Wiki Posts
Search

Oakland AirBART tram expected start Fall 2014

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2014, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold, CC Gold
Oakland AirBART tram expected start Fall 2014

Saw this in the news the other day. The Oakland airport started testing its tram. Its supposed to replace the buses with the benefit of using a Clipper card to pay. Price may be higher than current rates - TBD.

Pictures: http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...14-5089455.php
http://www.contracostatimes.com/news...ector-unveiled
Video: http://www.bart.gov/news/articles/2014/news20140121
Old Jan 23, 2014, 10:47 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Very cool - I've been watching the progress with interest each time I use OAK. I still have not-so-fond memories of my college days and shuffling on/off AirBART buses
Old Jan 24, 2014, 2:59 am

Programs: BA, bmi, USAir, Aeroplan, AirBerlin, Marriott, SolMeliaMas, BAAWorldpoints
Originally Posted by OskiBear
Very cool - I've been watching the progress with interest each time I use OAK. I still have not-so-fond memories of my college days and shuffling on/off AirBART buses
I remember using Humphrey Go BART to get to Berkeley in 1978.....
Old Jan 24, 2014, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
It will be a vast improvement on AirBART with its antediluvian attitude to fares, its rude drivers and sheer discomfort. However, the BART extensinon is ill-conceived. If you want to persuade people that it's more convenient taking BART to the airport, you don't make them change trains and platforms (with all their bags) at the stop prior to the airport. If they'd done the job properly, it would attract far more custom.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 5:22 am

Programs: BA, bmi, USAir, Aeroplan, AirBerlin, Marriott, SolMeliaMas, BAAWorldpoints
For example, what they did in Vancouver.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 9:24 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
It will be a vast improvement on AirBART with its antediluvian attitude to fares, its rude drivers and sheer discomfort. However, the BART extensinon is ill-conceived. If you want to persuade people that it's more convenient taking BART to the airport, you don't make them change trains and platforms (with all their bags) at the stop prior to the airport. If they'd done the job properly, it would attract far more custom.
Given that the vast number of passengers that use BART do not go to the airport, it is ill-conceived to create a stub line that goes there (as was done for SFO).

Since the peoplemover (please, not tram, a tram is something completely different) is automated, it can run very often with high reliability, so there should be close to zero waiting time when transfering.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 7:01 pm

Good news, I guess. I wish there was more waiting at the terminus than Southwest. (I know I'm exaggerating. A little.)
Old Jan 29, 2014, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
It is very similar with that they have done at JFK with the AirTrain. I don't find it that hard at all and people are using it. It is certainly better than the more complicated bus.

That said, too bad most of the legacy carriers have abandoned Oakland save US Airways and Delta. With US merging with AA, they may disappear from there too.

I'd give anything to have a more convenient public transport option to SJC - it is the pits.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 4:06 pm

Correct me if if wrong, but the fare for the people mover is expected to be around $4-6 (plus BART fare from Airport/Coliseum Station), from what I have heard. That's more expensive than the SFO surcharge, which I thought was too much...

Also, will BART hold trains for people mover transfers? If not then you could be in for a 10-20 min wait at one of the not-so-nice stations in the BART system.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 6:08 pm

Programs: VX Silver, UA Silver, AA Gold
If nothing else, it beats possible having to wait on the street for the AirBART. Nothing makes me feel safer than waiting around outside the the deep east.

I for one am psyched, because for work they force us to use OAK over SFO, even if we live in the city or peninsula.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by goodndntwin
If nothing else, it beats possible having to wait on the street for the AirBART. Nothing makes me feel safer than waiting around outside the the deep east.

I for one am psyched, because for work they force us to use OAK over SFO, even if we live in the city or peninsula.
And in spite of that, look! Programs: VX Silver, UA Silver, AA Gold
Old Mar 4, 2014, 6:41 pm

Programs: VX Silver, UA Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
And in spite of that, look! Programs: VX Silver, UA Silver, AA Gold
The irony is that for work all I fly is DL and WN.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 9:06 pm

BART OAK Airport connector opening soon

http://sfist.com/2014/10/30/oakland_...ector_migh.php

I can't wait to ride it
Old Oct 31, 2014, 1:03 pm

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Will this make it possible to get from OAK to SFO totally on BART? Assuming it will, how much would it cost?
Old Oct 31, 2014, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Richard1148
Will this make it possible to get from OAK to SFO totally on BART? Assuming it will, how much would it cost?
Yes. And probably about $3000.

But seriously, at current fares, it should be $21.40 (Coliseum Station to SFO is now $15.40, plus $6 OAK surcharge coming).

That is just an absurd sum of money for a 32 mile trip on public transport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.