Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Renting a Car in San Francisco

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2011, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Renting a Car in San Francisco

I am planning a trip to San Francisco in April. We are debating if we need to rent a car for us to get around within San Francisco. We figure with the cost of parking and the cost of renting a car; it will easily cost us $100 a day. If we decide to take taxi around mostly downtown, will it be more cost effective for us to just use taxi and public transportation. We will not be visiting the Golden Gate Bridge. We will be stay at the Le Meridien San Francisco.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 9:58 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Not even a close call. Taxis and public transit.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 12:32 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
totally agree

Originally Posted by nnn
Not even a close call. Taxis and public transit.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 2:36 pm

Programs: SPG, united, delta
yeah, no need at all to rent a car. Just make sure you get a hotel around union square.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 9:26 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Even if you will be visiting the GGB, public transport will get you there.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 3:44 pm

Programs: MR, AA, UA, DL, AVIS and growing
Anything can be done in SF if you want to take extra time or pay higher costs riding taxi's. A car in SF is good idea if you want to get to select locations in a reasonable time and transport many people and carry your belongings.

So depends on your age and physical ability as buses are long waits.

Cable cars do run in many key downtown areas but take time and are fun if you haven't done it.

Depends how many in your party as a car easily transports four people, number of days sight seeing and if you want to see the special drive areas.
Key areas: Pier 39(night), Fisherman's Wharf, GG Park, Presido, Chinatown.

If you plan to stay downtown all the time I guess busing/taxi's/cable cars might be reasonable.

Originally Posted by philipthechen
I am planning a trip to San Francisco in April. We are debating if we need to rent a car for us to get around within San Francisco. We figure with the cost of parking and the cost of renting a car; it will easily cost us $100 a day. If we decide to take taxi around mostly downtown, will it be more cost effective for us to just use taxi and public transportation. We will not be visiting the Golden Gate Bridge. We will be stay at the Le Meridien San Francisco.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 4:45 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by euromannn
Anything can be done in SF if you want to take extra time or pay higher costs riding taxi's. A car in SF is good idea if you want to get to select locations in a reasonable time and transport many people and carry your belongings.

So depends on your age and physical ability as buses are long waits.

Cable cars do run in many key downtown areas but take time and are fun if you haven't done it.

Depends how many in your party as a car easily transports four people, number of days sight seeing and if you want to see the special drive areas.
Key areas: Pier 39(night), Fisherman's Wharf, GG Park, Presido, Chinatown.

If you plan to stay downtown all the time I guess busing/taxi's/cable cars might be reasonable.
I'm just not sure where this is coming from. Parking in SF is often a pain and can be very expensive. If you add in the parking costs, to the cost of the rental, you can take quite a few taxis (which also will carry 4 people) and still come out ahead.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 2:48 pm

Programs: MR, AA, UA, DL, AVIS and growing
I guess the assumption is the person must pay overnight hotel parking charges?

I was able to find free many times parking in most areas by walking a few blocks which includes pier 39 and fisherman's wharf. Then rode the cable cars within the city to see a few sites. Chinatown and downtown were a bit tough for parking but again we were carrying alot of things so a car was good transport and we did find parking.

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I'm just not sure where this is coming from. Parking in SF is often a pain and can be very expensive. If you add in the parking costs, to the cost of the rental, you can take quite a few taxis (which also will carry 4 people) and still come out ahead.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd come out on the side of not renting a car for this particular fact pattern, but be warned that taxis in SF are not as easy to use as in most other cities of similar density. They are OK downtown and from the airport, but there is a serious shortage elsewhere in the city. In Hayes Valley I often cannot get a taxi for hours on end if there is even a hint of rain or it is Friday or Saturday night. It can be an even bigger pain if you are trying to get out to the avenues.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 11:25 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
if you're focusing downtown and GG Bridge

the hotel should be able ot get a taxi for you easily. You can ask the cab driver for his cell # and arrange a pickup at a later time as well - I do it all the time.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 8:33 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by euromannn
I guess the assumption is the person must pay overnight hotel parking charges?

I was able to find free many times parking in most areas by walking a few blocks which includes pier 39 and fisherman's wharf. Then rode the cable cars within the city to see a few sites. Chinatown and downtown were a bit tough for parking but again we were carrying alot of things so a car was good transport and we did find parking.
Yes, that was my assumption. Meter hours at popular locations -- like Fisherman's Wharf area -- were extended and many new meters were added a year or so ago. So it's possible that things have changed for the worse since your last experience.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 2:15 pm

You want a Muni Passport

http://www.sfmta.com/cms/mfares/passports.htm
Old Mar 6, 2011, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, UA Gold, *A Gold, OW Emerald
perhaps to visit the Muir Woods

I have rented a car a few times in San Francisco only to use for excursions outside of the City. Driving a car in San Francisco is a pain. I gladly depend on taxis and public transit.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would definitely rent a car at least for a day to go sightseeing beyond common touristy areas but do so in the city and return the same day to avoid parking charge. Driving in SF is fine IMO but parking is indeed a pain.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.