48 min connection time at SFO to KOA

Subscribe
I'm flying YVR - SFO - KOA with connection time at SFO to KOA being only 48 min. It is one ticket with both flights UNITED.
I'm planning to only bring one carry on bag (I don't know if this matters and is going to help time wise).
Is it possible to make a connection within this time frame assuming that the flight from YVR is not too late? I'm hoping that in August the weather in San-Francisco is better with less fog and etc.
Should I be aware of any tips in case the flight from YVR is late and perhaps of anything that could allow me to spend less time getting to the connection gate? I'm paranoid, especially having had some bad experience with United before.

Many thanks :-)
Due to USA preclearance in YVR your flights will arrive and depart from terminal 3 in SFO, so no need to go landside and reclear security. 48 mins is lots of time, assuming your flight from YVR is remotely on time. If not, it depends how long you're delayed of course. That said, YVR has a pretty good on-time departure record. SFO not so much, but usually weather related delays there affect all flights so there's a good chance your outbound will be delayed as well.

Overall your chances are very good but anything can happen these days, especially with the 'new' United.
Thanks braffy,

My flight from YVR should be departing at 6AM, so I'm hoping that this will help.

Well, if United will be too bad I will avoid flying United in the future.
Chances are good you'll be just fine with your transfer at SFO. Give yourself enough time in YVR though, since you'll need to clear US customs. I wouldn't arrive later then 4:30am for a 6am flight, closer to 4am would be safer.
Quote: Well, if United will be too bad I will avoid flying United in the future.
Wait.. what? You booked a 48 minute connection, and you'll avoid United in the future if you miss it?

United has multiple departures a day to KOA. If they don't get you on your scheduled departure, they'll get you there on a later flight.
Quote: You booked a 48 minute connection, and you'll avoid United in the future if you miss it?
This is not exactly what I mean. I already had very unpleasant experience flying with United. It is not their fault that the flights are sometimes delayed or cancelled, but to deal with customers is their responsibility. They were not able to deal with people appropriately that time or even politely. Of course, this might be an isolated incident, so to speak.
Quote: This is not exactly what I mean. I already had very unpleasant experience flying with United. It is not their fault that the flights are sometimes delayed or cancelled, but to deal with customers is their responsibility. They were not able to deal with people appropriately that time or even politely. Of course, this might be an isolated incident, so to speak.

Why book it on united?

Why not go down to bellingham or Seattle and fly out on alaska or another airline?

Since you clear customs before your depart from Vancouver the 48 min layover between flights should be fine.

The likelihood of a delay is minimal at that time.

If you cant make your flight...you will either have to wait for a while---or they re route you through LAX or another airport.
If everything is on time, you will probably be fine. But there are a few things working against you. First, August is a heavy-fog time for SFO, which means your inbound could be delayed (though you could only hope your connection is similarly delayed). Second, United has had horrible on-time performance these last few months. Check the UA boards. Third, United has been putting some flights in Terminal 1. If you have an inbound in T1 and outbound in T3 (or vice versa), you would need to catch the shuttle, which may take a while. Lastly, flights to KOA are not that frequent, and subsequent flights could be full. I suppose you could be re-routed via another Hawaiian island, if needed.

All in all, I would try to get yourself a longer connection, if it is not too late.
nnn, thanks for your detailed response.
I'm traveling this Thursday, so it is a little late. There are even direct flights to KOA from YVR but I'm not that flexible.
My flight was few minutes early yesterday and only 7 min late today. It also landed at terminal 3, so there is some hope I suppose.

I will be a lot more careful next time with my connection times. flyertalk is really helpful.
SFO weather basics: Arrivals before 9 am are rarely delayed (due to lack of volume), therefore departures before about 10 am are not going to be delayed by late incoming aircraft.