Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

Warning -- TSA Pre-check now closed most of the day at SJC terminal B (Southwest)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Warning -- TSA Pre-check now closed most of the day at SJC terminal B (Southwest)

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2014, 9:09 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Arrived at 11am to find PreCheck had just closed. A TSA guy explained to me that they had just gotten a new supervisor at SJC who decided to close it at all times except absolute peak hours. This guy thought it was done to cut costs.

This means that PreCheck customers have to wait in the regular line as there is no elite line available. If you make a big deal about it, they will let you go through a metal detector and leave your shoes on, but you have to pick the right sub-line at the i.d. checker area.

Southwest is by far the largest operator at this airport so this is a huge blow.
Old May 24, 2014, 1:33 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
This means that PreCheck customers have to wait in the regular line as there is no elite line available.
Are you sure about that bit? I've been through the priority line there several times, most recently a few months ago.

If you're not checking luggage you always have the option of using Pre in terminal A, presuming they aren't doing the same thing there. It's a bit more of a walk to the gate, but not that much further.
Old May 24, 2014, 10:51 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by docbert
Are you sure about that bit? I've been through the priority line there several times, most recently a few months ago.

If you're not checking luggage you always have the option of using Pre in terminal A, presuming they aren't doing the same thing there. It's a bit more of a walk to the gate, but not that much further.
Terminal A seems unaffected. Went through there last night around 9 PM to catch a red-eye. Only one TDC, but had Pre on one side, and regular pax on the other. Both lines were very short.
Old May 25, 2014, 10:25 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Good, I'll use terminal A.

Docbert, I saw a CLEAR line at terminal B, is that used for elites too? If so, is it just elites on Southwest?
Old May 25, 2014, 11:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Docbert, I saw a CLEAR line at terminal B, is that used for elites too? If so, is it just elites on Southwest?
There used to be an elite line over to the left against the wall. I think I've only been there once since CLEAR opened, and from memory they had changed the lanes slightly, but the line itself and it's general location was still the same. That said, I haven't been to SJC at all for the past few months, so it could have changed again.

It's sign-posted as First Class and SouthWest/Alaska elite, but I don't think I've ever had anyone even as much as check my elite credentials, let along care that I'm UA.

I generally use the Terminal B entry as I'm normally returning a car to the rental car center and heading to The Club at SJC, so going via B is shorter than walking to A, and quicker than catching the bus. If the changes to Pre are permanent then this might change my choice in future...
Old Apr 7, 2016, 10:02 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy BS, Hertz & Avis Pres
Recent experiences at SJC?

Anyone have recent experience using Precheck at SJC (San Jose) in the evenings?

I will be taking a 9:30p flight out of SJC next week and trying to decide if I go to Terminal B, or hope Terminal A pre-check is open later. I do have CLEAR, but it looks like ClearLanes close at 8p, and I am not sure I will be there in time (or that I'll want to hang at SJC for an hour+).

Thanks.
Old May 10, 2016, 11:43 am

Programs: Motel 6 Super Diamond
I recently went thru on a Saturday afternoon (I think around 1PM) and went through Terminal A, there was a separate pre-check lane to the BP checker while there were maybe ~100 people in the regular lane, but I was given the card that I could leave my shoe/coat on etc but had to go through the regular line and was asked to remove my laptop, liquids etc.
Old May 10, 2016, 12:06 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Matthew330Ci
I recently went thru on a Saturday afternoon (I think around 1PM) and went through Terminal A, there was a separate pre-check lane to the BP checker while there were maybe ~100 people in the regular lane, but I was given the card that I could leave my shoe/coat on etc but had to go through the regular line and was asked to remove my laptop, liquids etc.
Same thing last Friday ~4PM Terminal A. Lane was open but then dumped into the regular security lane, given card to go through the WTMD.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K
[deleted]

Last edited by tomsundstrom; Jun 26, 2016 at 10:49 pm
Old Jun 27, 2016, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
I went through terminal B precheck last Thursday at 10:45 am. No indication it would be closing soon. There was no line at precheck and probably not more than about a 2 minute wait in the regular line.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.