Wiki Posts
Search

Muir Woods

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2015, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Independent
Muir Woods

I will have an extra day in the SF area on the Friday before the faire. I will be staying down just south of the airport. I was thinking about driving up to Muir Woods. Do you think this would be worth it?

I don't have all day - and there are a few things I really want to stop off in SF proper to do. I might do a short walk/easy hike, about a half hour or so, I would probably be more interested in driving around what appears to be the 101 loop. However, it looks like you have to drive through downtown SF just to get there, and then the $7 toll plus the $20 for tollpass for the car. While I have wanted to see redwoods, and like to see the country side, is it really worth it?
Old Apr 30, 2015, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
(1) Go first thing when it opens.
(2) Take 280N to 1 to avoid downtown - you'll go through Golden Gate Park and then over the GG Bridge. Yes, the GG Bridge is worth it. If it is clear (or even clear-ish, with gaps through fog) going up into the Marin Headlands for the views is worth the price of admission. Muir Woods isn't very far north of there.

Old Apr 30, 2015, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Oh. Um... I thought the tress were a bit higher than that. If that is what it is like I would not be looking at anything but the road straight dead in front of me.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Cloudship
Oh. Um... I thought the tress were a bit higher than that. If that is what it is like I would not be looking at anything but the road straight dead in front of me.
That is the Marin Headlands, not Muir Woods.

As I wrote in a profound journal when I went to Yosemite with my Jr. High class back in 1978 or so, I scribed "All the trees are big, except for the small ones." You will find that Muir Woods has lots of big trees. And I can attest to this, because even at a much younger age, I could differentiate the small ones.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 8:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
...back in 1978 or so, I scribed "All the trees are big, except for the small ones."
That is so true, and poignant. I am going to let that sink in for a few days.
Old May 1, 2015, 11:44 am

Golden Gate Bridge has a "one time Payment" solution, no need to purchase a toll tag...

http://goldengate.org/tolls/tolltipsforvisitors.php

Driving North in the morning is a reverse commute, and not the worst thing in the world, where are you staying / driving from.
Old May 3, 2015, 7:08 pm

Programs: EVA Infinity
Muir Woods is one of my favorite places to go. This link has some helpful information for first-time visitors: http://www.nps.gov/muwo/planyourvisit/index.htm

There are hikes with different lengths (http://www.nps.gov/muwo/planyourvisi...d-vicinity.htm --the map here doesn't show the different hikes as clearly, but I remember that when I went to the park, they had maps that clearly showed which trails were the 30min hikes and which were the longer ones)

If you would like to do a hike but would prefer to stay closer, may I recommend the San Francisco Land's End hike? The trees aren't as impressive, but the path goes along the bay, and there are portions where you can walk down to the water. There's also a labyrinth that's pretty cool, and a large rock that you can climb for a great view that is right next to the labyrinth. Parking isn't a problem at either end of the trail, although I usually park in the Sutro Baths parking lot (not sure if that's the official name, but the lot is at the Sutro Baths end of the trail rather than the Legion of Honor end.)

Labyrinth:
https://localwiki.org/sf/Land%27s_End_Labyrinth

Land's End info:
http://www.nps.gov/goga/planyourvisit/landsend.htm
http://parksconservancy.org/visit/pa...lands-end.html
Old May 8, 2015, 1:25 pm

There is no toll northbound on the Golden Gate Bridge (free direction).

Southbound, after visiting Muir Woods, consider heading east on the Richmond Bridge (free direction), and then back to SF on Bay Bridge, where you can still pay cash westbound ($4, $5, or $6 depending on time/day of week). Three big bridges for the price of one.

The "classic" Muir Woods walk takes about an hour, and is level...along Redwood Creek to the last bridge and back.
Old May 10, 2015, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA, USAir, UA
If you are just looking to see Redwoods, no need to go North of San Francisco into Marin at all. There are a bunch of Parks and open-space preserves that are *also* South of the Airport. Wunderlich Park in San Mateo county has redwood groves, as does Purisima Creek and El Corte Midera open space preserves....if you are willing to do a little walking. Now if you really want to see *lots* of Redwoods with minimal walking, go down to Big Basin Redwoods State Park (southwest of San Jose).
Old May 11, 2015, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mlshanks
If you are just looking to see Redwoods, no need to go North of San Francisco into Marin at all. There are a bunch of Parks and open-space preserves that are *also* South of the Airport. Wunderlich Park in San Mateo county has redwood groves, as does Purisima Creek and El Corte Midera open space preserves....if you are willing to do a little walking. Now if you really want to see *lots* of Redwoods with minimal walking, go down to Big Basin Redwoods State Park (southwest of San Jose).
I saw that. Unfortunately I don't think i am going to have the time to go that far south, as I definitely want to stop at a few places in DT San Francisco, too.

I think I am going to hold off and just plan a trip (hopefully after there is some rain) and just do a nice drive - look like there are a lot of nice parks down in that area. Maybe even stop at the Roaring Camp RR.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 11:29 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold
I've lived in the Bay Area for 30 years, and still have not visited Muir Woods. I almost got the family motivated enough to head out there last weekend, then something "more interesting" to the kids came up. again. I need to get out there this summer before the weather changes.

I hear that there's not many parking spaces there? Take a shuttle from Sausalito? Or if you show up at 9am is that early enough?
Old Jul 2, 2015, 12:05 pm

Parking can be tricky at Muir Woods. Sometimes you have to take a shuttle.

But I have a much better idea than the standard tourist plan for Muir Woods: do a hike down to Muir Woods (and hike back up). Here's the route: http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/746981579

This 4.5-mile loop hike is extraordinarily beautiful. Muir Woods proper, the lowest part of the hike, is fantastic, but so is every other part. Redwoods galore.

Parking is a breeze if you do this. From the GG Bridge, take US-101 North to the Hwy. 1 exit. Highway 1 uphill to the right on Panoramic Hwy. Take Panoramic for about 3 miles. Go straight at the Muir Woods Road intersection (signs for Muir Woods tell you to turn left). Park either across from the Mountain Home Inn, or if that's full, on a dirt road just north called Gravity Train Road. Here's a close-up map.

Enjoy! It's a hike you'll never forget. There's a cafe at the Muir Woods visitor center if you want to get a meal/snack half-way through.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold
Awesome tip! thanks, I'll try to get the family moving early one of these weekends and will report back.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 9:27 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by dhuey
But I have a much better idea than the standard tourist plan for Muir Woods: do a hike down to Muir Woods (and hike back up). Here's the route: http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/746981579

This 4.5-mile loop hike is extraordinarily beautiful. Muir Woods proper, the lowest part of the hike, is fantastic, but so is every other part. Redwoods galore.
I've done this route, too, and heartily recommend it if you're able enough for the longer hike. It avoids the parking problems and minimizes the struggle getting through the slow-moving crowds at the Muir Woods "end" of the trail.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
I've done this route, too, and heartily recommend it if you're able enough for the longer hike. It avoids the parking problems and minimizes the struggle getting through the slow-moving crowds at the Muir Woods "end" of the trail.
Would you agree that this is suitable for anyone at an average fitness level? There are some stretches with steep climbing, but you can always take rest breaks on those. I think if someone can walk 4.5 miles on a flat trail, they can do this, though they might need to slow down and take breaks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.