Car rental return

Old Nov 21, 2014, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Car rental return

I'll be picking up a National rental car at SFO next week, spending some time in the Napa Valley, and then dropping it off in San Francisco on a weekday at midday. From all the discussion I've seen about traffic, I'm rather dreading the return trip, though fortunately I can leave after rush hour.
I'm currently scheduled to return it to the O'Farrell Street location (between Mason & Taylor). As I'm planning to take the Bay Bridge, and I believe there's some construction mess around the closure of the Folsom St off-ramp, would it nevertheless be a better choice to drop the car at the Folsom St location (between 2d and 3d)?
From wherever I drop the car, I will be heading to the Embarcadero Center.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 4:32 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is always some sort of construction in SF, often not publicized, and usually with the ultimate goal of pessimizing traffic. The good residents of San Francisco view all autos (except their own) as evil. Busses are evil too if they're not run by Muni.

For example, the main 'official' route between the 101 Freeway and the GG bridge is via Van Ness so San Francisco recently decided to reduce Van Ness from 3 lanes in each direction to 2.

The conclusion? Just bite the bullet and pick the return location most convenient for you as all of them will likely be messy.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 11:38 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
I'd go for the 2nd and Folsom location rather than Union Square.

I think it'd be slightly less crazy and less hassle. Not a bad walk back to downtown if that's where you're winding up.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 1:29 pm

I work at Third and Folsom. The garage is actually on third and Folsom. I am not sure how they do returns.
A weekday at mid-day is not usually bad traffic, but that Is a long walk to the Embarcadero Center. The O Farrell location is also a long walk. If you are taking a cab, go with o Farrell. Otherwise flip a coin.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd also go with the SOMA location, but make sure you're completely done with the car well in advance of the 2 pm start of the afternoon rush hour. Leaving Napa at 11 would probably work, and I'd check traffic to make sure it won't be faster to take the Golden Gate rather than the Bay Bridge.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
I had a relatively smooth ride in (left Napa around 1030, I think)--there was some heavy traffic headed to the East Bay, but once past that turnoff, it was very light, including on the Bay Bridge, until I got into the city.
I returned the car to the O'Farrell Street location (ease of cab finding prevailed), but if I did it again I would opt for the SOMA location.
My thanks to the FTers who helped me out on this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.