Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chinese in San Francisco?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2011, 9:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5*, IHG RA, Hyatt Diamond, Amex Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SFflyer123
I agree with this 100%. It is right on the m oney. Koi palace can be okay if you go in the "off" hours for dim sum, like 2-3pm.
Koi Palace is great if you 'tip' the guys in suits. The restaurant typically doesn't allow its servers/hostesses/staff to keep the tips so if you want a table or special service, hand cash directly to the person.

There is a seperate 'line' through the back way that so many of the regulars use to get a table for dim sum. Instead of a 2+ hour wait, you're looking 10 minutes max. They hold tables just for that reason which is why you'll sometimes see a few tables empty despite the long waits.

We didn't know this until we were signing the tip on the cc slip and a guy in a suit came over and said we needn't tip so much on the bill ($100+), but directly tipping is the standard these days.

I know this happens in alot of places if you slip the hostess something to get a table sooner but to have it happen so out in the open with so many people doing it is odd.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 9:49 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
One of our favorite SFO stopover (especially when we get a 4+ hours layover) for a great Chinese meal is at the Hong Kong Flower Lounge in Millbrae, which is a quick 10 minute cab ride away, for dim sum & lunch specials - some served steaming hot from the carts & others cook-to-order. Nothing served in-flight these days (not even back in the 1980's & 90's when doing UA routes JFK-SFO-HKG) come close to what we get. Sometimes, our SFO friends or relatives will pick us up & ride over, chat & have a great meal and drop us off to catch our connection, with a nice "takeout" order en route. Free parking on-site and in a 2nd. lot across the street, but wait time can be long with a line on weekends @ peak lunch hours. (A bit pricer than the avg. Chinese meals by Bay area standard, but it's truely good food - beat those in J anytime)

http://www.crusa.biz/mayflower/HKFL/2316012.html

There are a number of good home style Chinese restaurants in Millbrae, easy to get to from the airport (usually stay in nearby hotels) and either free off-street or on-street parking. Going to "old" Chinatown is out for us nowadays as one can find great places to eat everywhere - otherwise, the Mayflower Lounge on Geary Blvd (in the so called "new" Chinatown districts nearby) is our other popular stop for home style meals, and usually easy to find street parking (unless it's weekend night) - it's been around also like FL for 20+ years.

Last edited by Letitride3c; Dec 21, 2011 at 7:30 am Reason: typo/comments added
Old Dec 20, 2011, 11:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by silver-tls
Koi Palace is great if you 'tip' the guys in suits. The restaurant typically doesn't allow its servers/hostesses/staff to keep the tips so if you want a table or special service, hand cash directly to the person.
Wow, good to know! I never knew this.

Originally Posted by Letitride3c
One of our favorite SFO stopover (especially when we get a 4+ hours layover) for a great Chinese meal is at the Hong Kong Flower Lounge in Millbrae
I agree. Hong Kong Flower lounge (now owned by the Mayflower restaurant group), is excellent. I remember a few years ago, the quality diminished. However, I went recently, and the quality has returned to outstanding. It may be that the Mayflower group replaced the chef or brought in new chefs, but it is simply outstanding now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.