we are not used to mountain driving.

If we skip Yosemite and do Lake Tahoe, will that be better?
How bad is the snow and driving condition at Lake Tahoe in December?

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Where are you coming from? Do you have experience with mountain driving in inclement conditions? Will you have proper clothing for cold weather?

I ask these things because Yosemite is likely to be pretty snowy in December. We got some last week and are expecting more in a storm arriving this week. If the El Nino predictions come true, more would be expected from now through March. I live nearby and still avoid the Park in snowy conditions. I hate putting on chains and don't like paying the opportunists to do it for me. YMMV.

I agree with the suggestions to consider exploring the central coast area further south of Monterey as an alternative to the high mountain parks.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by eagleswings
Thank you for the help.
I'm from Chicago. Clothing won't be an issue but we are not used to mountain driving.

I'm from Milwaukee -- we're both much more experienced with driving in snowy/icy conditions than most Californians. The mountain part isn't appreciably different when it comes to driving, except on some very steep roads you wouldn't be on, regardless.

That said, Lake Tahoe would still come with weather risk, but US-50 is a major thoroughfare that is a high priority for plowing. It closes during heavy snow, but they try to reopen it ASAP.

Tahoe is a less risky bet than Yosemite during the winter, but I suggest building some flexibility into your itinerary. We usually have several days' warning before a major snowstorm, so if you see something ominous on the horizon, consider a Plan B. There are lots of great choices for your time in Northern California and the central coast.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 9:45 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
I think you're missing one of the crucial points for this plan

Originally Posted by eagleswings
Thank you for the help.

if you're driving in the snow,and used to it, that's one thing. But if the road to Tahoe requires chains, which it will the snow, most rental car companies do not allow change to be put on a rental car. So if you had any problems at all you would be stuck.
as many have already commented, we are expecting a bigger snowstorm this year than other years because of El Niņo. So we can't really predict for you what the weather will be like in December.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 11:05 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
If you are flexible on your comings and goings, you can swing Tahoe. That way, in the event the highway is closed or requires chains due to snow, you can plan ahead and/or wait out the conditions.

I would rent an AWD vehicle. In general, when chains are required on the highways to Tahoe, CHP will allow AWD vehicles to drive without chains attached (you may need to carry chains, but the cops don't check IME). When the conditions are so bad that chains would be required even for AWD vehicles, generally they close the entire highway altogether.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by nnn
If you are flexible on your comings and goings, you can swing Tahoe. That way, in the event the highway is closed or requires chains due to snow, you can plan ahead and/or wait out the conditions.
Yeah, that's the key with winter and California mountains. Be prepared to stay longer in the mountains to let a storm pass through. Also be prepared to scrap the idea altogether and go somewhere else.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
So, where did you end up going? How did it turn out?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.