Search

Help!: Need to watch Soccer Match in SFO International today

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2012, 4:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan
Help!: Need to watch Soccer Match in SFO International today

Hi all,

We are heading off on a mini-RTW from Calgary, Canada via SFO and then on to FRA in LH F. While in SFO there's a big soccer match (Liverpool vs. Man City) at 11:45am Pacific time, that I need to see while we are waiting for our plane. Is there a TV with Fox Sports/ESPN in the IFL at SFO? If not is there somewhere else in the international terminal that I could ask to watch something like this? Usually every TV I see is tuned to CNN.

Thanks,
A Displaced Liverpudialian
Old Jan 25, 2012, 6:09 am

US rights to the League Cup are held by Fox, and the match will be broadcast on the Fox Soccer Channel, which is a secondary channel on most cable systems in the US. I'm sure someone with more extensive experience than I have with the SFO International Terminal will chime in, but I would think your best bet is to find a bar and hope that their cable/satellite system includes FSC.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Cheers Phudnick! Maybe someone knows what the TV situation is in the IFL?
Old Jan 25, 2012, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I was in the SFO International Terminal UC the other day and, whilst the main tv was tuned into CNN, the one beyond the bar was showing the Australian Open tennis - so there must be some flexibility with programming.

As a separate matter, I'm intrigued by the routing, as you will most likely be flying back pretty well directly over Calgary quite a few hours later... I sometimes end up flying LHR-SFO through Calgary.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I was in the SFO International Terminal UC the other day and, whilst the main tv was tuned into CNN, the one beyond the bar was showing the Australian Open tennis - so there must be some flexibility with programming.

As a separate matter, I'm intrigued by the routing, as you will most likely be flying back pretty well directly over Calgary quite a few hours later... I sometimes end up flying LHR-SFO through Calgary.
Thanks lhrsfo. If LH had F from YYC to FRA we'd be all over it, but they only have it for the summer season. That being said with the 747's from SFO we might have a shot at the new LH F with the beds. Fingers crossed on the match and the 747 upper deck configuration.

Come on you Reds!
Old Jan 25, 2012, 7:53 am

Programs: UA *G MM
Wow, all this fuss for the Carling Cup.

These games are on Fox Soccer Plus in the US. Chances that a bar or other public venue has FSC is very small unless they specialize in showing football. Having FS+ is nil.

Your best bet is a good internet connection and http://www.wiziwig.tv/.
If Bloodzeed is showing the game then you get a 1700 kbps feed and near perfect picture, but you probably won't find the internet connection to support it.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gnaget
Wow, all this fuss for the Carling Cup.
You take what you can get!
Old Jan 25, 2012, 9:33 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
May I suggest purchasing a Sling Box for the future? Last Sunday, a friend of mine and I watched the AFC Championship game in our hotel room in Germany from 9:00 pm to mid-night local time. The NFC game was too late for me as I had to get up 5:00 am in the morning. My friend lost interest after Baltimore lost.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 11:46 am

Programs: United Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Exec
Last match I caught at the Yankee Pier bar

They were pretty happy to show a Man City v Utd derby match a few months back.

SFO isn't too bad... I believe some of their bar areas also have add'l channels. (I'm guessing you won't be the only one today)
Old Jan 25, 2012, 12:41 pm

The game will be shown on Fox Soccer Channel. While I obviously have no idea what "package" the lounge subscribes to, I highly doubt it includes this channel. With both Comcast and DirecTv you have to subscribe to a sports package to get it.

Of course, you can ask. But don't hold your breath.

I THINK you can buy a subscription to FoxSoccer.tv (http://www.foxsoccer2go.com/) but that will only give you on Demand rights for today's game starting at 5 p.m. eastern.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Life is good! Emporio Rulli Gran cafe opposite gate 77 in terminal 3 was most accommodating. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.