Reload this Page >

Taxi use plummets in San Francisco 65 percent in 15 months

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taxi use plummets in San Francisco 65 percent in 15 months

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2014, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
In addition to this Uber implements "surge pricing". Rates are multiplied 1.5x, 2x, or even more at times of high demand and low supply. One driver in the Bay Area told me that downtown San Francisco routinely experiences surge pricing during weekday morning and evening commutes.
Rumor has it that Uber drivers are manipulating surge pricing to up rates.

Surge pricing kicks in when there's more passengers available than drivers. So drivers are marking themselves as being unavailable, waiting until surge kicks in, and then suddenly becoming available and taking the rides at surge prices.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by docbert

Surge pricing kicks in when there's more passengers available than drivers. So drivers are marking themselves as being unavailable, waiting until surge kicks in, and then suddenly becoming available and taking the rides at surge prices.
This would require quite a concerted effort among drivers, and from what I gather, a slim minority of drivers ever communicate with each other.

As it stands, going offline = missing out on fares that go to other drivers.

Not to mention Uber's algorithm is more than low supply -> higher price; I sometimes see 3x surge, sometimes just "no drivers available."
Old Oct 6, 2014, 9:45 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by docbert

It seems believable that individual drivers who think surge pricing might be imminent may wait until surge kicks in, then take a ride. However, anything beyond that (e.g., collusion among drivers to create a surge) sounds rather difficult to pull off, IMHO.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Having lived for years in SF I can confirm all of the taxi horror stories above are true. It is impossible to get a taxi quickly (if at all) in the outer neighborhoods, pretty much anywhere outside of major tourist and entertainment areas. That being said I've had generally good experiences with SF taxis, and for shorter trips they are cheaper than Uber (to be fair I've never taken Uber but I am familiar with the pricing).

As noted above, the taxi medallion system does not make sense for anyone but the taxi monopolies. Every single economist agrees that consumers are better off when competition increases. Also better for drivers who make far more with Uber and Lyft. These companies only exist because taxis are failing to meet consumer needs.

I am sure there is still a place for taxis, not everyone has a credit card, smartphone or the patience to wait for a car when taxis are lined up on the street. But taxis will have to clean up their act if they want to feed on the cream rather than the dregs.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 9:01 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
Last two taxi rides:

- Credit card machine "broke" - took three tries for charge to go thru. Printer broken. Waited 5+ minutes for driver to find paper and write something by hand.

- Driver using paper street guide for directions. Steadfastly refused to take any advice from Google Maps. Got lost twice. Late for meeting.
My last twinge of empathy for taxi drivers is gone now.

Today I was in the Financial District with a friend from a place that apparently doesn't have Uber yet, who had an important presentation to give this evening near Pac Heights.

Three consecutive in-service taxi drivers (lights on, no passengers) refused to pick her up.

One drove right past without "noticing" us. The next refused to go to Pac Heights because he had "an appointment". The third had his doors locked and wouldn't open them... (and no, neither of us looked sketchy)

That's five consecutive unsatisfactory taxi drivers. With my encouragement, she ended up taking an Uber and getting to the presentation late (but at least she got there).

As has been mentioned on FT, I do have a family member who works at Uber, so I'm not entirely unbiased. However, at this point, I think I would take a Lyft over a taxi, it's so bad.

Every bit of ridership trouble they have brought upon themselves and the service level is only getting worse.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 9:15 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Today I was in the Financial District with a friend from a place that apparently doesn't have Uber yet . . . .
Uber is available in all of S.F. (and beyond), so not sure what you mean by this.

Three consecutive in-service taxi drivers (lights on, no passengers) refused to pick her up.
No surprise. It's especially bad this week, with the DreamForce conference and baseball both going on.

As has been mentioned on FT, I do have a family member who works at Uber, so I'm not entirely unbiased. However, at this point, I think I would take a Lyft over a taxi, it's so bad.
Seems like you are selling Lyft short. The only thing that I would imagine taxis as having better than Lyft is insurance, but even this is just speculation and nebulous. With respect to service and experience, Lyft is fairly similar to UberX, IME.

Every bit of ridership trouble they have brought upon themselves and the service level is only getting worse.
Yep.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 9:38 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by nnn
Uber is available in all of S.F. (and beyond), so not sure what you mean by this.
Friend from a different city with no service yet - so no reason to have the app already installed.

No surprise. It's especially bad this week, with the DreamForce conference and baseball both going on.
But I still don't understand it. If you're in-service, empty car, and there is a non-sketchy fare _right in front of you_, while you're stopped at a light, why wouldn't you take it?

Seems like you are selling Lyft short.
Purely from a selfish perspective of not wanting to support "the competition" when Uber is in the family.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by nnn

Seems like you are selling Lyft short. The only thing that I would imagine taxis as having better than Lyft is insurance, but even this is just speculation and nebulous. With respect to service and experience, Lyft is fairly similar to UberX, IME.
Lyft requires subscription through Facebook, so it is a no-go for me.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 10:04 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I was with you, but was pleased to see that the FB tie-in is no longer needed. You can set up an account simply via your cell phone #.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 12:59 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
me also

Originally Posted by cblaisd
I was with you, but was pleased to see that the FB tie-in is no longer needed. You can set up an account simply via your cell phone #.

I installed it once you could use your cell # like uber.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 4:23 pm

Lyft drivers can see their passengers' Facebook profile photos, just FYI.

In theory this is a convenience for the driver (if the pickup location is crowded) but in practice many FB photos are group shots or otherwise useless to the driver other than for voyeurism.

I still use Lyft whenever it is cheaper than UberX (as it is in the Detroit area; I have Uber and Lyft receipts for the same route, $61 and $48). I have never had serious problems with any Lyft or Uber drivers in 200 rides.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.