FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   San Francisco (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-francisco-468/)
-   -   SFO FIS facilities? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-francisco/1345984-sfo-fis-facilities.html)

B747forever May 14, 2012 2:24 am

SFO FIS facilities?

In a couple of weeks I will fly from CDG-SFO on AF (arr 12:45). I know that the INTL terminal at SFO is divided into A gates and G gates. Do both of these concourses have separate FIS facilities, or is there a central one for both concourses? What is immigration like at around 12:45?

Eastbay1K May 14, 2012 10:05 am

One central facility on the lower level. I never arrive at that hour, so I can't help in that regard.

squeakr May 14, 2012 11:49 am

if i knew what FIS stood for

I might be able to help.... :)

donsug May 14, 2012 2:43 pm

Don't know what FIS is so can't help on that.

With respect to immigration, there are many international flights that arrive between 1100AM and 200PM. This time period is probably the busiest of the day for immigration.

B747forever May 14, 2012 3:18 pm

FIS= Federal Inspection facilities, basically immigration (CBP)

So it will be busy around 1pm?

lhrsfo May 14, 2012 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 18571910)
One central facility on the lower level. I never arrive at that hour, so I can't help in that regard.

One facility divided into two halves. G and A arrivals don't meet until after they have cleared Customs. I'm sure that they can easily switch agents between halves but I know that they don't always do so. Arriving in G on UA at exactly the same time as my cousin arrived on BA in A, it took me 50 minutes to get to the head of the US line, whereas it took her less than 5 minutes.

TWA884 May 15, 2012 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by squeakr (Post 18572755)
if i knew what FIS stood for

I might be able to help.... :)

From San Francisco International Airport - questions frequently asked by the media:
How can the media get access to the Customs area of the International Terminal?
Media access to the Federal Inspection Services area (or “Customs area”) at San Francisco International Airport is strictly controlled by Customs and Border Protection (CBP) of the Department of Homeland Security. All requests for access to the FIS Area must be directed to CBP

minhaoxue May 15, 2012 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by B747forever (Post 18570025)
In a couple of weeks I will fly from CDG-SFO on AF (arr 12:45). I know that the INTL terminal at SFO is divided into A gates and G gates. Do both of these concourses have separate FIS facilities, or is there a central one for both concourses? What is immigration like at around 12:45?

The A gates at the International Terminal have their own separate Immigration/ Custom facilities. During your time of arrival, you could have VS, EK and BA arriving around your time. So, AF usually has around ~380 paxs, VS ~ 330 , EK ~ 300 and BA ~ 300. it could be a little busy but they do staff the Immigration by ratio to arriving passengers.

Eastbay1K May 16, 2012 7:59 am

Originally Posted by minhaoxue (Post 18583015)
The A gates at the International Terminal have their own separate Immigration/ Custom facilities. During your time of arrival, you could have VS, EK and BA arriving around your time. So, AF usually has around ~380 paxs, VS ~ 330 , EK ~ 300 and BA ~ 300. it could be a little busy but they do staff the Immigration by ratio to arriving passengers.

Wow - they are so identical, I figured they were the same. I usually arrive A, rarely G, so I suppose I never really noticed.

B747forever May 16, 2012 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by minhaoxue (Post 18583015)

Guess it is going to be busy then.

minhaoxue May 16, 2012 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 18585067)
Wow - they are so identical, I figured they were the same. I usually arrive A, rarely G, so I suppose I never really noticed.

Yes, they are quite similar but for one thing, in the A- Terminal, the US Lines are on the Right side and in the G-Terminal, the US lines are on the Left side. Suttle difference.