Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > California > San Francisco
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 21, 11, 1:52 pm   #1
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SFO
Posts: 302
Access to Int'l from Domestic

I know it's possible to get to either A or G (not both) from domestic, but I can't remember which. Any help?
igopogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 11, 1:54 pm   #2
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Denver
Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG, EY Gold, AR Plat, DL FO, SPGPlatinum
Posts: 13,758
G yes, A no.
SFO777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 11, 10:55 am   #3
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: PHL, EWR
Programs: UA; AA;AGR;HH Gold;Hyatt Plat;Hertz Gold 5*;National Executive; Johnnie Walker Gold
Posts: 1,402
Has anyone tried to get through security at A with just a United domestic boarding pass? I have a long layover and a few Delta Skyclub passes I would like to use.
__________________
http://my.flightmemory.com/rittenhousesq
R.I.P. United Airlines. April 5, 1926 - March 2, 2012.
rittenhousesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 11, 12:28 am   #4
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, California,USA
Posts: 14,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by rittenhousesq View Post
Has anyone tried to get through security at A with just a United domestic boarding pass? I have a long layover and a few Delta Skyclub passes I would like to use.
Never tried it, but I doubt that it would work.

However, the Delta Skyclub isn't in the A concourse AFAIK. It's in the south terminal and landside -- so you shouldn't need a boarding pass to get into it under any circumstances. It's upstairs on the mezzanine, roughly behind the Delta ticket counter.

Unless it was moved recently? Someone correct me (and Delta's web page) if it has.
RichardInSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 11, 6:58 am   #5
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Denver
Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG, EY Gold, AR Plat, DL FO, SPGPlatinum
Posts: 13,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardInSF View Post
However, the Delta Skyclub isn't in the A concourse AFAIK. It's in the south terminal and landside -- so you shouldn't need a boarding pass to get into it under any circumstances. It's upstairs on the mezzanine, roughly behind the Delta ticket counter.
Unless it was moved recently? Someone correct me (and Delta's web page) if it has.
There are actually two SkyClubs at SFO. The domestic one is indeed in T-1 pre security. The Int'l SC is post security in the A concourse of the International Terminal.
SFO777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 11, 11:05 am   #6
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Berkeley, CA USA
Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Posts: 28,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardInSF View Post
Never tried it, but I doubt that it would work.
I've done this twice and it's saved me a ton of time. When I fly United, I park in the International Terminal G lot, walk down the long hallway to the International Terminal, go through security at G (usually a very short line), then walk down that hallway connecting to the domestic terminal. Then I take a look at the long lines at T3 security (even the elite one can be slow) and feel very good about my decision.

On both occasions, no one mentioned my domestic boarding pass and gate. I don't think they care at all. If anyone balks, I suggest saying that you're going to the United Club right there in G post-security before your domestic flight.
dhuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 11, 1:53 pm   #7
Moderator, United Airlines, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: SFO, CDG, PBI
Programs: Over-Entitled COdbaUA-1kMM, HH Plebe, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Posts: 25,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuey View Post
I've done this twice and it's saved me a ton of time. When I fly United, I park in the International Terminal G lot, walk down the long hallway to the International Terminal, go through security at G (usually a very short line), then walk down that hallway connecting to the domestic terminal. Then I take a look at the long lines at T3 security (even the elite one can be slow) and feel very good about my decision.

On both occasions, no one mentioned my domestic boarding pass and gate. I don't think they care at all. If anyone balks, I suggest saying that you're going to the United Club right there in G post-security before your domestic flight.
As have I but be aware that G has/prefers to use body scanners so you'll have to deal with being an opt-out (but that's a discussion for another forum )
__________________
Moe, Larry, the cheese
goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 11, 3:21 pm   #8
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, California,USA
Posts: 14,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuey View Post
I've done this twice and it's saved me a ton of time. When I fly United, I park in the International Terminal G lot, walk down the long hallway to the International Terminal, go through security at G (usually a very short line), then walk down that hallway connecting to the domestic terminal. Then I take a look at the long lines at T3 security (even the elite one can be slow) and feel very good about my decision.

On both occasions, no one mentioned my domestic boarding pass and gate. I don't think they care at all. If anyone balks, I suggest saying that you're going to the United Club right there in G post-security before your domestic flight.
Yes indeed that is the case, but the poster's question was about using a United boarding pass at international terminal concourse A, and I still doubt that it would work.

And I think they are starting to install full body scanners into the elite check-in line for domestic, only there are still none if you go to the far right to the security area just before Burger King.
RichardInSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 11, 4:44 pm   #9
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Berkeley, CA USA
Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Posts: 28,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardInSF View Post
Yes indeed that is the case, but the poster's question was about using a United boarding pass at international terminal concourse A, and I still doubt that it would work.

And I think they are starting to install full body scanners into the elite check-in line for domestic, only there are still none if you go to the far right to the security area just before Burger King.
Whoops! Sorry, folks -- I should read these things more closely. I have no idea about getting into International A with a domestic boarding pass, and I agree with RichardInSF that there is reason to think that might not be allowed. Perhaps your best shot if they balk is to say you're heading to an airside lounge in A.

I wonder if there is a way to call the Delta lounge in A and ask them about this. They might know if this is possible, and perhaps they can clear you to enter the terminal. My sense is that TSA gives airlines a lot of discretion to issue passes for entry even when the person has no flight in the terminal. United gave me one of these in Boston recently so that I could hang out with some friends who had an earlier flight in a different terminal. If "just hanging out" can suffice, then I would think "just heading to a lounge" might also.

In rittenhousesq's case, though, perhaps the landside Delta lounge on the third floor of Terminal 1 makes more sense. It's nothing special, but it's nice enough.

Last edited by dhuey; Nov 19, 11 at 4:52 pm.
dhuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 11, 7:56 pm   #10
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 24,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardInSF View Post
Yes indeed that is the case, but the poster's question was about using a United boarding pass at international terminal concourse A, and I still doubt that it would work.
Hard to say - there is quite the hodgepodge out of A now, including a handful of domestic flights (B6), and an occasional AC flight (which might even have a UA BP issued on a codeshare).
__________________
***Going to Buenos Aires? 2 bedroom cozy San Telmo apartment for much less than a hotel! paseocolon6a at gmail.com***
Eastbay1K is online now   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 3:23 pm.