ANA to Fly SJC-NRT

Subscribe
In case you didn't see the announcement or don't read the ANA forum -

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/all-n...-jose-sjc.html
That sounds like a very smart business decision.
SJC has been sending press releases to everyone about this (including me, how did I get on their list?). It is unclear when service would start as it could be as late as 2013. But with the new 787, I assume there will be flat bed seats in business so it would be a serious Z fare candidate if the fare is competitive.
It will be interesting to see if *A partner UA modifies their schedule at all to feed in a few passengers from elsewhere. SJC-ORD resumed? Or a lounge? I can dream.
This is a nice bit of progress for SJC. There is definitely O/D traffic for the route. How much of a jumbo jet it would fill by itself, I don't know. But I do hope it helps spur UACO, as a *A code share partner, to improve its connections at SJC.
Quote: But with the new 787, I assume there will be flat bed seats in business so it would be a serious Z fare candidate if the fare is competitive.
The aircraft will have 46 J and 121 Y seats. No F. The J product will have their new flat bed seats.

If this flight is going to be filled by Z fares, it is not going to last that long.

SJC oferd 60 % reduction in landing and facility costs the first year and 30% the following 2-3 years. They are also providing free advertising and other options to promote the flight.

Connections on the NRT side is going to be important for this flight. I can see connections to hong kong, singapore, vietnam and possibly china. On the SJC side, it will be almost all O&D.

It will be interwsting to see how they will deal with the lounge issue.
Quote: This is a nice bit of progress for SJC. There is definitely O/D traffic for the route. How much of a jumbo jet it would fill by itself, I don't know. But I do hope it helps spur UACO, as a *A code share partner, to improve its connections at SJC.
why? UA flies to NRT from all of their hubs except DEN. i doubt they are starting this route for connecting traffic.
Quote: why? UA flies to NRT from all of their hubs except DEN. i doubt they are starting this route for connecting traffic.
Adding SJC-NRT adds at least one more one-stop route DEN-xxx-NRT
I don't see how long this is going to last ...

SFO is growing at the expense of the other airports and (as some of the comments have suggested), having BART go directly to the terminal is a major factor.

SJC is, well let's face it, in the boondocks for anybody to make the trek over from the city (787 notwithstanding). SFO is a much better airport.

IMO, of course
Umm... the boondocks? SF has been the bay area's second largest city for what - two decades?
I can't imagine this flight will have a lot of paying premium class customers. As others said, it will be mostly O&D. All the US Star carriers have flights at SJC, but they are all hub flights. Nobody is going to want to connect 2x+ to get somewhere unless they want miles or to fly on a 787.

Maybe it'll be a good flight to find premium awards though. I'd love to fly on an 787.
Quote: Maybe it'll be a good flight to find premium awards though. I'd love to fly on an 787.
I was thinking that as well. I'd much prefer SFO, but I'll gladly drive to SJC if that's the difference between getting a premium award or not. The 787 would also be a bonus. I had an F award on ANA last year, and that was very nice. The ANA F lounge at Narita was amazing.
Quote: I can't imagine this flight will have a lot of paying premium class customers. As others said, it will be mostly O&D.
Why does O&D mean no paying premium class passengers? Lots of businesses closer to SJC than SFO, and plenty of execs that I know that still get business for TPAC.
Quote: Why does O&D mean no paying premium class passengers? Lots of businesses closer to SJC than SFO, and plenty of execs that I know that still get business for TPAC.
I agree -- with corporate discounts, there are still quite a few tech companies that will pay the bucks to have their execs in C. Also, if the destination is somewhere in mainland China (e.g., location of a tech vendor) and there are no nonstops from SFO, then they might as well fly out of SJC and connect in NRT.
Quote: Why does O&D mean no paying premium class passengers? Lots of businesses closer to SJC than SFO, and plenty of execs that I know that still get business for TPAC.
There are a lot of businesses where execs don't get business class either. I think businesses are a lot stingier than they used to be and it seems to move toward the stingy direction and not the other way around.

If AA found that there was enough premium paying business at SJC, they would have kept that SJC-NRT flight longer even perhaps downgrading it to a 763, however, they axed it completely. Air Canada's flight to Ottawa got axed too.