Reload this Page >

SFO Int'l Terminal A to Terminal 3 Connection

Old Mar 15, 2012, 1:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: HA Pualani Platinum, FPC Premier, HHonors Gold, BA Bronze

Hello,

First off, sorry for another post on connection times, but it's been a while since I've been to SFO.

I have an upcoming flight next month connecting in SFO with a 1 hour layover. Is it possible to get to Terminal 3 (domestic gate 70s) from international terminal A without going out from the secure area? And the more important question, is it doable in the 1 hour time frame?

FYI I'm arriving on Hawaiian Air, from HNL so I'm assuming I do not need to clear customs...

Any help or advice would be great!
Thanks!!!
Old Mar 15, 2012, 1:46 am

Programs: UA/MM/1K
cutting it close IMHO

Especially since you will have to leave a secure area and then get back thru security..not to say that the run from one end of the airport to another won't be fun...
Old Mar 15, 2012, 2:01 am
Original Poster

Would not having check baggage expedite the travel time? i was thinking to only bring a carryon...Does it make my situation any better that I arrive in SFO at 10pm?
What would be the quickest way to get there...walking, airtrain?

Last edited by kbr420; Mar 15, 2012 at 2:12 am
Old Mar 15, 2012, 9:12 am

Programs: UA, VX, AA
If your flight is on time, you should be able to make it. At 10pm SFO terminal 3 is not very busy. If you can walk at a brisk pace, the walk is not too bad. The other option is AirTrain, but I don't think you save much time, if any, on that, but others may feel differently. Taking a carry-on is not a bad idea.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by malsf1
If your flight is on time, you should be able to make it. At 10pm SFO terminal 3 is not very busy. If you can walk at a brisk pace, the walk is not too bad. The other option is AirTrain, but I don't think you save much time, if any, on that, but others may feel differently. Taking a carry-on is not a bad idea.
Thank you malsf1! I'm thinking I will be doing a "Home Alone" act between the two gates

In any case, does anyone have a suggested route to take? According to the maps, it seems inevitable to not miss a security checkpoint. Is this the case?
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:59 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
It's a pretty easy walk. You'll go down a set of escalators that connects you to the corridor that runs between the international terminal and T3. When you first come out on the T3 side you'll see the start of the counters for UA and eventually the security checkpoint. I regularly walk that coming on on BART and it's about 10 minutes as you do cover some distance. I never bother with AirTrain.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 4:22 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

whoops, wrong post, deleted!
Old Mar 15, 2012, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by kbr420
Hello,

First off, sorry for another post on connection times, but it's been a while since I've been to SFO.

I have an upcoming flight next month connecting in SFO with a 1 hour layover. Is it possible to get to Terminal 3 (domestic gate 70s) from international terminal A without going out from the secure area? And the more important question, is it doable in the 1 hour time frame?

FYI I'm arriving on Hawaiian Air, from HNL so I'm assuming I do not need to clear customs...

Any help or advice would be great!
Thanks!!!
If your inbound is on time, you have no checked bags, and you can walk at a reasonable pace, then no problem.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
If your inbound is on time, you have no checked bags, and you can walk at a reasonable pace, then no problem.
thanks rob! and thank you everyone who provided useful info!

I also contacted SFO cust. svc. and they actually responded fairly quickly! Very informative and helpful as well. I somewhat have a little more confidence now. Just hoping that my first leg arrives on time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.