Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chinese in San Francisco?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2011, 1:46 am
Original Poster

Chinese in San Francisco?

Do any FTers out there have recommendations for a top chinese restaurant in SFO?

Many thanks.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 2:48 am

Programs: AA Plat
Don't bother in the airport...or are you asking in the city itself?
Old Feb 25, 2011, 3:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jakuda
Don't bother in the airport...or are you asking in the city itself?
City itself. Sorry for the lack of clarity.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 9:11 am

Programs: UA, VX, AA
For dim sum, I would recommend Yank Sing (downtown) or Ton Kiang (Geary Blvd. in the avenues). For traditional Chinese/Seafood, R&G Lounge or Jai Yun in Chinatown. There are several others with different styles - do you have a particular region in mind?
Old Feb 25, 2011, 11:46 am

House of Nanking

I used to go to the House of Nanking. Line out the door every night of the week. Sadly have not been back since I moved away.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by SaigonCyclo
I used to go to the House of Nanking. Line out the door every night of the week. Sadly have not been back since I moved away.
Don't bother with this place. I remember the first time I went there more than 10 years ago and it was great. Went back last year and it was really disappointing. The food now reminds me of something a little better than PF Changs (a chain americanized restaurant). And steamed rice doesn't automatically come with the meal. You have to order it separately.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by malsf1
For dim sum, I would recommend Yank Sing (downtown) or Ton Kiang (Geary Blvd. in the avenues). For traditional Chinese/Seafood, R&G Lounge or Jai Yun in Chinatown. There are several others with different styles - do you have a particular region in mind?
Although I like spicy food, my colleagues aren't huge fans. I'm trying for a dinner with clients, so probably not dim sum (though I might try Yank Sing myself during the day). I was recommended Tommy Toy's or Eliza's if that's any help?
Old Feb 25, 2011, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA, VX, AA
I like Eliza's, but many dishes can be spicy. Tommy Toy's is quite good, but for Chinese food, imo, very pricey. However, if price is not an issue, you won't be disappointed. Also, Yank Sing is pricey for dim sum. If you have transportation, I would suggest Koi Palace in Daly City, or take the Muni 38 Geary out to Ton Kiang (between 22nd & 23rd aves) for dim sum.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 11:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Authentic or Tourst Chinese?

It depends on what you want. If you want "tourist" Chinese, where most of the patrons are not chinese and the food is made more for a western palate, then go to:

House of Nanking,
Brandy Ho's,
Tommy Toy's

If you want true authentic chinese, where most of the patrons are chinese and you're getting truly authentic chinese-style food, then go to:

R & G Lounge
Mayflower
Hong Kong Lounge in SF
Hong Kong Flower Lounge in Millbrae

Yank Sing is very good, and it is fairly authentic. However, it's incredibly expensive, and not worth the money. But Yank Sing is a good "hybrid" place. It's quite authentic, but it caters to a Western palate. It's not a total tourist trap, but in my book, I'd consider it a "rip-off" because of the exorbitant prices.

Koi palace is great for dim sum, but the line can be 2 hours or more. Besides dim sum, Koi palace is not known for the rest of its food. You can virtually just walk in anytime to eat there as long as it's not dim sum.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 12:31 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
anyone try Fang in Soma?

Sister resto to House of Nanking i think...couple of friends said it was quite good, and nice ambiance (for a client type dinner0
Old Feb 26, 2011, 12:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFflyer123
It depends on what you want. If you want "tourist" Chinese, where most of the patrons are not chinese and the food is made more for a western palate, then go to:

House of Nanking,
Brandy Ho's,
Tommy Toy's

If you want true authentic chinese, where most of the patrons are chinese and you're getting truly authentic chinese-style food, then go to:

R & G Lounge
Mayflower
Hong Kong Lounge in SF
Hong Kong Flower Lounge in Millbrae
Thanks for that, it's very helpful. Of the authentic four restaurants you have quoted, are any considered "fine dining"? Although I'm Chinese, I expect some non-Asian colleagues may not want the true HK experience... If none of them are "fine dining", I am thinking Tommy Toy's the way to go!
Old Feb 26, 2011, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by ck2003
Don't bother with this place. I remember the first time I went there more than 10 years ago and it was great. Went back last year and it was really disappointing. The food now reminds me of something a little better than PF Changs (a chain americanized restaurant). And steamed rice doesn't automatically come with the meal. You have to order it separately.
Sad to hear this. I used to go there in the early 90's and it was great!
Old Feb 26, 2011, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by drif
Thanks for that, it's very helpful. Of the authentic four restaurants you have quoted, are any considered "fine dining"? Although I'm Chinese, I expect some non-Asian colleagues may not want the true HK experience... If none of them are "fine dining", I am thinking Tommy Toy's the way to go!
Hong Kong Flower Lounge and Yank Sing are very much "fine dining" by Chinese restaurant standards. Mayflower is "very nice", but not fine.

My suggestion is that if you have western colleagues and you want good chinese food, go to Yank Sing. It's very expensive, but it's a very nice place with good chinese food.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA EP 4MM, UA 1MM, DL 1MM
As others have posted, I like Yank Sing for Dim Sum and R & G Lounge for regular Chinese. Both happen to be near the hotel I stay at so they are convenient. Yank Sing is expensive for dim sum.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 4:12 am
Original Poster

Thank you all. I'll let you all know how we go next month.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.