FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   San Francisco (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-francisco-468/)
-   -   Access to Int'l from Domestic (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-francisco/1271567-access-intl-domestic.html)

igopogo Oct 21, 2011 12:52 pm

Access to Int'l from Domestic

I know it's possible to get to either A or G (not both) from domestic, but I can't remember which. Any help?

SFO777 Oct 21, 2011 12:54 pm

G yes, A no.

rittenhousesq Nov 13, 2011 9:55 am

Has anyone tried to get through security at A with just a United domestic boarding pass? I have a long layover and a few Delta Skyclub passes I would like to use.

RichardInSF Nov 13, 2011 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by rittenhousesq (Post 17441827)
Has anyone tried to get through security at A with just a United domestic boarding pass? I have a long layover and a few Delta Skyclub passes I would like to use.

Never tried it, but I doubt that it would work.

However, the Delta Skyclub isn't in the A concourse AFAIK. It's in the south terminal and landside -- so you shouldn't need a boarding pass to get into it under any circumstances. It's upstairs on the mezzanine, roughly behind the Delta ticket counter.

Unless it was moved recently? Someone correct me (and Delta's web page) if it has.

SFO777 Nov 14, 2011 5:58 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF (Post 17445081)
However, the Delta Skyclub isn't in the A concourse AFAIK. It's in the south terminal and landside -- so you shouldn't need a boarding pass to get into it under any circumstances. It's upstairs on the mezzanine, roughly behind the Delta ticket counter.
Unless it was moved recently? Someone correct me (and Delta's web page) if it has.

There are actually two SkyClubs at SFO. The domestic one is indeed in T-1 pre security. The Int'l SC is post security in the A concourse of the International Terminal.

dhuey Nov 18, 2011 10:05 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF (Post 17445081)
Never tried it, but I doubt that it would work.

I've done this twice and it's saved me a ton of time. When I fly United, I park in the International Terminal G lot, walk down the long hallway to the International Terminal, go through security at G (usually a very short line), then walk down that hallway connecting to the domestic terminal. Then I take a look at the long lines at T3 security (even the elite one can be slow) and feel very good about my decision.

On both occasions, no one mentioned my domestic boarding pass and gate. I don't think they care at all. If anyone balks, I suggest saying that you're going to the United Club right there in G post-security before your domestic flight.

goalie Nov 19, 2011 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey (Post 17475033)
I've done this twice and it's saved me a ton of time. When I fly United, I park in the International Terminal G lot, walk down the long hallway to the International Terminal, go through security at G (usually a very short line), then walk down that hallway connecting to the domestic terminal. Then I take a look at the long lines at T3 security (even the elite one can be slow) and feel very good about my decision.

On both occasions, no one mentioned my domestic boarding pass and gate. I don't think they care at all. If anyone balks, I suggest saying that you're going to the United Club right there in G post-security before your domestic flight.

^ As have I but be aware that G has/prefers to use body scanners so you'll have to deal with being an opt-out (but that's a discussion for another forum ;))

RichardInSF Nov 19, 2011 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey (Post 17475033)

Yes indeed that is the case, but the poster's question was about using a United boarding pass at international terminal concourse A, and I still doubt that it would work.

And I think they are starting to install full body scanners into the elite check-in line for domestic, only there are still none if you go to the far right to the security area just before Burger King.

dhuey Nov 19, 2011 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF (Post 17481516)
Yes indeed that is the case, but the poster's question was about using a United boarding pass at international terminal concourse A, and I still doubt that it would work.

And I think they are starting to install full body scanners into the elite check-in line for domestic, only there are still none if you go to the far right to the security area just before Burger King.

Whoops! Sorry, folks -- I should read these things more closely. I have no idea about getting into International A with a domestic boarding pass, and I agree with RichardInSF that there is reason to think that might not be allowed. Perhaps your best shot if they balk is to say you're heading to an airside lounge in A.

I wonder if there is a way to call the Delta lounge in A and ask them about this. They might know if this is possible, and perhaps they can clear you to enter the terminal. My sense is that TSA gives airlines a lot of discretion to issue passes for entry even when the person has no flight in the terminal. United gave me one of these in Boston recently so that I could hang out with some friends who had an earlier flight in a different terminal. If "just hanging out" can suffice, then I would think "just heading to a lounge" might also.

In rittenhousesq's case, though, perhaps the landside Delta lounge on the third floor of Terminal 1 makes more sense. It's nothing special, but it's nice enough.

Eastbay1K Nov 19, 2011 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF (Post 17481516)

Hard to say - there is quite the hodgepodge out of A now, including a handful of domestic flights (B6), and an occasional AC flight (which might even have a UA BP issued on a codeshare).