Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

New San Francisco Restaurant: Twenty Five Lusk

Old Oct 2, 2011, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold

Recently, I had the opportunity to try out Twenty Five Lusk, a new restaurant in San Francisco which you might not necessarily stumble upon unless someone tells you about it. In my case, a friend of mine from Germany told me about it while we were at a meeting in Montana.

It was a wonderful dining experience and I'd strongly encourage you to visit.

My colleague Shannon McClatchey wrote a review of Twenty Five Lusk so I wanted to share it as well as some photos I took of the experience. Using my photos, there are multimedia presentations of the entire meal as well as of the restaurant itself on page two:

Twenty Five Lusk, San Francisco, California – Restaurant Review

Ask someone where Lusk Street is in San Francisco and they would probably shrug their shoulders. In fact, I’ve probably walked past this street a dozen times, but this quiet alley in the China Basin neighborhood hides an amazing dining experience.

From the outside the building could be yet another non-descript rehabbed warehouse. With the $15M renovation of this 1917 meatpacking and smokehouse facility the architects have managed to keep the historical elements while adding modern design comforts. There are also some nice touches that are a reminder of the building’s historic past. Walk downstairs in the bar and you’ll see three Scandinavian-style fireplaces suspended from the ceiling and the cozy, semi-private spaces that were once smokehouse rooms. If the design is reflective of melding the old and the new, the menu from Chef Matthew Dolan puts a distinctly California take on modern American classics.

The offerings include a seasonal tasting menu that’s updated weekly.
<SNIP>
Atticle continues here

Old Oct 5, 2011, 7:19 pm

Programs: Several here and there, but not as many during my road warrior days!
I must disagree

We dined there recently with friends, and it was a complete disaster. We were excited to go based on the background of the current owners. This article in San Francisco magazine sums it up (scroll to the bottom of the article):

http://www.sanfranmag.com/story/cursing-stars
Old Oct 5, 2011, 11:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I heard this, also

Originally Posted by sonomawine
We dined there recently with friends, and it was a complete disaster. We were excited to go based on the background of the current owners. This article in San Francisco magazine sums it up (scroll to the bottom of the article):

http://www.sanfranmag.com/story/cursing-stars
I heard this also. Although I've never been to this restaurant, the Chronicle only gave it 1.5 stars (out of 4):

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/listin...nue?vid=606434

Usually, if there is a good restaurant in SF, there is usually a lot of "buzz" about it: Commonwealth, Frances, Flour & Water, Marlowe. I have not heard much of a "buzz" about this restaurant, despite it being fairly new and "hip".

Again, I've not been here personally, but I read the Chronicle's lukewarm review, so I have not had a strong reason to go here. Moreover, 1.5/4 stars for food is pretty low.

I have been to the restaurants where the owner's are from (Girabaldi's and Farallon), and both of those restaurants are just "okay" in my book: fine to eat at if someone else is paying or if there are no other reservations left, but would NOT go out of my way to dine at either.

But perhaps if someone is buying, I'll check it out!
Old Oct 11, 2011, 12:00 am

Programs: UA 1P, AA Plat, SW AL/CP
Originally Posted by SFflyer123
But perhaps if someone is buying, I'll check it out!
I'm probably biased because someone was buying, but I had a fantastic meal with some great wine at 25 Lusk a few weeks ago. (Maybe it was all the wine that made the meal so much better... )

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.